News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Midland TX. Nov 12/13 2011

Started by Jimi, November 14, 2011, 08:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimi

Well, after a long drive and some good rest Friday night the morning dawned partly cloudy, with an almost full moon peaking in and out, breezy and a fall chill in the air. The drive to the range was made even better with a beautiful West Texas Sunrise peaking in under the clouds. Shades of rose and peace accentuated the clouds as we drove into the rising sun. The anticipation of shoot bossing in my home state, next door to my home town was clustered with the anxiety of how many would show, and how many rifleman we could make today?

The drive was far better than it could have been since I was sharing it with a life long Friend who was attending his second Seed. I felt it in my gut he would do well, and resigned to the fact that I would trust his instruction to my more than competent and professional crew that would be there. My concerns were not with my crew, it was with the exuberance of my own feelings of SBing a shoot at "Home".

When we arrived at the range, our Host personnel were already at work prepping things that we might need, and eager to do anything we should desire to make the shoot a success. It would be the second time I would work a shoot at the Midland Shooters Association Range, (the first time was as an eager orange hat). It was also the second time I would work with our Host Range representative John, and he was just as helpful, excited and friendly as the first time. Did I mention John was an Orange Hat?

Tim and David from Lubbock arrived just a few minutes apart with Eve from Carlsbad only a few moments after. The crew was ready for setup. After staking the range line, firing line and designating the work, prep area there was a flurry of activity setting up targets, paperwork and logistical supplies.

A phone call from one group of shooters informed us they may be just a few minutes late due to them just leaving the location, (work place in the Oil Field). No worries, we would be busy signing folks in and setting up the shooters locations.

With 8 on the pre-reg list it was a surprise to have 18 on the line. Several had said they had problems with pre-registering but no worries, we got it handled.

After the opening welcome, safety rules and line commands, the shooters prepared for the first charge of the red Coats. Needless to say there were some down faces after the first charge and 11 were bayoneted.

As the morning progressed and the fire hose was opened wide, the deer in the headlights looks started to ease into steely determination. Groups on squares started to shrink, and then they started to move to their intended point of aim. Light bulbs were starting to flicker a bit.

A ball and dummy drill helped to set some of the instruction and shooting continued to improve all along the line. Breaks and attention from the Crew helped to support those that were not happy with their performance see that they were improving by simply referring them back to that morning red coat.

Noon arrived and time for lunch and some history.

We had the extreme honor of having the host ranges own John to deliver his first ever "Second Strike of the Match". To say he did well would be an insult, he did phenomenal.

There were some quiet moments as some in attendance started to contemplate the price that was placed on deposit for our now, often forgotten, freedom, and the consequences if it failed.

It gives me so much pleasure and pride to see interested Americans start to stir and wake to the realization of how close we have come at times of losing our freedoms. And it gives me great joy to spend a weekend with a dedicated Crew to hammer home and instill the desire to achieve above and beyond the common masses.

The afternoon was filled with a few groans and hesitation as we, the instructor Cod ray coaxed and twisted our sometimes not to smiley students into various shooting positions and reinforced the steady hold factors of each. With trepidation, then trust they started to conform to acceptable renditions of the demonstrated positions and continued to improve their shooting skills.

After a pair of Green Meany's, they were introduced to the dreaded, but coveted AQT. A short break and refresher of the line commands and everyone was ready for round one.
When the dust settled, (did I mention that we had a full value right wind at 18 sustained and gusts to 24, measured, the whole day?), typical West Texas weather. While the scores were tallied there were a few groans and, "Why did I do that", comments. A few checks had to be made so we continued on to the final red coat for the day. After the charge the show of hands was impressive. Only 1 got bayoneted, and 3 shoot the Murphy Square.

As we started to wind down for the day, and explain what was coming tomorrow, we had the "Extreme Honor" of presenting our first Rifleman of the event. Not with a squeaky 210 or 211, but a firm 220.

After his second Appleseed, William Clifford Goble attained the prestige of Rifleman. He would be joined by 2 more the following day.

Fred and "Doc" would join him the following day.

End of part 1, More to come, "Parkers Revenge at the Midland shooting Range".

Now to see if I can attach pictures.
Jimi
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

duc-dog

Missed you in Alamo this weekend Jimi, but I can see that you were making your own fun.  Congratulations to the new Riflemen.  Looks like y'all had a great shoot.  I'm not surprised  to see Tim and Dave made it down to lend a hand.   

See you on the trail,
            Milt
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

phreatdawg

Jimi deserves a LOT of credit for putting on an excellent event.  Thank you for being our shoot boss and please come again.  Also, Eve, David and Tim did a phenomenal job.  I especially want to thank WC Martin for all he does to make Appleseed possible in Midland, a lot of what he does is not usually seen, but without his efforts, I doubt it would have happened.  Several of the participants are friends of mine and every one of them had a great time and is looking forward to doing another Appleseed.

DieslPwrd

Thanks Jimi for the great writeup and posting photos, not to mention being the driving force behind a fantastic shoot.  Can't say enough praise to Bill and John for the range accommodations, my goodness we're AMERICANS not royalty! :)   It was great to work with such helpful "older" orange hats who answered so many questions during the weekend. 

The progress with this group of shooters from Sat. to Sun. was amazing!  ..:.. Congratulations to the new Riflemen and to all those who persisted through sand-encrusted eyes, ears, chambers and mags to become better shooters.  What a blast. 

My only regret is that I didn't steal Cliff's Nikon and snap a photo of you two BFFs hamming it up.
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman

wcmartin1

Thanks to all of the instructors and shooters for helping with another great Appleseed in Midland.

If y'all keep comin', we'll keep shootin'.

Git-R-Done!  :---
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

scuzzy

Sounds like a good dang shoot! I know I sure enjoyed the Midland range the very few times I've been out there. What is better than the range though is the hospitality shown by the residents of that area.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

CG59

A very satisfying experience. Saw some old friends again and made some new friends. I am glad I qualified on that first AQT, because I knew the grind was coming the next day and I wanted none of it! I was content to shoot a D-90 the second day and record the experience of our aspiring Riflemyn.  It really inspires me to see the youth partcipate. I know somewhere out there, some bad people are training their kids to kill our kids.  We're training their defense. :---
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms  is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  Thomas Jefferson

I can't say enough about the Midland Shooters Association club.  The place is great and the people are even greater.  Also, we had a line of students that was better than I could ask for.  These guys improved greatly over the weekend and it was a honor to work with them.

I enjoyed the weekend and am glad I was able to make this one, it is not one to miss.

XTR

I was sure I would make Rifleman at this Appleseed.  I was wrong.  No excuses.  I shot and failed.  However, I met some great Americans and had a great time. 

Honestly, I got bayoneted at the close of Saturday. 
At least I have it on video and had fun doing it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=292380757460959&set=vb.100000671107070&type=2&theater

spitstickler

Looks like a great event!   Love the video Joel. Come give us a "like" and share it with the rest of the Texas Appleseeders.  http://www.facebook.com/AppleseedTexas  The sound of those center fires in the background is pretty cool too.

Jimi, or anyone else, please feel free to post any pics you took as well.

When we hit 250 likes, we're giving away a free Appleseed gift certificate. So everyone tell your friends to join us as well.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

7.62er

Folks, it was a blast.  The improvement was GREAT!!  It was a pleasure to work with such a crew and all the participants.  I can go to Appleseeds anywhere and feel like I'm meeting with family.  People just don't know what they are missing, huh?
HUZZAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished.  (...hiding doesn't mean fear, just that he is prudent and PREPARES!)

"You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down—up to a man's age-old dream; the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course,"--Ronald Reagan

wcmartin1

Quote from: scuzzy on November 15, 2011, 10:47:17 AM
Sounds like a good dang shoot! I know I sure enjoyed the Midland range the very few times I've been out there. What is better than the range though is the hospitality shown by the residents of that area.

Missed seeing you, brother Kirby.

You and Chuck come see us next year, pard.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

wcmartin1

Quote from: Jimi on November 14, 2011, 08:48:16 PM

End of part 1, More to come, "Parkers Revenge at the Midland shooting Range".

What happened to part 2?  :cool2:

Jimi

Sunday started off a bit cool, but anticipation was high.

Something happened Sunday that I had yet to see at a Seed, we had 3 more
shooters than we had on Saturday. 2 had been to a seed previously, but one
was brand new. 8 year old Dillon.

After the necessary paperwork we set to getting Dillon settled in. Eve and
Cliff took him under their tutelage and got him set up. They explained the
safety rules and showed him how to clear and make safe a rifle. Eve
demonstrated the SHF's of prone and explained the 6 steps to firing the
shot.

The first charge of the Red Coats for the day was devastating. Not a single
shooter got bayoneted. Did you catch that? No One!!! And the instructor
staff was safe.

8 shooters intentionally hit the Murphy Square.

Young Mr. Dillon put 3 intentional rounds in the 100 yard target with a
borrowed rifle he had not seen or touched 45 minutes before.

Just before lunch we had another shooter who knew very much what he was
about. Fred Bates received the coveted Rifleman's patch.

Just after lunch Doc did the same, twice in a row.

As the day wound down, aches and pains and a little stiffness was showing on
the line. But they all continued.

All I can say is that I am ready at a moments notice to head to Midland
again for another seed.

Jimi
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

wcmartin1

Thanks again for coming out, Jimi.

Hope to see you again sometime next year, pard.

Git-R-Done!  :---