News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Which Rifle for Kingman Shoot?

Started by red headed stranger, March 04, 2012, 07:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red headed stranger

Hi Folks,

I am going to be registering for the March Kingman AS at the Mohave Sportsman Club.  This will be my first Appleseed. I am seeking just a little bit of advice on the gear to bring. 

The three rifles I own that would be suitable for the event are:

An M4-pattern AR with Iron sights and EOtech.
A Smith and Wesson 15-22 With iron sights.
A Marlin 795 with Tech-Sights. 

All three rifles have the hardware for mounting a GI-style sling, and I have slings.  I have enough ammo sitting around for any of the rifles, so ammo cost isn't a major issue at this point.

Will all the shooting for this event will be at 25m, or will there also be 100m+ shooting?  If we will only be shooing at 25m for the whole event, I am guessing that running a rimfire only would be completely adequate.  However, if there is also 100m+ shooting, I am guessing that I should definitely bring my 5.56 AR. 

Also, if you are doing distance shooting the second day, would it be most beneficial to run the centerfire gun both days? 

I'm not trying to obsess too much about gear.  I know software is more important than hardware. I just want to get the most out of the training by bringing the most suitable gear. 

Thanks in advance for your guidance. 

AZbinary

I'm sure your shoot boss will chime in, but even if there is a known distance portion, over 90% will be 25 meter...bring your 795.

If there is a KD event, it will be Sunday, so plenty of time to unlimber the center fire then.

Most importantly, enjoy your shoot!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

GEmanuel

Since you have several perfectly suitable 22s, you might want to bring two. The one you intend to shoot, and a backup. Appleseeds have a way of bringing out various issues with rifles and the spare can be an asset, (you already are familiar with it) if your primary malfunctions.
100 yards with a 22 can be fun, but not being familiar with this range I wouldn't want to speak to the distance shooting aspect.
Good luck, sounds like the 'software' is prepared
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

Sly223

I would bring all three,
Why limit yourself,
The AR will have its application even at 25m,
and the reason for all the .22's on the line is the economy.
I would venture to say that given the choice with $ not a factor,
most or all of us should push to the center fire.
The .22's are a great training tool out to about 200yds.
And the event will cause any sleeping problems to arise,especially with equipment as stated above.
Some of my biggest obstacles as a shooter was equipment malfunctions,
once I got over my own malfunction,
Don't let your equipment sideline you,dealing with equipment issues is part of it,try to make it a small part!
Good luck & practice your dryfire and transitions.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

azmule

Yes -  what they said!   :))

Most of the shooting will be done at 25M, and the stuff we'll be covering at that distance can be just as effectively learned with a rimfire as with a centerfire.  The Kingman range also offers the opportunity for full distance shooting up to 500yds on Sunday afternoon for those that are equipped for it, so bring the AR for that for sure, and bring one or both .22s if you want to save on ammo Saturday - or even just because .22s  are so darn fun to shoot.   O0

Plan on sending a total of around 600 or so rounds downrange for the weekend, whatever combination you're shooting.  Also, the line is not shaded there, so sunscreen, long sleeves, and a good hat are strongly recommended.

See you in Kingman!
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Hartley

What they said - #2.. :)

'Tis better to have and not need..."

So they have a 500m (yd?) range at Kingman?  Excellent - I WILL bring my Garand, then.   But I will have my 10/22s (1 TechSight irons, 1 glass-powered) to start.  And I found some 2-round clips for the Garand, too. 

C U there!

Hartley

red headed stranger

Thanks to youall for the info and the guidance. It's just what I needed to know.  I'll be sure to bring all three rifles with the intention of splitting my time between the ARs and have the Marlin on hand for a backup. 

Thanks for the heads up on the shade situation.  I will plan accordingly! 

See you in a few weeks! 

PaxxAZ

Sorry to chime in Late...

I would focus on using the M&P. My girlfriend just bought one (I have a bit of gun envy over it)however since you have an M4...that would be my focus. The main reason, you will learn your rifles controls over the course of an Appleseed. Also the M&P is easy to break down, clean and Lube (you should do that on Saturday night, for Sunday).

If and/or after you make Rifleman, change it up.

Most importantly, Take a staple gun, and Staples for it...you will need about 400 Staples through the event.
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

AZRedhawk44

Good to see you headed out to a 'Seed, RHS.

Hope to see you at the subsequent Buckeye event on April 21/22, as well!