News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifle Team

Started by Treehawk, November 28, 2011, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehawk

I went to my first Appleseed this weekend. Was the best money me and my dad spent on shooting. We both learned a lot and i cant wait tell our next one. Im looking to join a rifle team near Lexington, Ky but im not sure where to join or find one. Any help would be great.
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International
When the rich rage war it's the poor who die- Linkin Park

hawkhavn

Treehawk,

Welcome to Appleseed!  Glad you enjoyed the weekend.

If you want to try your hand at High Power shooting, look here: http://www.odcmp.com/Clubs/searchclubs.htm

If you are looking for other rifle events, try here for NRA clubs with events: http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

Of course, you and your father are certainly welcome to come back to some more Appleseed weeeknds!

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Treehawk

thanks i will have to look into that. i know 4-H has a shooting team. but that dosent start tell the summer.
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International

Unbridled Liberty

Treehawk,

UK has the best rifle team in the country at the moment, only hitch is you have to go to school there! 
http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/c-rifle/kty-c-rifle-body.html

The Hillside Plinkers in Williamsburg (less than 2 hours south of Lex) is holding their "Winter Games" the second Sundays of December, January and February.  This is a CMP sanctioned Garand match at 100 yards.  If you want to compete with a legendary M1 Garand (U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30, M1) I'm sure someone would loan you a rifle.  You would just have to pay for the ammo and the entry fee.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hillsideplinkers/  I would give you a ride but I will be heading down a couple days early to do some bear hunting.

How about starting a rifle team at your school?  A Rifleman is someone who sees a need and gets it done.   O0

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

I will have to look at that. I think my dad could drive me down but thanks for the offer. I plan to ask my principle about starting a team tomorrow. if i start one i plan to try to get all member to a Appleseed so they can learn proper marksmanship. Would you do some kind of discount for us if i get one started?

Mudcat

All shooters  under the age of 21, females, law enforcement, military are all free now. I think your high school could fit into a couple of these categories. By the way  O0 for taking the first steps.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

CaptMac

Treehawk, you would not be the only student trying to start a shooting team or club at his school. 

I am working with one to try and put on a Appleseed solely for a group of students at his school. 

If you have any questions or need any info, please do not hesitate to ask.  I can try to answer, or I can put you in contact with a fellow student trying to start a club. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

Treehawk

Apparently the county wont let us shoot rifles any bb or air rifles.... So look like i may not be able to start a school rifle team.

Unbridled Liberty

Are you saying even air rifles would not be acceptable?  Exceptions can be made.  Look at the UK rifle team.  Do they shoot inside Fayette County?  Where does 4H shoot?  I'm guessing somewhere inside Fayette County. 

If you would like me to meet with your principal I would be happy to do so.  Having said that, I know how government entities work, and unless we encounter sympathetic individuals, it may literally take years to get anything done, and while you may not benefit from your efforts, future students may.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

George Hacker

Somewhere I heard that a rifleman persists.  Hang in there, Treehawk.  We're pullin' for ya.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Treehawk

this is a little short notice but is there any info about rifle teams. im meeting with my principal tomorrow and i want to have some info to give him

Unbridled Liberty

Looks like Rifle Marksmanship was dropped by KENTUCKY HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION in 1985  :(  That certainly does not help.

Just a few quick ideas:
Stress that rifle shooting is a respected collegiate and a traditional Olympic sport.  I believe the best collegiate rifle team in the country right now is our own University of Kentucky team.  http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/c-rifle/kty-c-rifle-body.html

Shooting is also a sport in the Bluegrass State Games held every summer. http://www.bgsg.org/shooting/

I would approach Bud's Gun Warehouse and Range to see if they would like to host practices and events at their open indoor range.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

thanks. that got a thought going, if you are in a high school rifle team could you get scholarships to go to uk?

Treehawk

talked to him today. he had to make some calles to see if i can even make one. hopefully i will be able to.   ;D

Unbridled Liberty

WTG Ethan!  Let us know how it turns out.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

Treehawk

Has anyone heard of the 4-h shooting teams?

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Treehawk on December 23, 2011, 09:08:01 PM
Has anyone heard of the 4-h shooting teams?

I've heard of the 4H shooting program.  Here is the contact:

Donna M. Fox
University of Kentucky
212 Scovell Hall
Lexington, KY.  40546-0064
dfox@uky.edu
859-257-5961
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

i dont think im going to join. they are really restricted. You can only use a bolt action with open sights. no peep. and i emailed them a question about 2 or 3 months back and still havent heard back from them.

Treehawk

got a quick question. What the minimum age you have to be to get a consoled to carry permit? 

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Treehawk on December 24, 2011, 07:49:34 PM
got a quick question. What the minimum age you have to be to get a consoled to carry permit?

As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Treehawk

thank you. i plan to get one when im at that age  ;D ;D

Treehawk

So did everyone get visited by the good old gun Santa?  :P

RangeRat

That was last year... The kids even wrapped it and marked it the Red Ryder M1A - "don't shoot yer eye out!".

How'd you do?

RR

Treehawk

got me some  Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs, a midway usa shooting mat. and a gun case for my 10/22.

Treehawk

Oh almost forgot I got the book "Paul revere's ride"

Treehawk

i really need to get some tech sights for my 10/22. i was dry firing today and i really dont like the standard ones. i cant turkey neck. i have to do the opposite.

Treehawk

i have another quick question. i say that there were 2 models of tech sights for the 10/22. The tsr100 and the tsr200, im just wondering if i should spend the extra $10 and get the tsr200? Any suggestions?

slim

If you're going to use it for personal use, get the cheaper version. If you're going to loan it out often, get the more expensive sights.

Basically, the only real advantage of the more expensive model is you have the option to make elevation changes on the rear sight as well as the front.

Either way, they're both good sights!

Treehawk

cant do the school rifle team.