News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

college station

Started by masonred, January 27, 2012, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonred

Anyone know when the dates might be set? Looking forward to shooting there, I know its volunteers that do the work but I'm impatient.

olarmy58

Beats me.  I have PM'ed both Scout and Sir Not Appearing In This Film, but haven't received a reply from either.  Last year's schedule was not out until late Jan or early Feb, and I would have liked to have a bit more time to do some planning and scheduling for them. 

I hope this year that they don't schedule all the shoots thru the fall on home football weekends, because that presents its own set of problems.

Are you located in B/CS?

masonred

floydf

There is a shoot scheduled at the Greenwood Gun Club at  Lake Jackson for Mar 17-18 that looks like it might be about the same distance from Beaumont.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

masonred

Yes but going through Houston isn't like driving in the country, I know its for the appleseed event not a sunday drive.

big 54r

Quote from: masonred on January 28, 2012, 09:30:26 PM
Yes but going through Houston isn't like driving in the country, I know its for the appleseed event not a sunday drive.

you can map out an easy route around Houston to get to Lake Jackson...
I am gonna  check into the Greenwood Gun Club....don't know anything about them.
It's closer to me than Millican so I can get there for a AS much easier.

Is the Lake Jackson AS a women only AS event?
Also is there any word on who the instructors  will be?

masonred

Yes easy to get around Houston or through it, but I moved away from E. Tx (Deer Park) years ago to go to the hill country. An unusual set of events brought me back to a big city. Will go to Lake Jackson if nothing comes up, but it was great in College Station. I'm sure the same shoot bosses or at least some will be the same, and it will be good.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

I am typically in a self imposed blackout on the forum during January. I work in a tax related industry - I am just getting my head above the water and will be catching up on pms.

There is supposed to be a College Station Shoot March 24-25, 2012.

I know sleepy Joe called the range owner and got the dates worked out. They should be on the list of 2012 shoots soon.

We appreciate your patience while we jump through the administrative and technical hoops needed to get this location posted.  O0
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Quote from: big 54r on January 29, 2012, 05:49:31 PM

Is the Lake Jackson AS a women only AS event?
Also is there any word on who the instructors  will be?

The March Lake Jackson event is not a Ladyseed - though I suspect we will see several shooters from the previous Ladyseed held there.

After the Ladyseed held at Greenwood they had numerous requests for a regular Appleseed at that location. Wish granted. There will be another regular Appleseed there in October 2012.

I will be shoot boss for the March Lake Jackson event. I'm still working on getting other instructors signed up.  ~~:)
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

masonred

Great plan to be there March 24-25, thanks for the information.

olarmy58

OK, if the shoot is firm for 24-25 Mar in College Station I will start working on my son to come over for the weekend so we can go.

Masonred, see you in CS in March.

OK shooters - College Station 2012 dates are now officially on the schedule.  :)

March 24-25
April 28-29
May 12-13
June 23-24
August 25-26
September 29-30
October 27-28
December 1-2
Ladyseed Man Slave

olarmy58

Thanks for the info, Sir.  There must be a considerable lag in putting the entries on the Appleseed schedule page, because as of the time of this post there is nothing for CS showing up on the schedule.

Are you working any of the shoots in CS or Davilla this year? 

masonred

Just registered for 3/24-25, looking forward to the event and seeing you'll there. Been wrestling with my mosin nagant on the floor and other positions its winning, but I'm getting better. At least it feels like wrestling practicing with that big chunk of wood and metal. The .22 should be easy after that, and I do get to the range with rimfire.
Any insight on accommodations and restaurants would be great.

olarmy58

I can't claim to be an expert on accommodations in CS, but there is a cluster of hotels at the intersection of Hwy 6 and Rock Prairie on the south side of CS which includes a Marriott Courtyard, Howard Johnson's and Quality Suites.  Within about a quarter-mile walk of any of these are serviceable Italian, Mexican, Chinese and "down home" style restaurants as well as a couple of fast food places.  I haven't compared the Appleseed schedule with the A&M  home football schedule, but if any of the events in the fall are on the same dates as football games, many(if not most) of the hotels/motels in the area are usually booked up  as much as a year in advance, so plan accordingly.

For your reference, the site of the Appleseed event is about a 15 mile drive to the southwest of the above-mentioned location.  I don't know anything about Millican, but there may well be hotels/motels and eateries there as well, and that would be within about 5 miles of the shoot. 

If you are interested in traveling a bit farther in either CS or Bryan there a number of other places ranging from just OK to really pretty good.

Reddot

Good work Steve,
Looking forward to seeing you at at least a couple of these events, Sleepy Joe, too!
Chuck

masonred

Only 4 on the schedule for this weekend hope the weather is good and the ground has dried.  Who has committed to the shoot?

Quote from: masonred on March 21, 2012, 11:37:27 PM
Only 4 on the schedule for this weekend hope the weather is good and the ground has dried.  Who has committed to the shot?

See you there!
Ladyseed Man Slave

Ghentry

I am registered and will be there.  This is my first Appleseed and I am looking forward to it. 

Quote from: Ghentry on March 22, 2012, 07:15:07 PM
I am registered and will be there.  This is my first Appleseed and I am looking forward to it.

Welcome!

It's going to be a beautiful weekend. If anyone has a friend, spouse or acquaintence bring them along. Walk-on shooters are welcome. We only have 5 pre-registered. We do have a few loaner rifles.

See you there!
Ladyseed Man Slave