News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

If you think we are not saving a country, think again.

Started by yellowhousejake, December 21, 2011, 07:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

So as part of my job for the city I manage the council chamber recording system and rip and add the meeting videos to the city website.

This morning I am sitting at my desk running last night's Board of Zoning Appeals meeting through the software and guess what I see? The father of one of our junior instructors is speaking on a zoning variance, and he points out our very own Kate who is in attendance.

You think we are not making a difference? Check this response I got in a PM this evening.

Quote from: kate on December 21, 2011, 07:13:56 PM
I just watched the video again, and what's really cool is how the BZA works kinda like a jury but no one goes to jail.  ;D One of the reoccurring themes of Appleseed is getting involved at the local level, so I figured I would do just that. I went with supporting highsmith because 1. he's cool and 2. it was somewhat a safe topic as I had knowledge of the subject. Plus Nick was sitting next to me so I could ask him all my dumb questions  ??? like "do you have to sit on a certain side to support or oppose highsmith?" or the great "why do they have to get 'sworn in' to talk?" I honestly don't know how he put up with me. I was considering saying something but the In Charge Lady was getting grouchy and I didn't have the guts to talk in front of people. At the beginning of the meeting, I was getting kinda worried because I was thinking "If it takes this long to put in signs for a school, how in the world will we get a range put in?!" It turned out to be quite fun though. Another amazing thing was how we just walked in off the sidewalk and had a say in things. I know that's exactly how it's suppost to work, but it's a lot of fun to see it work. Before I was just another bleery-eyed shooter thinking 'yea-yea suuure' when you were talking about civic involvement but now that I had the opportunity to participate, I think that more people should be exercising that right as well. Just a bunch of fun to go to. Sorry bout flooding your in-box with my juvenile discovery, but it was cool;D

One down, three kazillion to go. Let's get busy.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

hawkhavn

The future belongs to those that show up.
Kate learned, and then taught, a valuable lesson right there.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

oladcock

Yep, good stuff, we've got a seeder on our city council, plus we have this one fellow that attends every meeting just so they know we're watching!  ;) ...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

The Log

"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Mudcat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

spitfire51

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

SPQR

I create monsters who squash the Tokyo of Ignorance, Laziness, and Apathy.  Then they send me Christmas Cards. 

Good job Kate, VALES IGITUR VALEO
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Kosciusko

It's the little things like this............. that really aren't so little.

At one AS, after we had finished up on Saturday, I was approached by one of our shooters, an Army vet with  2 tours of  Iraq .

he said:

"Thank you,  I really wish the US Army had taught me what I learned today __before__    they sent me to Iraq."

Any  remaining doubts as to  the value of Appleseed vanished at that point.  Minor irritants like the heat, the cold, the snow, insects,   etc.     Gone.     All washed away like a sand castle hit by the incoming tide. 

We are  reaching people, and we are making a difference, bet your last dollar on it.

slim

"...we just walked in off the sidewalk and had a say in things."

BOOM! Way to go, Kate. Keep up the good work!

Quote from: Kosciusko on December 22, 2011, 03:54:32 PMAt one AS, after we had finished up on Saturday, I was approached by one of our shooters, an Army vet with  2 tours of  Iraq .

he said:

"Thank you,  I really wish the US Army had taught me what I learned today __before__    they sent me to Iraq."

Any  remaining doubts as to  the value of Appleseed vanished at that point.  Minor irritants like the heat, the cold, the snow, insects,   etc.     Gone.     All washed away like a sand castle hit by the incoming tide. 
I looked into the misty eyes of a WWII veteran who firmly shook my hand and said, "Make them understand. Make them. They have to."

oladcock

You guys are killing me. We'll probably never be fully aware of the impact.

I had a pastor (also a city councilman) come up to me after a seed and shook my hand and said I had no clue what we'd just done for his youngest son's self esteem. "What do you mean?" I asked. "He is in the shadow of his older brother who is better in school, sports, music, etc...the younger has found something he's as good at as his brother." Then he asked, "Where do you guys get all those stories? I see a bunch of sermons in there!"....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

AuntieBellum

That is awesome - Appleseed doing exactly what it's supposed to do by getting Americans off the couch.  Keep the message flowing, and we'll save this country yet!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

grunt soldier

that is great stuff.  good to see people still getting involved.  congrat kate
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Cooper

Thank you all for this thread.  It's the best Christmas present I've ever received.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim