News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dream gun

Started by Treehawk, January 01, 2012, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehawk

If you could have any gun in the world for free and have the ammo for it for free,  what would it be?
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International
When the rich rage war it's the poor who die- Linkin Park

George Hacker

Quote from: Treehawk on January 01, 2012, 07:59:41 PM
If you could have any gun in the world for free and have the ammo for it for free,  what would it be?
I already have it:  United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1

Sadly I have to pay to feed it, but it is worth feeding indeed.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Mudcat

I have to say out of my meager collection I probably enjoy my United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 the most. I have been on a hiatus from my ARs for 1 year today. It was nice to get them out of the safe and do a little shooting today but they just don't do it for me like my Garand does.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Treehawk

just wondering, how much is the m1?
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International

wcmartin1

I've got an M1 and started the year right shooting her today on John Cantius Garand (New Year's) day and she's sweet - 85% hits on a 4 MOA silhouette at 500 meters with a ~70 year-old open-sighted battle rifle and ~60 year-old M2 ball ammo while slung-up from prone.  :o  At that distance the target is smaller than the standard M1 front sight.  Any misses I'm sure were due to driver error.

I also have a couple of M1A's I like very well, but I've got my sights on one of these next -

http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-2-2-1.aspx

Git-R-Done!  :---

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

George Hacker

Quote from: Treehawk on January 01, 2012, 10:36:59 PM
just wondering, how much is the m1?
Check out the following site:  http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

Field grade M1s start at around $500.00 and the price goes up from there.  I bought mine around 30 years ago when they sold from the Dept of Civilian Marksmanship (now the CMP) for around $150.00.  I didn't get to choose the grade of rifle, but I am very pleased with it.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Dougum

Depends on what I'm going to use it for. 600+ yards = Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 with a 4-16x40 scope, (God forbid) a bipod, and some of my custom made handloads. Otherwise It'd be my Grandpa's old off duty .38 special Smith and Wesson.
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

Treehawk

just the basic one. that civilian model that you can get by attending an appleseed. well not for free but you know what i mean

Rocket Man

For an all-around Rifleman's rifle, the Garand is tough to beat. 

Mine's a simple Service Grade, 1954 HRA.  About $600 from CMP.  First target I ever shot at after getting it zeroed was a Redcoat.  Cleared it.   ;)
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Treehawk

nice. what is the ammo cost compared to say an ar-15

Rocket Man

Spendy.  The Garand fires .30'06, and it likes a particular formula made for the Garand.  You can fire any old .30'06 through it but you should put in a ported cylinder cap (about $25) if you aren't firing Garand-specific ammunition to avoid wearing out its action.

You can still get old surplus ammunition from CMP for about $0.50 a round, last I checked, but 5.56 will be considerably cheaper.

For that reason alone I shoot my AR-15 more often than my M1 Garand (and on occasion my M1 Carbine).  But between the two, the Garand is just plain cooler, reaches farther, and hits harder.

My Garand is the only rifle of mine that has a name.   :o
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Unbridled Liberty

WCMartin- how do the FA rifles compare to the LRB's? http://www.lrbarms.com/m14rifles.html

For sure the US Rifle is hard to beat for pure shooting pleasure.  This is my US Rifle.  There are many like it, but this one is mine:

My daughter calls it my "fifth child", so she made it a toboggan and scarf for Christmas 2010:

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

wcmartin1

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on January 02, 2012, 01:19:35 AM
WCMartin- how do the FA rifles compare to the LRB's? http://www.lrbarms.com/m14rifles.html

UL,

I think they're going to be pretty comparable, but I have never dealt with LRB.

Both of my M1A's are Springfield - I don't own a Fulton M14 or M1 (yet), but I do have one of their excellent AR15's (match conditioned A2) and it is a masterpiece - truly a 1/2 MOA rifle (better than I can hold  :wb:).  I have also ordered several parts for both my M1 and my M1A's from Fulton and they are absolutely first class.  I think Rifle Woman has owned a couple of Fulton M14's over the years so she could answer this better than I from first-hand experience.

I'm also considering their peerless M1 in 7.62 with the birch laminated stock as my next purchase as I've got an M1A Super Match, but would also be interested in a highly accurate M1 in 7.62 - http://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-4.aspx

Now... back to Appleseedin'!  ~~:)
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

slim

Ma Deuce. I'd mount 'er up on my Jeep and next time we're at Knob Creek we'd have all kinds of fun!

But, alas, that'd be sitting in my garage 99% of the time. And as you said, that's just a dream. In reality, my Marlin 60 shoots like a dream and I can shoot it all day long for pennies. That's a dream gun!

George Hacker

Just FYI - It's John C. Garand's birthday today.  Happy birthday to the creator of the M1 rifle.

wcmartin1

Quote from: ShadowMan on January 02, 2012, 02:22:54 AM
Just FYI - It's John C. Garand's birthday today.  Happy birthday to the creator of the M1 rifle.

Quote from: wcmartin1 on January 01, 2012, 10:55:21 PM
I've got an M1 and started the year right shooting her today on John Cantius Garand (New Year's) day and she's sweet...

Yep - born January 1, 1888

I usually try to start the year right by shooting my M1 on the 1st.  :---

Old Dog

For almost 30 years my M1A went everywhere with me.  I killed all my deer with it in the mountains before I moved down here (I carried other rifles sometimes for the memories of who had hunted with them before me but the M1A always seemed to be the one in my hands when the deer walked out of the brush on me).  I took it to my first Appleseed.  I took it to the RBC with me.  When I say I took it everywhere it went with us (me and the family) every time we went on vacation or for weekend trips back home to visit the folks.

5 years ago I got my first M1 Garand.  A few months later I got two more.  I let my youngest son choose from those two, he took the one made in May of 1943, and when my oldest son said he had no interest in the other one I took it.  It replaced my M1A.  I had carried/shot that M1A since 1978 but in the summer of 2007 that M1 Garand, made in Dec. 1944, replaced my M1A as my favorite rifle to carry/shoot.  Now it travels with me.

I do shoot the ARs more because I can put a .22 conversion kit in them and shoot them really cheap.  But the M1 is my serious rifle.  I reload so I have ammo for it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Treehawk

whats a basic ar cost? I liked your ar slim. whats one like that cost? and with the 22 conversion kit is is just replacing the bolt?

Roland

I got to shoot a m-134 minigun on New Years. So yeah.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Johnnyappleseed

I would like a custom double rifle in maybe 458lott or similar.

A next choice is a 12-14 lb 50 bmg -- I think a Florida company makes a low cost model.
The rifle is a single shot with large muzzle break.

The above rifle is only a dream rifle because the state of california has declared guns chambered for the 50bmg to be illegal.

Ask a californian if elections have consequences :-[
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

dart67eb

Shop around.  I pieced together a 20" Doublestar flat top upper, removable handle, doublestar lower and A2 stock for $525.

Quote from: Treehawk on January 02, 2012, 04:33:08 PM
whats a basic ar cost? I liked your ar slim. whats one like that cost? and with the 22 conversion kit is is just replacing the bolt?
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

LawDog

An International Harvester M1 Garand.  Like the one I just bought an hour ago.  On JCG's birthday no less. 
My grandfather was an exec with IHC when it made Garands.  When I learned that, I just had to have one.  I can't wait to give her some exercise. 

Treehawk

so i could just piece tougher an ar-15?

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Treehawk on January 02, 2012, 10:27:11 PM
so i could just piece tougher an ar-15?

Yes, you can buy the components and build your own.  You should head over to the gun show this coming weekend in Lexington and just visit black gun vendors and ask questions.  You will learn all kinds of cool stuff.   O0

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Mark Davis

If I chose just one, the other safe/drama queens might get pouty.
Must be my 10-22, there are no others like it. 30mm scope parallax adjust down to 15 yards, 96 minutes of elevation in the scope and 25 yard zero about 6 minutes from the bottom (depends on ammo and temp) with the ability to adjust in excess of 400 yards.
The stock is walnut ordered inletted and rough cut, added 2 3/4" to the butt length, to fit me, then tortured with an angle ginder for a shaping tool untill  I could shoot either right or left handed, finished in tung oil.
The rest is Ruger, Kidd, and Green Mountian.
The 10-22 gets the most use.
(wispering) must be my favorite.

Treehawk

We are going to stop by. Is there an admission fee?

slim

Quote from: Treehawk on January 02, 2012, 04:33:08 PMwhats a basic ar cost? I liked your ar slim. whats one like that cost? and with the 22 conversion kit is is just replacing the bolt?
As others have pointed out, you can piece them together for fairly cheap. A $500 AR is going to be hard to get but $550 is possible. $600 more like it, especially once you figure in your time putting it together, shipping and handling, etc. You'll hear stories of  $500 ARs, but often those are "Well, that's without shipping." or "I drove two hours to Louisville to pick it up."

Smith & Wesson and DPMS are selling their brand new ARs for around $650. I've seen them at the gun show and each time they're cheaper and cheaper. Not a bad way to go for a first AR. If you're not familiar with all the "pieces" it's probably better to buy one that's already assembled and then once you figure it all out, piece your next one together. You need two, right? 

They're a lot cheaper than they used to be, but they're still a lot more than a nice SKS. When I was your age I saved up to buy a Mini-14. I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know if I find any deals on a good semiauto.

Treehawk

dart67eb

Treehawk, Read 'Boston's Gun Bible' by Boston T Party before you start buying guns.  It's worth it.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Xeyed

Quote from: dart67eb on January 03, 2012, 10:57:26 PM
Treehawk, Read 'Boston's Gun Bible' by Boston T Party before you start buying guns.  It's worth it.

+1

After Paul Reveres Ride, it was the second book I read after I joined Appleseed. It was recommended reading. Boston's Gun Bible even has a chapter about Appleseed. Met the author at a gun show while I was working an Appleseed booth. He stopped by to wish us well and to"keep up the good work"

Learned a lot from both books.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib