News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Re: Lima, Ohio - Dec. 10/11, 2011 - CANCELLED!

Started by Gordon, December 14, 2011, 09:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

From Re: Lima, Ohio - Dec. 10/11, 2011 - CANCELLED!
Quote from: slim on December 12, 2011, 12:47:42 PM

Good:
Lima SABRES is very enthusiastic and helpful. They want us there. We will have a few dates next year as well.

Even though we didn't have shooters, there was a CCW course going on and we made a few good contacts. One works at the local sporting goods store and agreed to post trifolds.

"Very enthusiastic and helpful. They want us there."

We ought to be able to capitalize on that. Do we have a plan?

At the risk of stepping on Leadership's toes, I'll suggest this: maybe a productive strategy would be to make a very focused outreach effort with a very small group of people. Get them on board with what we're about, get them out to a couple of shoots, "gratis", and appeal to them to help generate attendence from the Lima Sabres membership.

This strategy could work based on the contacts that Slim has already made there.

I can't take any leadership or initiative (beyond this post), but I'm willing to perhaps assist some broader effort. I live a bit over an hour's drive from Lima Sabres, and I'd be willling to make a few trips down there between now and Spring. I've got some share of public speaking experience and of "7th stepping" experience.

What's our plan for this range?

At the very least, can we somehow follow up with these "few good contacts" Slim has made?

George Hacker

Quote from: Gordon on December 14, 2011, 09:49:18 PM
From Re: Lima, Ohio - Dec. 10/11, 2011 - CANCELLED!
Quote from: slim on December 12, 2011, 12:47:42 PM

Good:
Lima SABRES is very enthusiastic and helpful. They want us there. We will have a few dates next year as well.

Even though we didn't have shooters, there was a CCW course going on and we made a few good contacts. One works at the local sporting goods store and agreed to post trifolds.

"Very enthusiastic and helpful. They want us there."

We ought to be able to capitalize on that. Do we have a plan?

At the risk of stepping on Leadership's toes, I'll suggest this: maybe a productive strategy would be to make a very focused outreach effort with a very small group of people. Get them on board with what we're about, get them out to a couple of shoots, "gratis", and appeal to them to help generate attendence from the Lima Sabres membership.

This strategy could work based on the contacts that Slim has already made there.

I can't take any leadership or initiative (beyond this post), but I'm willing to perhaps assist some broader effort. I live a bit over an hour's drive from Lima Sabres, and I'd be willling to make a few trips down there between now and Spring. I've got some share of public speaking experience and of "7th stepping" experience.

What's our plan for this range?

At the very least, can we somehow follow up with these "few good contacts" Slim has made?
Gordon,

I'm the promotional guy for the Pacific Northwest region.  I have had instructors and IITs start to go to gun clubs and range meetings and give brief 20-30 minute Project Appleseed presentations.  We tell them who we are, go over our course of fire, emphasize safety! safety! safety!, and we usually finish up with a little history.  I told the story of Capt. Isaac and Hannah Davis and there wasn't a dry eye in the room.  I finished the presentation with, "This is why I volunteer with Project Appleseed."

Some ranges may get gung ho and invite us to use their facility.  Hopefully they would be nice and waive range fees.  Perhaps some of their members will come to a shoot and step up to be instructors.  Some may bring their families to a shoot.  I don't know what the results will be, but I can guarantee there will be a buzz and folks will understand a little about who we are and why we are different than 4-H and BSA.  (We keep our presentations positive and don't get into a pissing match with other programs.  They figure out the differences for themselves.)

Hang in there and volunteer to help your SC move forward on this.  Give them a call and share your vision.  They are probably desperate to get some help.

I never give presentations alone, I always enlist the help of another instructor (in fact I have a Red Hat and an IIT4 giving a presentation to a gun collector's club that runs a gun show - no range prospect there).  With the winter season upon us, now is a perfect time to plant the seeds for next spring.

Keep on 7th stepping, Gordon! O0

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."