News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Daughters and I had a great time

Started by thoricuncle, November 27, 2011, 12:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thoricuncle

Wanted to thank Unbridled Liberty, Slim, Barry, Dryfire, FMJ and anyone else who worked on the Crittenden Shoot today.

I took my two oldest daughters and they had a great time.   It was great spending time with them.  My oldest goes to college in Idaho in four weeks so days like these are rare and treasured. 

It was great seeing them shoot.  Although having my daughters decisively outshoot me may have damaged my male ego, I couldn't have been prouder.  They both came away with a stronger sense of their heritage and what it means. 

On the drive home, they were busy texting and facebooking their friends about the day.  It was hard for them to sum up the day in 140 characters so they just invited them to the next shoot. 

hawkhavn

thoriuncle,

Great!  Very glad they had a good time.  We have a specific thread for ladies who would like to post about their experiences here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4577.90

Also, not sure of your daughters ages but junior shooters have a thread here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11133.30

Finally, for the daughter going to Idaho, we have a great team of folks out there running Appleseeds, she may want to contact Western Rose.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Mudcat

Glad you all had a good time. Thank you for bringing them and spending time with them. Years from now you all will remember this weekend.
Congrats on getting out shot by them too,  O0 we raise our kids to be better than we are.  Hope I get to meet you sometime on the Appleseed trail.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Unbridled Liberty

Jeff, my deepest thanks for coming out with your girls.  We need more Americans like you.  I'm sure we will meet again at another Appleseed. 
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

thoricuncle

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on November 27, 2011, 07:21:28 PM
Jeff, my deepest thanks for coming out with your girls.  We need more Americans like you.  I'm sure we will meet again at another Appleseed.

Count on it, the one thing I pulled away from it was I need more practice!

One thing, I purchased an RWVA membership through eventbrite.  I only attended Saturday.  Will I have an opportunity for the ROC program if I pay for another Saturday shoot?  Due to my religious convictions, I will be unable to attend Sunday shoots.

Thanks again for a great Appleseed!

slim

Huzzah!

Glad to hear you folks enjoyed it. More glad to hear the young ladies got the message and took it to heart, spread it to their friends, and we'll see you all again some day. That's what it's all about. A nation of Riflemen!

Quote from: thoricuncle on November 27, 2011, 10:45:32 PMOne thing, I purchased an RWVA membership through eventbrite.  I only attended Saturday.  Will I have an opportunity for the ROC program if I pay for another Saturday shoot?  Due to my religious convictions, I will be unable to attend Sunday shoots.
Just shoot me a personal message on this forum whenever you're ready to go back and I'll take care of it. 

By the way, we've got one right up the road in Miamisburg, Ohio, this coming weekend.

thoricuncle

Thanks, will do.

My younger daughter wore her Appleseed shirt to school today.  Sounds like she has 2 or 3 of her friends ready to go.

Don't know about this weekend (I have to clean my gutters sometime!) but soon.

Morpheus

Congratulations Sir!
Welcome to the "Daughters Out-Shooting their Fathers" club! I earned my rifleman patch with a 212 and a 217. My 13yo earned hers with a 225 and a 238! :--- Definitely a beating I enjoyed taking.

I understand about the Sunday shooting issue. As an Elder of our church it was a weighty decision for me to miss our Sunday service in favor of a shooting event and, at first, I didn't. My wife and I decided that the AS message and learning opportunities were important enough to occasionally miss a service. This also gave us great AS conversations at church the next week when others asked if we were out of town. This is by no means an attempt to tell you what is right or wrong for you and your family, but is just one father relating to another our experience and how we made our choices.

Welcome to this great awakening! I don't personally know the instructors at your shoot but I have met many others of the same type, and I must say it is difficult to find their equal.

I hope you and your family will have another opportunity soon to attend another event. Practice dry firing at home before the next Appleseed and give yourself a chance against your sharpshooter daughters.  O0

steve
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Treehawk

that was a great shoot, me (ethan) and my dad (tom) had a great time. i cant wait tell my next appleseed, the history part was great too. I plan to try to get as many people as i can out to any appleseed.
Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems- Craft International
When the rich rage war it's the poor who die- Linkin Park

hawkhavn

All,

In reference to the church attendance issue, as a SB I always make it clear attendees are welcome to come late to Sunday's Appleseed activities rather than have to make an either/or decision.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

scuzzy

Quote from: hawkhavn on November 28, 2011, 05:55:54 PM
All,

In reference to the church attendance issue, as a SB I always make it clear attendees are welcome to come late to Sunday's Appleseed activities rather than have to make an either/or decision.

HH

Amen.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: thoricuncle on November 28, 2011, 11:43:41 AM
...My younger daughter wore her Appleseed shirt to school today.  Sounds like she has 2 or 3 of her friends ready to go....

Fantastic!  Please thank her for taking the 7th step!
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"