News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wishes, Resolutions and goals

Started by jmdavis, December 06, 2011, 09:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

Lanny Bassham says it better than I ever could. If you really want achieve your goals, start by reading the article below.

http://mentalmanagement.blogspot.com/2011/12/updating-your-goals-by-lanny-bassham.html
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Spartan

"With your shield or on it"

George Hacker

Great article.  Thanks, jmdavis.

Two important requirements for setting good goals are:

• Make sure each goal has a measurable outcome, and
  • Project a date for accomplishing the goal.

Measurable goals allow you to evaluate whether or not you have met them.  For example, "I want to become a better shot" is too vague.  If a person shoots better than 210 on an AQT 50% of the time, a goal might be to shoot better than 210 on an AQT 90% of the time.  Or perhaps a goal could be set to shoot better than 220 50% of the time.  Each of those goals are measurable, but they measure "becoming a better shot" a little differently.

Setting a due date to complete a goal helps avoid procrastination.  By setting a deadline you will budget the time needed for personal development to take steps to accomplish your goal.  For example I would like to pass my PC4 on my path to a red hat.  If I tell myself that I want to pass that PC "someday", that day will never come.  If I set a deadline of January or February of 2012, then I will make a plan for learning the key events for the 15 or 16 discreet items outlined on the PC.  If I need to develop my storytelling abilities, I will devise a plan to improve my skills before my PC (which may require me to tell strikes and DOM at Appleseed shoots before my deadline or before a practice audience).

One last thing, if you miss a deadline don't be discouraged.  Persist and learn from your experience.  You will get better at setting achievable goals with reasonable deadlines with more practice.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

VaWolf

Hope to come back next year. Can I get a preliminary schedule?  wolfman
NPOA isn't everything, it's the only thing.

jmdavis

Quote from: VaWolf on December 22, 2011, 02:57:33 AM
Hope to come back next year. Can I get a preliminary schedule?  wolfman

It's good to hear from you Tommy. Schedule will firm up in Jan, which is when the various clubs hold their meetings.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner