News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Who wants to shoot?

Started by Mark Davis, November 27, 2011, 02:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

Hunting season is over, who is tired of walking their rifle and ready to get some shooting done?
I promise you when you come to an appleseed.
You don't have to drag it.
You don't have gut it.
You don't have to cut and wrap it.
You don't have to eat some stinkey ole mule deer buck.
Just throw your stuff in the car, don't forget lots of ammo, because you just know you will get a few hundred rounds off shooting with me!

Necee

I would LOVE to come out and shoot Mark.....too bad we moved away :( 

Mark Davis

I have been know to drive many miles to get a whiff of burned powder.

AFTERMATH

Mark posts:  "Who wants to shoot?"
And only gets one reply?
What the....?
Doesn't everyone want to shoot?
I know I wanna shoot!
Can't make it to Montana any time soon, darn-it!
Hmmm....  So, we might have to work around it.
Let's coordinate a simultanious assault against the Redcoats this weekend?
What time(s) work for you?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Mark Davis

Sunday, AM, mountian standard time.
Might be cold enough for an icicle!

AFTERMATH

It'll be cold enough for an icicle here!
09:00?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

George Hacker

Mark and Aftermath, I'd love to go shooting with you two, but I'm in western Washington.  I'll be getting ready for church when you are on the range, but I hope to get a little trigger time Sunday afternoon.  I'll be thinking of you when I deal with 4 red coats and a shingle.

Mark, I hope to come out your way sometime in the future and either shoot with you or work an Appleseed.  I have some relatives who live in Great Falls.

Thanks for the invitation!

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Necee

hmm... see what we can do :)  Tyson is going duck hunting tomorrow morning I'm told....  I haven't had a chance to shoot in a while :(

ShadowMan.. we have GF in April and July- Hope you can make one!!

2 clicks low

Ok, lets see (cipher, cipher carry the zero.......)
Thats 8:00 am at Waterman. I'll join you by shooting a Red Coat here before the shoot starts.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

boscohurn

I will go with AFTERMATH's 9:00.  My rifle is in pieces in the garage, so the extra hour won't hurt.  I was gonna go anyway, wait 'til the sun got warm,  but now it will just be a bit earlier.

boscohurn

Well, the sun aint gonna get warm.  It's not even there....well, it's there but you can't see it.  Did not have a Red Coat so shot a Greenie.  Loaded weird for it.  5 in the top one, 3 in second, put two out of 3 in the green on the third.  Shot 4 for 400 yd cause I didn't have a bucket shot, 3 in, one high, so bucket shot and 300 blown.

Did a 218 on a rapid fire QDAQT .  One round short as I'm still breakin in one mag, it will only take nine.  Tortured some other paper too.

Not great, not bad   ::)

Mark Davis

I had to shoot on Saturday. Sunday is the wife's birthday, for some reason I thought it was Sat.
The thermometer said +25 but the nice little breeze was numbing bare flesh.
Any way, I fired a match from another forum.
It's a five bull target with a 10 ring 3/4 inch diameter.
Each target is fired at 5 rounds in 60 seconds, or less with no transition, in these positions, Standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, and prone bipod allowed. I don't bother with the pod and just shoot with the sling all the way through.
Then, do over weak side.
Humbling but builds character.
When I got to the redcoat there was two ten round mags prepped.
Shot a clean target with;
100 yard 1 inch group
200 yard 3/4 inch group
300 yard 1/2 inch group
400 yard 1/2 inch group
For the shingle I just burned the rest of the mag, six rounds went into one hole 3/8 high and 1/2 wide all inside the red.
One dud brought the rounds fired count to 19.
Smaller groups are possible but perfection is the enemy of good enough.

boscohurn

Had a bit less than 30 on the thermometer, no sun and your annoying breeze.

Possible thread wandering here but.....
Tried something new (for me anyway) on the AQT.  I would take the last shot on one target, adjust to the right during the next breath and take the shot on the next target at the bottom of that same breath.  There were a couple that I knew would be "wrong" so I waited for the next breath.  I'm gonna have to play with that more.  On transition to next position (prone to sitting, shot bottom up) I did not try to force it.

Also was putting up some targets a few days earlier and one was blank.  I stapled it up anyway and when I got to it I put sights on paper, got NPOA and just fired at cadence.  I should have measured the group.  It was not great, inch and a half maybe, but tight enough to make me want to try it more and in the different positions.  Seems it would be good feedback on how close to NPOA you really are.

AFTERMATH

Why waist time on a second breath?  I generally do the same thing.  Sometimes you won't shift exactly on, and you've gotta take a breath between, but the more you do it the better you get.  Especially, on targets where it's the same exact shift - everytime.

Blank sheets can make a real nice diagnostic drill.  If you're group is more than one hole; either you didn't have your NPOA/failed to keep it(SHF's), or you're blowing one or more of steps 3-6. 
Essentially, it serves an almost identical function to the 'eyes closed' drills.  But it can help one learn to focus on the front sight - as you're not worried about seeing the target.   It's not the end all, be all, but can help you with some things - at the same time since you're not fully using all six steps, it can be detrimental.  So, don't do it too much.

As for my redcoat results.  Turns out my backstop(tree stump) was pretty much waisted and wouldn't do much to stop a bullet.  So, I chose to shoot the whole thing standing - It's safer that way...  Anyway.  I could use some more off-hand practice, I guess. 
100 yard - 3/3
200 yard - 2/3
300 yard - 1/3
400 yard - 1/3
Missed the darn head shot!!!!  <<The only one I really wanted to hit!
Temperature - I don't know maybe 20 deg F.
Rifle- Poly M14(s) - Iron sights
Had stuff to do, and people were sleeping, so I only shot the one redcoat.
Next time!

Cooper

Envious...
Working to end suffering and stamp out disease, with no allowance for turning money into noise and smoke.
But they couldn't stop me from picking up a nice night vision riflescope over the internet during my lunch hour.
Shoot another redcoat for me whenever you can!
Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

George Hacker

Cleared a redcoat, except for the shingle.  Did a rapid fire AQT for the first time and shot 209 (had a misfire on stage 2 and didn't get my last stage 4 round fired before the 4 minute mark).  Thought of you, Mark, and the other Appleseeders when I went to the range this afternoon.  Theophilus and I also did a lot of 7th stepping at the range - made some very good contacts.

- ShadowMan  :---
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Mark Davis

Nice shooting Aftermath and Shadow, and so, Cooper do you want me to stack two targets? Or would you be more fufilled if I drug out the .35 whelen and bolt gunned them?
The ole .35 is legal for appleseed if I just describe as an 8mm'06. All the brass is stamped .270 WIN.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Mark Davis on December 04, 2011, 10:49:21 PM
Nice shooting Aftermath and Shadow, and so, Cooper do you want me to stack two targets? Or would you be more fufilled if I drug out the .35 whelen and bolt gunned them?
The ole .35 is legal for appleseed if I just describe as an 8mm'06. All the brass is stamped .270 WIN.

Just make sure you use the .30 cal rule. @&)

Cooper

Just let me know that you punched paper, or any appropriate target for that matter, with me in (the back of your) mind.  Just knowing that others out there are maintaining or refining their rifleman skills while I am trapped in indentured servitude is all that I need.

Hooah!
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.

Mark Davis

Quote from: AFTERMATH on December 05, 2011, 09:14:27 PM

Does that mean I .004 inches of miss for the next higher score?

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Mark Davis on December 06, 2011, 12:25:50 AM
Quote from: AFTERMATH on December 05, 2011, 09:14:27 PM

Does that mean I .004 inches of miss for the next higher score?

Hey, that's like a whole MOA @ 1.5 ft! ::)

**)

We've certainly got to do this again!

boscohurn

Foot and a half?  I can hit at a foot and a half....count me in  :)

Garand is coming tomorrow, gots to get me some 100 yd targets.

Mark Davis

Bad proof reading on my part.

That was meant to be, does that mean I get .004 of miss for the next higher score?

Then the chain yanking emoticom would be proper but I don't use emoticoms.
Not sure I can make it to the range this weekend, honey doos and such.

Mark Davis

Hey guys, who wants to shoot this weekend? Right now "tuesday night" the wind is howling, big storm supposed to be hitting soon.
So you know It's gonna be gooood!
Cooper I went to the range three times since I promised to honor your absence, and did not remeber to think about you working. Good thing for me your clown bat won't reach all the way to Montana, But this weekend I will try to fit you in my bubble.
ShadowMan, Aftermath, and boscohurn, How about we all shoot a redcoat standing just for good practice?

JustJeff

Quote from: Mark Davis on January 18, 2012, 12:28:43 AM
Hey guys, who wants to shoot this weekend? Right now "tuesday night" the wind is howling, big storm supposed to be hitting soon.
Cooper I went to the range three times since I promised to honor your absence, and did not remeber to think about you working. Good thing for me your clown bat won't reach all the way to Montana, But this weekend I will try to fit you in my bubble.
ShadowMan, Aftermath, and boscohurn, How about we all shoot a redcoat standing just for good practice?

Mark, I could go to the range tomorrow...just not yours.  Earliest I can make it is noon mountain time.  You have my number if you want to call me in the am.  I'm up for a 'standing redcoat,' hell, I'm even up for a 'standing AQT.'
We can compare photos after the fact, kinda like a postal match.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

George Hacker

Mark,

I'll think of you this Saturday morning when I go to the range.  I'd take your standing red coat challenge, except the range I go to only allows targets to be posted at 50 yards (no 25 yard option), so I think I will shoot the red coat target at double distance in a more stable position.  :-)

- ShadowMan

PS: I'm taking a non-shooting friend with me to the range so I'll be doing a little 7th stepping.

Cooper

Thanks for being honest, and if you can fit me in your bubble this week I appreciate it.
Janelle

Mark Davis

ShadowMan, 50yard redcoat is a nice step up in difficulty, I'm in.
Note to self, think of Cooper working while I'm sniffing burned powder.
Wondering if you can learn to stretch your bubble to include more and more thoughts, and keep the marksmanship, are you apporaching the concept of Yoda?

boscohurn

I will get out there Sat . or Sunday.   Sunday might actually approach 30 deg.  My results will be hideous .....new basic carbine 10/22  (loaner and so's I can help shooters with theirs)   Those are some gawd-awful stock sights.  Adjustments are forthcoming.  To offset the sights, I have borrowed a 1907 sling.  If you can't do it well, at least look like you can.   ::)  I should be alone down there so at least I can fail in peace.

Cooper, I must confess....I too failed to think of you during all my trips the last few weeks.  I'm sorry.

George Hacker

Shot a couple red coats and a couple green coats.  Didn't clear any of them, but I came close.  (Not bad for shooting at the targets at 50 yards.)  Thought of you, Mark, and I hope you had a good day of shooting.

Cooper, I thought of you this morning.  Hope you get some trigger time soon.

Also brought an old friend with me to shoot.  He hasn't shot since 1985 and he had a blast!  He said he'd go out with me to the range again soon and he said his wife was interested as well.  I sent him home with his better targets and a tri-fold.  I hope to see him on an Appleseed line in the near future.  We will see.  Theophilus and Joni, it looks like we may have another shooting buddy and possible a shooting couple to go out with.

- George