News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Discussion of Carlos Hathcocks method of sighting in a Rifle

Started by Bill 3, March 08, 2011, 10:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

A rifle is a tool.  Tools must be ready (and able) to get the job done when needed.  If you have to stop part of the way through the job to clean it/lube it so you can continue the job you might not complete the job.

When I finish mowing I top off the gas tank on the mower.

When I finish with the chainsaw I top off the tank and fill the oiler.

When I finish shooting a gun I clean it, lube it and load it.  If your rifle shoots to a different point of aim hot vs. cold, clean vs. dirty you really should look into getting another one.  I don't have a single gun, rifle or handgun that shoots different on paper or in the field based on being clean/dirty.  Now the most I've fired through a centerfire rifle in a day  about 200 rounds, but the rifle was still working fine.

There's a reason the POI moves as a barrel heats up.  The barrel may be contacting the stock somewhere.  A piece that is attached to the barrel may be contacting the stock.  The barrel may have unrelieved stresses from the rifling process or barrel "straightening" after the rifling process, or the heat treating process, etc.

Maybe you can figure it out and fix it, maybe you just need to get another one.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

jmdavis

For good or ill, bringing back to the top.

There is good stuff in here and too many people have never been introduced to it.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

sluggo

The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

jmdavis

Quote from: sluggo on March 17, 2016, 07:07:37 PM
Old saying- "Light's up, sights up"

For some shooters it's just the opposite. The only way you know how YOU are influenced is to test it. For me it is lights up, sight up, with a flat tire hold. With a hard center hold it tends to be neutral unless there is shadow on the target.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

sluggo

Quote from: jmdavis on March 17, 2016, 07:50:59 PM
For some shooters it's just the opposite. The only way you know how YOU are influenced is to test it. For me it is lights up, sight up, with a flat tire hold. With a hard center hold it tends to be neutral unless there is shadow on the target.
Solid advice- I just remembered the old saying
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

jmdavis

Since it's been 5 years, here's a reminder of the questions that were meant to guide this discussion.

Questions for review:

1. Why did Gunny Hathcock insist on a clean, dry barrel for this work?

2. Why did Gus take just one shot at each session?

3. How well do you "know" your rifle?

4. What parts of this method might be changed for a Rifle used in Appleseed?

This is how one goes about learning his rifle, firing in all kinds of weather, from different positions so that you learn your rifle, ammunition and yourself. I would like to say that I have completed such an exercise, but the best that I can claim is to have made a start on it.

airplanejoe

JMDavis posted in earlier in this thread that there is no right answer. I tend to agree. Nobody is a clone of anybody. There is no absolute truth; only your truth. The search for your truth is what makes this sport fun (although sometimes frustrating).
aj

petertschantz

newb here (really new to AS that is). Just thought I'd bring this back up to the top, as it made me think really hard about what I've been doing with my shooting for a long time. Great info here!
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands."" - Col. Jeff Cooper

"Nothing is more precious than freedom and independence." - Harold G. Moore

jmdavis

I'm glad it could help. I was lucky to be acquainted with Gunny Hathcock and to have the opportunity to talk with him about.competitive and field shooting on a number if occasions. His methods aren't the only ones out there but they do work.