News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

United States Shooting Academy(USSA) - Opportunity - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Started by Scarecrow, January 19, 2012, 04:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

E-mail forwarded from Daniel Hensch. (Henschman)

Hi guys,

I wanted to let you know about an upcoming opportunity for the Oklahoma Appleseed crew.  This morning I spoke with Michael Ray, who is an active member of USSA in Tulsa, who is planning on putting on a rifle match at USSA.  The tentative date is May 19.  He was wondering if the Oklahoma Appleseed instructors would direct the match for them.  We would be running the line, providing RSOs, and scoring the targets.  It will be an iron sights service rifle match with categories like bolt action service rifle, classic service rifle, modern battle rifle, etc., out to 300 yards, all from sling supported field positions.  The match proceeds will go to the Folds of Honor charity.  Any instructors who help with the event will also be able to compete in it.  I told him that we would do it.  It will be a great opportunity for getting our foot in the door at USSA, and of course it is right in line with our mission of promoting rifle marksmanship.  At least one of the new owners of USSA is interested in making it a dedicated Appleseed range and hosting regular events.

There is a planning meeting for the event next Saturday, January 28 at 1 p.m. at USSA, which I will be attending.  Hopefully you guys can make it too... I would be glad to have your input on how to run the match. 

Thanks,

Daniel

Patriot Gal

I think this is a good organization and open to Appleseed which is nice.

While this isn't an Appleseed shoot or function, I think if any of our instructors want to help out on an individual basis that is entirely up to them and in that sense, it sounds like a good opportunity.  Right now, we don't have an Appleseed shoot on that date.  And....if they want to wear their Appleseed T-shirts.....never pass up an opportunity for promotional advertisement.   ::)

It's always good to make and build relationships with ranges in our state.  They just might turn out to be one of our favorite Appleseed shoot venues.  O0

I have spoken with the range and they are accepting of us requesting holding Appleseed shoots there.
Scarecrow, will you inquire into setting up some AS shoots there?

Thanks!
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

floydf

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

Patriot Gal

Yes, I saw pictures of the range(s) on their website.  Huge!!!

BTW, who will be running the match? Will it be rifle specific and will it be run like a CMP match?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Surveyor1653

Hey, folks.  Michael Ray, here.

I will be the Match Coordinator and USSA will serve as Match Host.  With Appleseed's experience in running a firing line and scoring targets it was a natural fit to have A'seed instructors run the line and for Project Applesee Oklahoma to be our Match Director organization. 

The format will be generally based on NRA high power match criteria with a few general exceptions.  This match will be all at 300 from four positions:  Standing, Prone, Sitting or Kneeling from Standing & Prone from Standing.  All rifles will be shot with open sights with sling support only(no bi-pods, etc.).  Tie breakers will be highest number in X-ring and then highest number of 10-ring hits for second tie breaker.  All rules are yet to be worked out but we're getting there.  Next Saturday's meeting will be our first with all three parties represented.  It should be a very productive meeting.

USSA's new ownership is looking forward to working with Project Appleseed and the new COO has expressed interest in making the facility PA's unofficial home range in Oklahoma.  Talk has already taken place of an "Oklahoma 100" shoot.

The proceeds, as Daniel said, will go to Folds of Honor Foundation.  They are a scholarship charity located in Owasso.  They benefit the families of servicemembers killed or injured in the line of duty.  I hope that this will be a successful event that becomes an annual occurrence.  I hope to see you there on the firing line.

Regards,
Michael Ray
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court

wcmartin1

Excellent!  Sounds like fun.  Please post more info when it becomes available.

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Patriot Gal

Thank you Michael for your desire to offer an opportunity to instructors within Appleseed to help with charity causes.  Yes, our instructors are experienced in all the things you mention, however as "Appleseed Instructors", we instruct at only scheduled Appleseed shoots under the name of "Appleseed".

If any Appleseed instructor wants to volunteer for such a charity event, that would be their choice.  However, this is not a match that Appleseed is putting on or sponsoring, nor is it a match that the USSA is putting on or sponsoring.  The USSA, if they do allow the shoot, is simply allowing a group of individuals led by yourself, Michael Ray, to come in and put on a shoot on their range.  This group and the match is not associated with Appleseed in any way.  I have spoken with Charles Peters, one of the new owners about the situation.  He is fully understanding the legal ramifications in allowing some to decide that this is an "Appleseed shoot" when it is not.

To clarify, this is not an Appleseed shoot or event, this is not an USSA sponsored event, this is a shoot being put together by a few individuals who want to use Appleseed instructors to run it.  Have I missed anything here?

Being that this is not an "Appleseed shoot", Appleseed, as an organization, will not be "Match Director" over this high powered match.  As such, anyone who attends this as an "instructor" does so strictly as an individual and not as an Appleseed Instructor.  Therefore, they would not be covered under Appleseed liability insurance should something happen. 

Additionally, and for the sake of clarification, there is no "Project Appleseed Oklahoma", we are simply "Project Appleseed".  We are a national organization with instructors and marksmanship clinics in all 50 states.  "Project Appleseed in Oklahoma" would be a more accurate name.

As far as Appleseed is concerned, when I spoke with Mr. Peters, he expressed being very interested in hosting Appleseed shoots at the facility.  We will have an opportunity to go and meet with the range to discuss this.  Currently, any Appleseed shoots in the state of Oklahoma will need to be set up through me, as Regional Coordinator, since there is currently no State Coordinator.  Any AS instructor is free and welcome to contact a range and get things set up, but it needs to have some oversight by me.  If someone is interested to volunteer to make contact with and talk with this range about setting up an Appleseed shoot, pls let me know and we can get a meeting set up. 

Also, FYI.  Appleseed doesn't have any "home" ranges.  What we have are "Host Ranges" and "DARs" which are Dedicated Appleseed Ranges.  We provide for instructor development and training at each and every shoot and in addition, we hold Instructor Boot Camps (IBC) and Rifleman Boot Camps (RBC) throughout the country and within most states for more intensive training.  We have an IBC in 2 weeks in Illinois for any instructor wanting to attend one, and will have an RBC in MO in October.  Right now, we do not have a range for an RBC in OK, so we would use the one in our region (MO.) instead. 

I hope this helps clarify the situation for everyone.    Michael, feel free to give me a call 309-369-4863.
Thanks for all you do for Appleseed,
Patriot Gal

Quote from: Surveyor1653 on January 19, 2012, 10:52:04 PM
Hey, folks.  Michael Ray, here.

I will be the Match Coordinator and USSA will serve as Match Host.  With Appleseed's experience in running a firing line and scoring targets it was a natural fit to have A'seed instructors run the line and for Project Applesee Oklahoma to be our Match Director organization. 

The format will be generally based on NRA high power match criteria with a few general exceptions.  This match will be all at 300 from four positions:  Standing, Prone, Sitting or Kneeling from Standing & Prone from Standing.  All rifles will be shot with open sights with sling support only(no bi-pods, etc.).  Tie breakers will be highest number in X-ring and then highest number of 10-ring hits for second tie breaker.  All rules are yet to be worked out but we're getting there.  Next Saturday's meeting will be our first with all three parties represented.  It should be a very productive meeting.

USSA's new ownership is looking forward to working with Project Appleseed and the new COO has expressed interest in making the facility PA's unofficial home range in Oklahoma.  Talk has already taken place of an "Oklahoma 100" shoot.

The proceeds, as Daniel said, will go to Folds of Honor Foundation.  They are a scholarship charity located in Owasso.  They benefit the families of servicemembers killed or injured in the line of duty.  I hope that this will be a successful event that becomes an annual occurrence.  I hope to see you there on the firing line.

Regards,
Michael Ray

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan