News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR -- Tuscaloosa, AL -- Nov 12-13, 2011

Started by oldfudd, November 15, 2011, 07:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfudd

We had exceptionally beautiful weather on both Saturday and Sunday for this Alabama Appleseed shoot.  Mid 70s, clear skies, and a great bunch of shooters.  4merUSMC1803 ran a picture perfect shoot, and had great support from Cadman and Meanmachine.  The facilities at the range were great, and the range people couldn't have been nicer.  My special thanks to Joe, the past range President for going out of his way to make sure they did everything they could to help us.

The thing that made the greatest impression on me for this Alabama shoot was the composition of the shooters --
we had entire families participating.  Dad, mom and the kids.  Most were 1st time Appleseeders who really absorbed the marksmanship instructions, but appeared to really thrive on the American heritage and history that was presented.  It was  really rewarding to see the spark of understanding and appreciation when they heard of the efforts of the Patriots who answered the call on April 19th, 1775.

We had to overcome some challenges with getting people familiar with loaner training rifles, but that was soon resolved.  It wasn't long before everyone was acting like old pros on the firing line.  Due to our shooters' willingness to learn, we were soon seeing the results of the marksmanship instruction through tighter and tighter groups.  The smiles kept getting bigger and broader.

On Sunday we got down to serious business with the AQTs.  After lunch we managed to break the tension of the AQT grind by taking a break and shooting at the "google" eyed plastic men.  This short little fun exercise seemed to re-entergize everyone and the AQT scores kept getting higher and higher. 

We had two Riflemen -- Furman who scored an amazing 238, and Brian who scored 212.  We had about 4 others (including 2 ladies) who were knocking at the door, but just couldn'd quite get to 210.  I was assured that "next time" would do it.

I believe that everyone, including all the instructors, had a great time, and will return for future Appleseeds.  Please feel free to add your comments, pictures, etc.

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

cadman

Another warm weather Appleseed.  I've heard that some are cold and/or rainy, but so far I don't believe it.  Just greatful for what we've been provided.

Wish we had a couple more hours to devote to heritage and a couple more for AQT's and a couple more for some shooting drills and . . .  and . . .  and . . .

Thanks to OLDFUDD for traveling to help.  It is very appreciated.  Also much thanks to 4merUSMC1803 and MEANMACHINE for hard work and great instruction.

Most of all, thanks to those who turned out to learn, shoot, learn, shoot, and learn some more!

Here are some pics:

Johnnyappleseed

Old Fudd-- Hey Dick - you should have chosen "Old reliable " as a forum name   O0
Nice to see you working again -----hahahaha
Looks like another fun AS --good job Sir!

We NCOs always look for guidance from CO's  :D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge