News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Guy

Started by Indecision, February 08, 2012, 08:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Welcome sir. A "service rifle" is perfect for AS, but regardless of what bring - two words: "DRY FIRE".

Check the chamber - empty. Check two mags - empty. Place tiny dot on wall at max distance in your home. Look up the COF here on the forum (printed on AQT). Practice getting into each position - standing, sitting, and prone. Practice smooth, deliberate mag changes. Practice trans from standing to sitting and standing to prone. Get your muscles stretched out for sitting and prone.

When even day comes - just listen and employ what the instructors offer. We didn't invent the AQT - the Army did long ago. We merely pass it on and I can attest that it works. Steady hold factors, six steps to firing the shot, natural point of aim, Rifleman's cadence - don't fuss the shot. Focus on the front sight - let the rear and target go blurry.

Instructing is not a hobby and it will eat up a lot of time, but when that first "soccer mom", or kid, or granddad will not leave until they look you in the eye, shake your hand and say thank you - all of the effort will seem like nothing in comparison. When you tell the story and see the tears in their eyes (and try to hide the same in yours) - it's all worth it.

My heartfelt thanks for your service to date sir, and my respect for your intention to continue to do so. If I may be of service to you in your quest toward becoming a Rifleman Instructor, please do not hesitate to ask. Nil Desperandum.

In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

wcmartin1

Bought one of these a couple of months ago and shot a few matches with it on my M14.  I really like it because it's so stout - http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Ron_Brown_Service_Sling-RBSLING.html

Ordered another one yesterday to put on an M1.

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837