News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2012: What are going to do about it?

Started by 9mm4545, January 24, 2012, 05:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

As 2012 has now fully descended upon us, we need to consider how we can make Appleseed bigger and better than last year. We have a couple of new venues but overall our biggest problem is filling up the ones that we already have. So how do we do that? Relentless and endless promotion is the answer IMHO. If every instructor made it a goal to bring a new person to each event this would be a great start. We have had some success at gun shows and whatnot but the message of Appleseed need not be limited to "gun people". I believe that we can make a big impact by the use of the "Liberty-seed (or Library-seed)" events. A two hour event at night, indoors, on a weekday is far easier to staff and run than a typical weekend shoot. A widespread realization and heartfelt appreciation for our extraordinary heritage is quite possibly more likely to save the country than skill with a rifle--although both are needed. If you have a group that I or any of my fellow instructors can get in front of to speak about Appleseed, with or without the shooting part, please be the force that makes it happen. Get a contact number, let me know, and we can get the message of Liberty out to as many people as possible. Many organizations are constantly on the lookout for speakers; why not make it the message of Appleseed?

Here are some great ideas which we should try in the coming year. Yellowhousejake up in Indiana has a couple that I plan to implement:

"Demo AQTs: I am convinced that this is a good thing and I would like every Shoot Boss to work it into their COF for 2012. I understand that there are times when it is not appropriate or time does not allow a demo. But with new shooters, or those who may have that deer in the headlights look, it can be a valuable tool for the Shoot Boss to calm the shooters, and the play by play description during the demo provides another chance to reinforce any POI needed.

Instructor Re-qual: Re-qualification will be a bit different in 2012. This time you must re-qual on someone else's rifle. If you own a tricked out 10-22, borrow a stock Savage semi auto. If you own a Marlin 795, borrow a Remington 597. If you have a 15-22 with a monster scope, borrow a stock 10-22. In fact, stop shooting your rifle, bring it for the other instructors to shoot, and when you shoot an AQT, leave your rifle in the case and shoot AQTs with as many other rifles as you can through the year. Let's all find out what it is like to shoot with something different, so next time you see someone on the line with a XYZ rifle having trouble, you can say "I know how to make this work, the XYZ likes to be held like this..." We can only be better for the exercise. Did I leave the 25 meter part off? Well yes, yes I did. In 2012 every instructor should try to get KD qualified as well.
"

The use of demo AQT's does show that the instructors can actually shoot and it does give a little trigger time at an event. Now if there is any question as to whether you can shoot the score on any given day, then it is time to get out the mat and the rifle and practice what we preach: perfect practice with dry fire!  ~~:)We have a great range at Rocky Creek Ranch for KD, now with up to 1000 yards. If you have not been there, this is the year that you should go. I cannot say how rewarding it is to make hits on targets you can barely see. As instructors we need to be constantly learning--and getting better.

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

smoakingun

it that case bruce, I will be bringing a bolt rifle for you to re-qual on ~~:)
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

9mm4545

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

pikid89

Im gonna try and run my bolt .270 at the gainesville appleseed   ;D

mosinguy

my first AS was with my Mosin.  I came close to making it, but the transitions got me, and I couldn't make it up on the prone.

my goal is to earn stripes with that rifle. 
Join or Die

9mm4545

Shooting The Score with a Mosin would be a tough act to follow. I found it hard enough with a Garand, I can't imagine doing it with the Mosin. Practice, practice, practice...