News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Legislation pending in Florida Senate will criminalize shooting on private land

Started by gcvaughn, February 27, 2012, 10:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcvaughn

Last week in the Florida House, HB 463 was passed 116-0.  This bill was intended to guarantee CWP rights to military members serving in Florida, but language was inserted at the last minute (literally the day prior to the vote) that will criminalize the discharge of a firearm on property used primarily for a dwelling.  This is a bad law and will affect many of us here.  Senator Greg Evers intends to amend SB 998 (the senate counterpart bill) this week with the same language.  See this article in the Pensacola News:
http://www.pnj.com/article/20120224/NEWS01/202240331/Sen-Evers-backs-bill-muzzle-gun-range?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Here is attorney Jon Gutmacher's take on this legislation (as many of you know, Mr. Gutmacher 'wrote the book' on Florida Firearms Law):
http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=Criminal-Lawyer-Blog&Store_Code=FFL

Please contact your state senator to state your position on this.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/
I like shooting with precision.  It appeals to every part of me- AdobeWallsOfFla

douglas34474

I just called every Senator in the phone book. Thanks for the heads up.

Evers is nuts!  %) #)

gcvaughn

Evers is actually a good guy, that's why this is so worrisome.

I spoke to his office today, they called me back and we had a long discussion.  I was told that the NRA officials have vetted this amendment and approve it.  His aide indicated though that the final language is still being considered, and I urged him to rethink the amendment.  I reminded them that this is redundant, as bullets leaving private property and crossing occupied premises is already a violation of law.  My concern is that this creates more legal traps for the Florida gunowner.

I believe that if enough pressure is brought, this could be stopped.  The original bill is a good one, it's this amendment that is bad.  This is time sensitive, as once the amendment is added the vote can occur 24 hours later.

I asked the aide to send me an email clarifying Senator Evers' position, and I am pasting that reply here:

QuoteMr. Vaughn,

Thank you for your email, and for taking the time to speak with me this morning. As we discussed, it is not Senator Evers intent to criminalize the safe, recreational discharge of a firearm on private property. I appreciate you providing the link and sharing your concerns. If you have any more questions or thoughts you would like to share with Sen. Evers please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Greg Brown

Legislative Assistant

Senator Greg Evers, District 2
I like shooting with precision.  It appeals to every part of me- AdobeWallsOfFla

smoakingun

I checked up on the progress of this bill. It passed the senate on Mar 2. The final language is a bit vague, but it specifies discharge of a firearm will be illegal on property zoned as solely residential
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

mattra

I think we (including myself) need to get away from thinking that the NRA necessarily holds the best interest of gun owners and the 2nd Amendment at heart. I am beginning to think that they are purely a lobbying organization for the firearm and ammunition manufacturers and if a law doesn't hamper either of those two businesses, they are okay with it.

Quote from: gcvaughn on February 27, 2012, 05:29:09 PM

I was told that the NRA officials have vetted this amendment and approve it.

aragornelessar86

Quote from: mattra on May 14, 2012, 03:35:08 PM

I think we (including myself) need to get away from thinking that the NRA necessarily holds the best interest of gun owners and the 2nd Amendment at heart. I am beginning to think that they are purely a lobbying organization for the firearm and ammunition manufacturers and if a law doesn't hamper either of those two businesses, they are okay with it.

Quote from: gcvaughn on February 27, 2012, 05:29:09 PM

I was told that the NRA officials have vetted this amendment and approve it.

+1. It's why I am not yet a member. I've seen them do too many things that really concern me.
QuoteWish I was rich instead of so damn good looking
QuoteThose who would trade liberty for a little security deserve neither liberty nor security

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Johnnyappleseed

Have other prorights groups joined in their concern ,GOF or similiar?
good work watching and keeping tabs on all important legislation . Your efforts show in Florida  O0

The NRA is not perfect ,but if you  ever need legal representation for free , you will be glad you kept your NRA membership current.

I heard a story 1st hand where NRA defended a law abiding gun owning member  from some serious charges . This guy told me legal fee's would have been 100 grand . He paid Zero -got his guns back and no record .

I believe it is not in our interest to point out weak points or percieved weak points within the  NRA on this forum . AS had a good liason with NRA at St Louis . Further a few ranges require NRA range certification . When I asked to leave AS fliers at a hardware store in Kingman . Guy asked is this NRA stuff ? I said no ,but we are all NRA members . He said "put them out front , folks pick up fliers on their way out" 
Imagine if I said No they are all this and that .
If we look at where the NRA has a strong base , those states have laws ,I in cal. could only dream of

Another aspect of continuious NRA membership is the right to vote in annual elections in the board of directors.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge