News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A nation of riflemen

Started by Treehawk, November 30, 2011, 12:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehawk

I have a question for everyone. Why cant we be a nation of riflemen? Why cant we have more programs like appleseed? And what could we do to become a nation of riflemen once more?
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International
When the rich rage war it's the poor who die- Linkin Park

slim

I wish I knew all the answers to those questions.

One thing I do know is we're doing it. We're out there trying our best to reunite people with their heritage and passing on the tradtion of marksmanship.

I don't know how it'll all work out or how we get to the end result... but I do know this - as long as we're doing all we can, we're doing our part. And doing our part is what makes us a Rifleman.

Fred

Quote from: Treehawk on November 30, 2011, 12:58:44 AM
I have a question for everyone. Why cant we be a nation of riflemen? Why cant we have more programs like appleseed? And what could we do to become a nation of riflemen once more?

Three words. Ignorance. Apathy. Laziness.

Also, in synonym form: "21st-century American"

People don't know. People don't care. People don't want to be bothered to get off the couch.

In the land of"whatever", you find these things to be prevalent.

We have this consolation, that the harder the task, the more glorious the triumph. (Paine)

You can measure how hard the task is, how difficult it is to persist in the face of all the adversity which daily afflicts us, by the number of people in this program who fall by the wayside. By that measure, it's a pretty hard task, indeed.

Heck, if is was easy, anyone could do it. :(
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Roland

Who says we can't? Don't count us out yet. It might just take a few years.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Garand

Focus and dedication are needed to be a rifleman. It is easier to watch a movie or play video games. The desire to have things without effort and to have them now is one barrier to having a nation of riflemen.

Treehawk

Quote from: Fred on November 30, 2011, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: Treehawk on November 30, 2011, 12:58:44 AM

Three words. Ignorance. Apathy. Laziness.

Also, in synonym form: "21st-century American"

People don't know. People don't care. People don't want to be bothered to get off the couch.

In the land of"whatever", you find these things to be prevalent.

We have this consolation, that the harder the task, the more glorious the triumph. (Paine)

You can measure how hard the task is, how difficult it is to persist in the face of all the adversity which daily afflicts us, by the number of people in this program who fall by the wayside. By that measure, it's a pretty hard task, indeed.

Heck, if is was easy, anyone could do it. :(
Love that answer. Its said but its true. My dad owns a tree business. I try to work everyday that i can with him.I get paid for doing something i love. My Brother is 19 and works full time and his friends always say they can out work him. But instead of proving it they stay at home and play video games..... I just thought this shows how lazy we are becoming.
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International

Treehawk

this is a little off topic but why are people so dumb. Me and my dad were driving away from a bank and someone shot at me with a bb gun. it didn't make it through the windshield but if it was a real bullet i wouldn't be here right now. It would have impacted in my heart or lung area. Showed me how short life could be. We called the cops but they didn't find any one. We isn't that a Friday night?

JustJeff

There is hope when there are states advertising positions like this one: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26508.0  (if I met the degree requirements I'd apply)

There are also a multitude of groups out there trying to make our citizenry more "aware," and groups teaching firearms....just none using the tack that Appleseed has taken, and I don't believe any are as affordable; an adult civilian  male will get more bang for their buck out of Appleseed than anywhere else at the moment.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

sgtmace

Americans are creatures of leizure- period. Let's not stir the pot, let's not go to war, let's just get along and be happy- RIGHT!? Review global history, take your time and get a good hard look. Never before, and most likely never till the end will there be peace and tranquility.
So we have a massive task to get people off the couch and their heads out the sand. Cinch up your pack straps, chin up and march on young man- proud to have you aboard.
sgtmace
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget you were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force: Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -- Patrick Henry

Treehawk

this is off topic again but is there a appleseed hoodie, maybe in black or navy blue. i wear the shirt almost ever day but i always have my hoodie on over it.

SPQR

There is a red Hoodie, ask Unbridled_Liberty how you can get it.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Treehawk

JustJeff

Quote from: SPQR on December 05, 2011, 10:08:37 PM
There is a red Hoodie, ask Unbridled_Liberty how you can get it.

O0 >:D O0
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Treehawk

This is my reflection on my first appleseed. Had to do this for school.
12/5/11
Global Econ.
CAS Hours reflection
By: Ethan Wilson

I did my creative hours this semester. What I did for the hours is a program called Appleseed.  They are a non-profit, all volunteer organization.  Appleseed teaches marksmanship and also the importance of April, 19, 1775.  They refer to this date as "When marksmanship met history, and the heritage began....".  I wanted to do something history oriented, but I also wanted it to be hands-on.  Appleseed met both requirements.

You arrive at a range that they rented out (I went to Crittenden, KY for my Appleseed). Arrival time is about 8:00 - 8:30 AM and the class goes to about 5:00 or 6:00 PM.  We first have a safety meeting and they teach us the range commands. Then we fire at our first target without any instructions.   After this takes place, then the teaching begins. The instructors teach us how to use a sling to steady the rifle and how to get into the proper positions.  The positions are prone (lying down), sitting or kneeling, and standing. The instructors broke the storytelling into four parts the first day and three during the second day.  All the targets were set out at 25 meters.  The first day I think my skills improved as the day wore on.  Practice helped tremendously in my improvement.   The second day it was just me and my dad alone with the instructors. We learned some more marksmanship skills and practiced more.  It was rainy on the second day, but we were under a covered range. At the beginning of the first day I was shooting wide groups with a .22 and at the end of the second day, I was shooting a .223 at 350 yards and shooting at a 27 inch diameter steel plate and a 12 inch steel plate with almost 100% accuracy. I also learned the importance of our heritage and how it is slowly slipping away from us.  I now know that a riflemen isn't just someone who carries a gun; he is a reliable person that you can count on, someone that would mow your grass or rake up your leaves.  In colonial times, it would have been someone who would help you split wood or hunt with you.  I learned my weakness with shooting and my weakness in the community . I acquired some new skills and I plan to undertake new challenges.  For example, I am going to try to start a rifle team at our school. During the battles of Lexington and Concord there were 14,000 people that came to help. It may not have been their town, but they came to help.  Do you know just 14 people that you could call in the middle of the night to come and help you?  Just 14.  The men who came to help Lexington and Concord didn't have to come and help.  They could have just stayed home with their families and let the Red Coats destroy the towns, but they didn't.  They knew that they might not come back home that day but they still went. They were a nation of riflemen. That is what we should become again, a nation of riflemen.
I will leave you with this quote from Bill Mattocks,

"The United States of America is a special place. We know that others have fought and died for liberty, but we are Americans. The bended knee has never been one of our traditions. We bow to no man, we genuflect to no Prince or Potentate, we have no nobles among us. We have risen up against tyranny and oppression since before our nation began. We were born in a bloody revolution and we have never hesitated to step into the breech when called upon to do so. We have willingly laid down our lives, the lives of our sons and daughters, for an idea, a concept, a theory; that all men should be free, that no man is better than another. "
-Bill Mattocks
Former Sgt, USMC (1979-1985)

TomM1Thumb

It started with 2 Men, Dr. Warren and Paul Revere. Joined by Billy Dawes and the two gents with lamps in the Old North Church.

From this hand full of People. To over 14,000 in less than twenty four hours.

Does any one here think that They and four of their friends could do as well?
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Treehawk on December 06, 2011, 01:18:03 AM
This is my reflection on my first appleseed. Had to do this for school.
12/5/11
Global Econ.
CAS Hours reflection
By: Ethan Wilson

I did my creative hours this semester. What I did for the hours is a program called Appleseed.  They are a non-profit, all volunteer organization.  Appleseed teaches marksmanship and also the importance of April, 19, 1775.  They refer to this date as "When marksmanship met history, and the heritage began....".  I wanted to do something history oriented, but I also wanted it to be hands-on.  Appleseed met both requirements.

You arrive at a range that they rented out (I went to Crittenden, KY for my Appleseed). Arrival time is about 8:00 - 8:30 AM and the class goes to about 5:00 or 6:00 PM.  We first have a safety meeting and they teach us the range commands. Then we fire at our first target without any instructions.   After this takes place, then the teaching begins. The instructors teach us how to use a sling to steady the rifle and how to get into the proper positions.  The positions are prone (lying down), sitting or kneeling, and standing. The instructors broke the storytelling into four parts the first day and three during the second day.  All the targets were set out at 25 meters.  The first day I think my skills improved as the day wore on.  Practice helped tremendously in my improvement.   The second day it was just me and my dad alone with the instructors. We learned some more marksmanship skills and practiced more.  It was rainy on the second day, but we were under a covered range. At the beginning of the first day I was shooting wide groups with a .22 and at the end of the second day, I was shooting a .223 at 350 yards and shooting at a 27 inch diameter steel plate and a 12 inch steel plate with almost 100% accuracy. I also learned the importance of our heritage and how it is slowly slipping away from us.  I now know that a riflemen isn't just someone who carries a gun; he is a reliable person that you can count on, someone that would mow your grass or rake up your leaves.  In colonial times, it would have been someone who would help you split wood or hunt with you.  I learned my weakness with shooting and my weakness in the community . I acquired some new skills and I plan to undertake new challenges.  For example, I am going to try to start a rifle team at our school. During the battles of Lexington and Concord there were 14,000 people that came to help. It may not have been their town, but they came to help.  Do you know just 14 people that you could call in the middle of the night to come and help you?  Just 14.  The men who came to help Lexington and Concord didn't have to come and help.  They could have just stayed home with their families and let the Red Coats destroy the towns, but they didn't.  They knew that they might not come back home that day but they still went. They were a nation of riflemen. That is what we should become again, a nation of riflemen.
I will leave you with this quote from Bill Mattocks,

"The United States of America is a special place. We know that others have fought and died for liberty, but we are Americans. The bended knee has never been one of our traditions. We bow to no man, we genuflect to no Prince or Potentate, we have no nobles among us. We have risen up against tyranny and oppression since before our nation began. We were born in a bloody revolution and we have never hesitated to step into the breech when called upon to do so. We have willingly laid down our lives, the lives of our sons and daughters, for an idea, a concept, a theory; that all men should be free, that no man is better than another. "
-Bill Mattocks
Former Sgt, USMC (1979-1985)

Nicely done Ethan!  I see a Rifleman patch and an orange hat in your near future, followed by a red hat (and red hoodie  ;)).
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

im going to practice a lot before my next appleseend, and get that rifleman's patch

Treehawk

a little off topic again but why dont police and firefighters get discounts at places like our vets do. they risk there life just as much as any one in service. they are also volunteers. just seems like they dont get a lot of respect for there job.

George Hacker

Law enforcement officers are free.  @&)

Firefighters aren't.  I don't think they are sworn to uphold the Constitution the same way police and military are.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Treehawk

another a random thing, if ant of you like to read books there is a good series called out of the ashes(well thats the first book). im sure u all would like it. Has a lot of gun and appleseed kind of stuff. the author is William W. Johnstone

JustJeff

Quote from: ShadowMan on December 07, 2011, 06:14:49 PM

Firefighters aren't.  I don't think they are sworn to uphold the Constitution the same way police and military are.

- ShadowMan

I think he's referring to places other than Appleseed..... like restaurants.  Good question.  I know a few places who give discounts to anyone in 'public service.'  I give 10% off of my labor to cops, military, firefighters, nurses, EMTs, and teachers.   I charge full rate+ to lawyers and politicians.

Treehawk

Quote from: JustJeff on December 07, 2011, 10:07:40 PM
Quote from: ShadowMan on December 07, 2011, 06:14:49 PM

- ShadowMan

I think he's referring to places other than Appleseed..... like restaurants.  Good question.  I know a few places who give discounts to anyone in 'public service.'  I give 10% off of my labor to cops, military, firefighters, nurses, EMTs, and teachers.   I charge full rate+ to lawyers and politicians.

" I charge full rate+ to lawyers and politicians." maybe not lawyers but politicians yes i change that, i say yes to both.

funfaler

What is a Rifleman?   How would you recognize one if you come across one?  What would they be doing?

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

TheEditor

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com