News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Favorite American Revolution Quotes

Started by Foppish Dandy, November 22, 2011, 02:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foppish Dandy

Hey everyone... I think I posted this in the correct place. If not, please feel free to let me know where this post should go.

I was hoping to hear some of your favorite quotes pertaining to the American Revolution. Particularly those involving shooting, taking up arms or defending our way of life...

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

George Hacker

Langer,

Here is where you will find the archive of patriotic wisdom:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18215.0

Enjoy and have a happy Thanksgiving!

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

infowarrior

@Foppish Dandy; Really enjoyed these! Really important to hold on to with the constant assaults to our second ammendment rights  especially now!
If Guns kill people, pencils misspell words, cars cause DUI's, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

SSG Platz

This is my favorite quote from the revolutionary war;

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

~The Constitution~

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

funfaler

Not technically a "Founder quote", but little doubt it was an influence upon the Founding generation: 

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. "
Edmund Burke

"Individualism", in the struggle against organized evil, is futile and needlessly sacrificial.    However, good men, working together in association, for the cause of Liberty for all, can prevail.   

Appleseed is one such association.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Johnnyappleseed

" No King but King Jesus "
works well when outlining source of American rights .

Possibly what Gen Washington was thinking when he refused to be King  ;)
Could he have reflected, we already have a king ?
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Nero

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 17, 2012, 01:27:55 PM

It doesn't work for everyone.  Remember there are arguments for Natural Law / Rights that don't involve a deity, let alone a particular one. 
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Nero on October 17, 2012, 03:05:16 PM
Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 17, 2012, 01:27:55 PM

It doesn't work for everyone.  Remember there are arguments for Natural Law / Rights that don't involve a deity, let alone a particular one.

You are correct that it may not work for everyone .
So far ,based on the feedback at events I have been honored to SB the quote and  concept has not been challenged .
It ties in with the black robe regiment and Pastor Mulenberg (sp) which I may use with a church group or a area where religion is prevelant .

Some area's ,it works  to have an attendee say a 30 second non denominational prayer . I have done this a few times and the weekend went as if it were blessed   ;)

The prayer like the pledge is of course before the official AS begins .

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

George Hacker

Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Johnnyappleseed

Thanx for the links regarding the  Muhlenberg's both of them  O0

The part of preaching from Ecclessiastes gives the opportunity for great drama ,for those so inclined to elevate portions of our christian foundation  ;)

i forgot lots of how it went down in that Virginia church .

Another quote which has a religious theme is from the Patrick Henry speech "... there is a just god who presides over the destinys of nations ..."
Calvin Coolidge

Edheler

I personally believe we're better off leaving religion as undiscussed as modern politics. Religion does not help us bail out the ship. It is just something which can divide us. I also believe that if you did offend anyone they probably wouldn't bother to tell you and just would never come back to another event.

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 17, 2012, 05:59:51 PM
You are correct that it may not work for everyone .
So far ,based on the feedback at events I have been honored to SB the quote and  concept has not been challenged .
It ties in with the black robe regiment and Pastor Mulenberg (sp) which I may use with a church group or a area where religion is prevelant .

Some area's ,it works  to have an attendee say a 30 second non denominational prayer . I have done this a few times and the weekend went as if it were blessed   ;)

The prayer like the pledge is of course before the official AS begins .

George Hacker

I introduce people to the Black Robe Regiment when I give field sermons before the Appleseed shoot on Sunday mornings.  The field sermons are available for anyone who wants to attend them and are not part of the Appleseed event.  Like the personal stories people hear during the regular Appleseed event, people approach me after the field sermon and tell me "I never heard anything like that in school before."

I think it reinforces what we teach at Appleseed and participation is completely voluntary.

ShadowMan

Edheler

I should expand my comment above to include that I do not feel there is anything wrong with this practice. :)

Quote from: ShadowMan on October 18, 2012, 04:12:00 PM
I introduce people to the Black Robe Regiment when I give field sermons before the Appleseed shoot on Sunday mornings.  The field sermons are available for anyone who wants to attend them and are not part of the Appleseed event.  Like the personal stories people hear during the regular Appleseed event, people approach me after the field sermon and tell me "I never heard anything like that in school before."

I think it reinforces what we teach at Appleseed and participation is completely voluntary.

ShadowMan

TaosGlock

Quote from: Edheler on October 18, 2012, 04:03:05 PM
I personally believe we're better off leaving religion as undiscussed as modern politics. Religion does not help us bail out the ship. It is just something which can divide us. I also believe that if you did offend anyone they probably wouldn't bother to tell you and just would never come back to another event.

Exactly and while it is not against AS policy, just tread carefully. There was a situation that arose here with a discussion on this IAAR:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17289.msg140769#msg140769

We are attempting to reach a very diverse audience these days.

What was the OP about? ;)
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: ShadowMan on October 18, 2012, 04:12:00 PM

ShadowMan

I would sure enjoy hearing you do stories on the black robe regiment . powerfull stuff especially when we consider the war for independence was impossible ! on paper
Calvin Coolidge

TruTenacity

From the beginning of our involvement with AS Reformed Redneck has given a short talk about the Black Robed Regiment and then he reads a Field Sermon he has written during the week prior to the shoot.  It is announced on Saturday that a Field Sermon will be available to attend beginning at 7:30.  It is stated attendance is voluntary.

At the CdA Ladyseed this past weekend I asked Ratchett to give her BRR talk then I read a selection of quotes from Sermons on the Outbreak of War, 1775 and ended with reading a bit from one of RR's sermons.  About 20 ladies attended.  It was well received and a number of gals asked for copies.

Modified: For clarity, the field sermons are given prior to the start of an AS and attendance is completely voluntary.  Some instructors do bring the BRR into their heritage telling during the 3 Strikes when appropriate.

I just found another good read from the same site:
AMERICANS TO ARMS - National Humanities Center

Actually, I could spend hours reading material on this site.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Transform

Quote from: Edheler on October 18, 2012, 04:03:05 PM

I strongly agree with each of these points, especially the last one about silenced dissent.

Still, it should be possible to share the historical stories with everyone present, without subjecting non-believers to the sermons. It might require a good bit of judicious editing, but sharing our history seems worth the effort.

(BTW, FWIW, "non denominational prayers" generally only work for those of OTHER denominations WITHIN the Judeo-Christian tradition, and often come across as very "denominational" to Americans from other traditions.)

alkeford

Quote from: SSG Platz on July 31, 2012, 06:28:24 AM
This is my favorite quote from the revolutionary war;

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

~The Constitution~

~PlatzOut~
Notice the Comma between State and the. A punctuation mark ( , ) used to indicate a separation of ideas or of elements within a sentence. Hence a new thought
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Publican

One line of my sig is from Lord Percy. It seems to be a slight understatement:

Quote"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

henschman

The religious part of the history deserves to be taught along with all the rest.  It was indeed a big part of those people's lives.  As with all the rest of the history, let it speak for itself.  No need to turn it into a sermon, or to imply that one must believe like the colonists if you wish to honor their tradition, etc.  Just tell it like it was, and let people draw their own conclusions from it. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

TruTenacity

Quote from: henschman on October 19, 2012, 01:44:26 PM
The religious part of the history deserves to be taught along with all the rest.  It was indeed a big part of those people's lives.  As with all the rest of the history, let it speak for itself.  No need to turn it into a sermon, or to imply that one must believe like the colonists if you wish to honor their tradition, etc.  Just tell it like it was, and let people draw their own conclusions from it.

Amen.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

alkeford

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Luke 22:36
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.