News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Land, Air, and Sea.

Started by Treehawk, December 19, 2011, 08:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehawk

has anyone been to the army surplus store in newport called land, air, and sea? if so was it a good store and is there any other good army surplus stores in the newport, Cincinnati area.
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International
When the rich rage war it's the poor who die- Linkin Park

slim

I haven't been to Land, Air, and Sea but there's one not too far past Newport in Cincinnati (Hopple St. exit off I-75) called Northside Surplus.

They don't have a bunch of stuff but they have a little bit of everything. There are also a few surplus stores at the flea markets a little farther north.

What are you looking for? I can help you keep an eye out. I typically find good deals on Craigslist and Swapgiant too.

Treehawk

Something like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2515186747/spec-ops-the-pack-molle-backpack-nylon
just not that much. i think 511 has a couple of different models that would work and that are probably cheaper than that. about the same price, maybe 30 or 40 dollars cheaper
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International

Unbridled Liberty

Treehawk,

Have you tried the Army surplus store in Lexington?  How about LA Police Gear: http://www.lapolicegear.com/backpacks.html

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

do u mean the one on East Loudon?

Treehawk

Unbridled Liberty

As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

yea. me and my dad wernt to impressed. it just didnt have a lot of stuff. it was a little expensive too.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Treehawk on December 20, 2011, 05:07:50 PM
Do u know if this is a good choice: http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical-medium-assault-pack.html
or this one: http://www.lapolicegear.com/blackhawk-ultralight-3day-pack.html

I have not gotten my hands on either, but if it were me, and I was choosing between the two, I'd go with the Blackhawk.  I think they are a little better quality. 

I have one of these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-style-modular-field-pack.aspx?a=792483  but I have not put any mileage on it yet, so i don't know how it will be long-term.

If you get a chance, the US Cavalry store in Radcliff is great.  I went a few days before the machine gun shoot at Knob creek and they had tons of great deals on all kinds of stuff.

And like Slim said, watch Craigslist for some genuine USGI stuff.  There is also Armslist and KY Classifieds.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

they closed the big army surplus store in Winchester right?

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Treehawk on December 20, 2011, 06:56:50 PM
they closed the big army surplus store in Winchester right?

Yes, I believe that has been closed for several years.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

i heard they got bought out by the store here in lexington.

Treehawk

and UL thanks for telling me about LA police gear, i plan to order my bag from there soon,

slim

Hey, before you order, check you inbox. We have a guy in Appleseed, Hooters Billy, who is kind of a gear guru. I bet he has a decent pack similar to the ones you've posted here just laying around the house and I bet he'd ship it to you for a pretty good deal.

Stand by for PMs.

Treehawk

ok. im probably going to wait tell after christmas so i will have some extra money,

Hooters Billy

Hey guys,

Sorry, but I don't have any spare combat grade packs laying around at the moment. Only a few spare day/technical packs for backpacking/hiking/rockclimbing for now.

I will add my 2c in and  HIGHLY recomend the the "Blackhawk 3 day assult pack", however, don't go and press the add to cart button yet! The one you link to is the "ultralight" model off it. The difference is the thickness of the material used. The standard model uses a 1000 denier nylon throughout, the "ultralight" model uses  a 210/310 denier nylon, thinner stuff on low stress parts and thicker on high stress spots ad contact points. The reason for this is just why they call it the nme they do, its lighter, less bulky, and takes up less room when stuffed and compressed into something. Kinda like a high speed low drag model. Downside is that it will not be nearly as indestructable as the original. With extended use it will get blow outs and holes burned into it. Especially if loaded with things besides clothing and hydration bladder, overweghted, or overstuffed.

I would do whatever, or wait the extra time to get the few extra $'s it will be to get an original. It will last you forever without fail and you will never have to buy another one. Saves you money in the long run and you will never have to think or worry about it again. Peace of mind for sure. I "know a guy" who has used his bh3dap over in the sadbox and the  mountains for about 4 years with no issues other then getting dirty and stained.

Hope I was able to help some. Shop wisely the first timeand save yourself a lot of frustration, headache, time, and money. Trust me.

HB
"There is no greater evil then willful ignorance," ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Advice on life from Fred himself to me on 6-21-09:
"If you hope to be a good looking corps, you better hurry up and die soon!"

CQ CQ CQ de KC9MTP

GEmanuel

Try http://www.lapolicegear.com/closeouts.html they have a three day MOLLE pack for $30.00 which I bought, works great. Slightly larger pack (same page, scroll down for less than $50.00
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

Treehawk

i think im going to get a 511 rush 24. i was at a sporting goods store and they happened to have some 511 gear. i started looking at the backs and i really like the rush 24. so i think im getting one of those then, Do you know anything about that model?

Unbridled Liberty

Treehawk,

511 makes great stuff, I don't think you could go wrong with that one. 

I just remembered two more stores, one in Lexington and one in Shepherdsville:

http://www.galls.com/home

Galls Showroom & Corporate Center
2680 Palumbo Dr.
Lexington, KY 40509
Store Hours: M-F: 9:00am-6:00pm, Sat: 9:00am-5:00pm ET, closed Sunday
Phone: 859-266-7227 ext: 2301
          859-266-7227 ext: 2302
          859-266-7227 ext: 2303
Directions: From I-75, take Man O' War exit 108. Go West about 1-3/4 miles to Palumbo Dr. and turn right. Turn left in the first driveway after the stop light at Todds Rd. and Palumbo Dr.

Real Army Surplus & Pawn Shop
160 Frank E Simon Avenue
Shepherdsville, KY 40165-7505
(502) 543-2350
Better call first before you go, as this guy does not have regular hours.  If you just show up, he may be there, and he may not.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

i started looking at 511's site and now i think im going to get the RUSH MOAB 6. i could use that as my day pack. it looks like all of their gear is well made.

Treehawk

im looking for a place that makes name tags. not metal but a cloth material. anyone know a place?

George Hacker

Quote from: Treehawk on December 21, 2011, 08:24:58 PM
im looking for a place that makes name tags. not metal but a cloth material. anyone know a place?
http://www.militarynames.com/ is one place.  Search google for "military name tape".

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Treehawk

this is a little off topic but this fits with ky. so anyone know what they call Kentuckians?

Treehawk

i ended up getting the 5.11 rush 24 backpack today. It seems great. just have to find some stuff to put in it  :) :)

Mudcat

I have had this one for a few years and like it but it is not to be confused with a pack that you would want to hike all day. Works good as a GHB and to use for Appleseed camps and such.
If I am going to hike I will take my LG ruck with frame but those days are few and far between these days.
The 511 works good for my intended purpose.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-rush-24-bag.html
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Treehawk

i dont do much hikeing. going to use if for work and when we go out of town. as a overnight bag