News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ok, Virginia, let me hear from you.

Started by The Wolfhound, January 24, 2012, 10:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

The paper work is done and I am trying to get rolling on issues here in Virginia as the new State Coordinator.  Lets face it we know all I need your help getting things done.  Of course I will need you on the lines once we get some shoots on the schedule but I will need you to help keep me on task as we go through the year.  My first priorities are to make contact with our traditional ranges.  I have contacted KC at Black Creek and requested space in their schedule.  KC has not locked in the schedule yet but feels certain we will have the first week of December as usual.  I have asked for addition space if such can be had.  I am tracking down contact info for C2 and Cavalier and those will be next for me.  Keep you eyes open for additional places.  I know that SgtMace is working on Bedford Rifle and Pistol Club.  This is the place to chime in and tell me you are following what I am doing and to tell me when I need to refocus on other aspects.  I am directly soliciting your input here and will not object to you calling me out if I wander off from the job.  Let me hear from you.

gr8horses2003

Wolfhound,
How about some AS in western VA, say Charlottesville or Staunton area?  Both C'ville and Staunton have active rifle and pistol clubs and great ranges.

What are the critieria for hosting an AS?

Can you provide a list of individuals in western VA who have attended AS?  Maybe we could get together and see if we can come up with some i-deers?  Biggest knothole I see is instructors.

Harry

The Wolfhound

Western Va. is definitely on the radar.  Do you have a specific range to suggest or contacts at one? Our farthest West had been Buckingham County.  That was a private range which previously had active Appleseeders with priviledges.  While I hope we can stilll use it, it does not look good at the moment.   Bedford is being looked at. 
The basics for an Appleseed range would be: a place where one may safely shoot, position shooting, a distance of 25 meters, room for a dozen or more shooters on the line and a location willing to give us both days of the weekend.  An inspection will be done before a new site makes it onto the schedule but that covers the main points.

BeSwift

I'm always working leads in NoVa.. if anything breaks, I'll let you know..
BeSwift (Known border raider)
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

The Wolfhound

Cooperation is a great idea but will be nothing new for this crew.  You are always welcome when you need to escape the ridiculous gun laws of "The Peoples Republic of Maryland" and load a standard capacity magazine.  I do dream of an Appleseed in the District but I wonder if there is any place that could actually hold one.  DC would be serious VA-MD cooperation.

Patent guy

Border Raiders R Us, but I cannot remember any place to shoot rifles that was ever available in DC. 
The old NRA HQ in DC had a pistol range, as I recall, but when NRA HQ moved to Northern VA, I heard no more about shooting matches (of any kind) in DC.
North of DC, in Montgomery County (Gaithersburg?), there is an Izaak Walton League range, and we might find something in Prince George's county.
Truthfully, I'd rather come join you fine folks in Virginia.
Come to think of it...my former co-worker is a life member at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club, and he's also a Mt. Vernon Rev War re-enactor, meaning he can dress up for the three strikes....

District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

The Wolfhound

The begging begins........Patent Guy, please persue your former coworker and the Fairfax club.  What ever I can do to make this work, I am willing to try. 

The Wolfhound

Contact initiated with C2 and with Cavalier.  Time will tell.

Patent guy

Quote from: The Wolfhound on January 26, 2012, 07:02:21 PM
The begging begins........Patent Guy, please persue your former coworker and the Fairfax club.  What ever I can do to make this work, I am willing to try.

Will do.  More to report shortly (I hope).
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

mosinguy

Several weeks ago I went out to "The Cove," located in Gore, VA, just outside Winchester.  I spoke with the owner, and he is in the process of building a covered shooting line.  He was *very* interested in Appleseed.

I will follow up with him in the next couple weeks. 

I'm a brand new orange hat.  any guidance on how I should proceed is *very* welcome.
Join or Die

BeSwift

Quote from: mosinguy on January 27, 2012, 09:35:46 PM
Several weeks ago I went out to "The Cove," located in Gore, VA, just outside Winchester.  I spoke with the owner, and he is in the process of building a covered shooting line.  He was *very* interested in Appleseed.

I will follow up with him in the next couple weeks. 

I'm a brand new orange hat.  any guidance on how I should proceed is *very* welcome.

Mosinguy: It's a bit long to post, but I'll be happy to give you input on my experiences with getting ranges on board or assist if you so desire. Assuming this is private property,  if you're dealing directly with the owner and already have a rapport with him, that's half the battle.. Gun clubs have a lot more "variables" that complicate matters..   BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

gr8horses2003

Wolfhound,
I sent an e-mail to a private nearby range (http://theglorioustwelfth.com/) just now inquiring if they would be interested in hosting a shoot.  I sent an e-mail to the training committee at Rivanna Rifle and Pistol on Friday, but have not heard back from them.  I am going to call Ashby Arms in Harrisonburg tommorrow and discuss with them.  There is another private range in Lexington that I will try to contact early this week.  Is there some way to send a message to you without having to take up space on the board?

The Wolfhound

I am glad to see activity that may lead to additional ranges.  You might just inspire others to do the same so do not worry about taking up forum space too much.  The State Coordinator e-mail address is up and running so Va@appleseedinfo.org should get to me.

gr8horses2003

Ashby Arms not open today, so sent a detailed e-mail.  Still beating the bushes!

sgtmace

Now that's the spirit gentlemen. And as I recall a good book says- where the Spirit is there is Liberty.
Thanks a million for your diligence.
sgtmace
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force: Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -- Patrick Henry

gr8horses2003

No go on the local range...only does sporting clays.  I'll keep trying.

Sent an e-mail to Rivanna Rifle and Pistol, but haven't heard back.

gr8horses2003

Sent e-mail to Blue Ridge Shooters in Buena Vista.

The Wolfhound

Keep on going.  I am concentrating on our traditional ranges but will soon be able to follow up on any new suggestions.  The more they hear the name "Appleseed", the easier it will be to get them onboard.  Keep preaching it brother!

gr8horses2003

So I heard back from Ashby Arms - nothing around Harrisonburg, but they are working on a "private range" and are definitely interested in holding Appleseeds.  More to come later on down the road.

Other than that, nobody...nobody, has even had the courtesy to reply to my e-mails one way or the other...not looking very good for manners. 

Now, I've put up a post on AR-15.com in the hometown section asking if anyone has any i-deers.  We'll see....

gr8horses2003

Wolfhound or Sgt. Mace,

Halp!   Halp! Blue Ridge Shooter's Club is very interested.  I am going to their range near Lexington/Buena Vista tomorrow AM to talk to a representative tomorrow morning.  Can one of you or anyone who can represent Appleseed go?  Call me, please.

Harry
number and E-mail address deleted by moderator

The Wolfhound

Harry, Be careful putting your phone number out on the public side.  I have sent you a PM but timing is a bit tight to join you out there.

mosinguy

I was out at the Cove.  They remain interested, but their current facilities are, in my opinion, only marginally suitable.

an ordinary car would not make it to the range area if the conditions aren't good or the driver committed.  I had no trouble in my Escape, so it doesn't take 4wd, but I wouldn't take my Civic.

They are, however, building a KD range which should be completed this summer.

I've got the bug in their ear, and will continue to follow up with them as their KD range proceeds.

I've got another range (indoor) in my sights.  They're a profitable range, so donating a couple days to a charitable cause might benefit them.  Will update.
Join or Die

The Wolfhound

Mosinguy, keep going.  Once I have some trifold brochures (due any day) I will send you a stack.  Leaving a few at each range will spread the word, keep us in front of them and may get us some shooters to further spread the word.  It is all good.  PM your address and such, would you?

NavyIrish

Wolfhound,

I've already posted AS flyers at the rifle range at IWLA Fairfax-Chapter.  Next time I go shoot, I'll starting championing an AS event.

Navy Irish
"The man who loves his country on its own account, and not merely for its trappings of interest or power, can never be divorced for
it, can never refuse to come forward when he finds that she is engaged in dangers which he has the means of warding off." --Thomas Jefferson to Elbridge Gerry, 1797.

mosinguy

NavyIrish - There's also a chapter in Loudoun County.  if you have an in with them, that'd be great! 

according to their page: http://www.loudouniwla.org/facilities_usage.html
they seem pretty open to this.  The only drawback that I'm seeing is that Sunday shooting requires some flexibility.  If I read their rules correctly, there's no shooting on Sundays before 11am, and it may require their RSO be present.

If your membership make the way easier, cool.  otherwise, I'll start to reach out to them.
Join or Die

The Wolfhound

Not shooting before 11AM on a Sunday is not a particular difficulty.  We adjust other portions of the Course of Instruction to make it work.  At our Mechanicville shoots we are restricted until 1PM but we "git er done".   At  Buckingham we pause when the folks would be coming or going from church but resume once the doors would be shut.  Good oportunites to tell parts of the story or discuss real distance shooting, etc.  It is not a problem.  Getting on one of those ranges would be super.  Keep working on them.  Anything in NOVA is more than we have had before and NOVA should be a fertile area for us.

mosinguy

Ramseur - my first AS - had a similar restriction, iirc

not a stumbling block, but just something to be aware of.

NoVA is definitely fertile ground, and I'm optimistic about our growth here, now that we've got two riflemen as "boots on the ground" there.
Join or Die