News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

..John Locke..

Started by Josey Wales, February 18, 2012, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josey Wales

John Locke (b. 1632, Wrington, Somerset, England; d. 1704, Oates, Essex) is considered one of the first philosophers of the Enlightenment and the father of liberalism. Although it would not be correct to say that Locke favored democracy, he did advocate limits on the power of the sovereign, confining that person's authority to the protection of the individual's natural rights to life, liberty, and property.

The majority of Locke's liberal positions can be found in his extensive essay entitled The Two Treatises of Government (1689). The first treatise refutes the arguments in favor of the divine rights of kings propounded by Sir Robert Filmer (1588-1653) in his work, Patriarcha. It is the second treatise that contains the essentials of Locke's political theory. Here the philosopher put forward his famous ethical argument regarding the hypothetical state of nature in which humans enjoyed most of their natural rights without the state. From this fundamental assumption stem most of Locke's theories. The fact that property could be freely exchanged, sold, or accumulated in that natural condition led Locke to argue that governments ought not interfere with most aspects of the economy and society. Moreover, no people living in a natural state of freedom would consent to have all their liberty taken away. Therefore, government requires the consent of the people, and this makes all government conditional. The role of the state should be limited to protecting life, liberty, and property from those few predatory members of the human race whom Locke referred to as the "quarrelsome and the contentious."1  Since the role of government is limited, its power should also be limited.

The particular form government took did not greatly concern Locke, except to exclude absolute monarchy. The limitation of powers he propounded came primarily through a separation of executive and legislative roles derived ultimately from the sovereignty of the people. Locke referred to the decision to form a government as the original constitution, composing an authority no lesser power could alter. Moreover, the legislature was authorized by the constitution, and not vice versa. Therefore, a constitution is superior to ordinary laws created by any legislature. The liberal theory of government put forward by Locke had a tremendous influence on later thinkers and politicians. The American Founding Fathers were profoundly influenced by Locke's idea of a limited constitutional regime.

In addition to Locke's role as a political theorist, his system of metaphysics established the epistemological foundations for modern philosophic and scientific empiricism.
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Two Wolves

Thank you for that write up on Locke. ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Johnnyappleseed

Good clear review of Locke's philosophy and his influence on the form of govt our founders implemented . A constitutional republic ,as i understand it .
Thanx Josie
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Josey Wales

..I did not write it, but I did find it and read it and appreciate it, and wanted to share it with all..

http://oll.libertyfund.org/

..a lot of good reads on Liberty!

......Strength & Honor.......JW.......
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Two Wolves

I have just finished reading Ameritopia and the book details how the founders were influenced by Locke, Montesquieu and Tocqueville. Much of our Constitution, Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights are taken from these men's writings.

I highly recommend the book. ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

dragonfly

Thanks for the link JW http://oll.libertyfund.org/

+1 on Ameritopia. Audio version is available as well, for those of us on the road, and time challenged.

Thanks,
D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

R1SGx2

Josey,
Nice -
Thanx for sharing won't be long before everything has a bar code on it.

There is a plan for us, wonder what is in store behind the hidden door.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Two Wolves

Quote from: R1sgx2 on February 20, 2012, 08:55:16 AM

There is a plan for us, wonder what is in store behind the hidden door.

LIBERTY

GEmanuel

Great link to a valuable resource, thanks Joisey Wales
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine