News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Manhattan 11/11-12

Started by kDan, November 13, 2011, 10:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

What better way to spend Veteran's Day than running an Appleseed mere blocks from the Canyon of Heroes with an honest to gosh Vietnam Vet?  Sorry you got stuck in the parade traffic, VV, but thanks for coming into the city and helping out.  When Rich is on the scene, I can relax a bit, because I know that all the stuff I forgot to put in my backpack, he has in his truck.

I think we've got the Plan of Instruction pretty much down for the event at this point.  I've still got to learn to get through a couple of items a bit quicker, like the ballistics talk, but things look good.  We've got at least five shooters that have been to three events out of the five at this point.  One thing I personally enjoyed was when we - me, VietVet, and CharlieHotel - got to the pizza place for lunch, it became apparent that I had neglected to tell everybody to bring their lunch back so we could do Second Strike while they ate, but that was okay; it may have cost us a half hour, but I was pleased to see just about all of the shooters sitting together and having their lunch while they chatted.  This is what it's all about, meeting like-minded people.  We're not trying to pull anybody away from what they already do (except maybe the television), but only to enrich their lives by introducing them to a new community of shooters, patriots, activists even?  A shooter mentioned to me that he had tried to bring a couple friends but had ultimately failed.  I told him about how in the more than five years I've been going to Appleseeds, I've managed to bring two friends... two.  That's not to say we shouldn't try, but recognize that Appleseeders are exceptional folks.  I've still got my old friends, but I've got a whole bunch of new ones.  And Appleseeders, somehow, are the best people I know.

Thanks to EvanW for working his second event as an IIT.  Thanks to CharlieHotel for coming in from the island to bring some good experience and charm to the event, and Congratulations and thanks to Omoy, for taking the Orange Hat.  We are growing.

Special huge thanks to Darren, John, Bion, Howard, Ken, and all the folks at the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range for not only hosting us, but donating resources, time and promotional efforts.  Literally could not do this without you guys. 

www.westsidepistolrange.com

Here are some photos from day one.  Unfortunately, I forgot my camera on day two, but luckily (of course) VietVet had one in his truck.  So I'm sure he'll be sending some our way soon enough.

Sorry my photos push everything out of whack.  I'm a bit of a Luddite.  Some day I'll figure out how to re-size en masse, but until then...  at least the images are pretty high rez, right?  Suitable for framing!

VietVet getting his honorary Calverton Hard Hat.  Who wrote that web address on the wall?  It's wrong!!!

The two best cheap dates in NYC are a six-pack on the Staten Island Ferry, or an Appleseed at Westside!

Westside Rifle and Pistol provides it for free, but I think this guys a little young for coffee!

shhh...  both Jeff and Alan are sleeping after my ballistics lecture....

Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the car that struck me in the...

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

Once again another great Appleseed in the Big Apple. These Manhattan Events are starting to grow rapidly. We've reached the point where we'll need to ask West Side to see if they can expand. We only have 16 points to shoot from and we seem to be filling those points faster every Shoot.
  Dan is correct I was honored to spend Veterans Day doing an Appleseed Event as our Nations Heros were marching down 5th Ave in the Veterans Day Parade. Can't get any better then this. O0

Special thanks to West Side for hosting these events and thanks to our Shooters who were great.
These Manhattan Events are really special for all of us. Never thought I'd see the day where Appleseeds were taking place on 5th Ave, NYC! ^:)^

Now as Dan will tell you one thing he learned this time was that I'm a better shot then he is.  ;)
I'm sure you'll all hear about this shortly.
Another thing we've learned is that Instructors RUN INTO some very unexpected obstacles while kDan Shoot Bosses. I let him explain if he chooses. (Some private little jabs going on here).

Anyway it was a great event and everything went well.

I would like to mention that a huge thank you must be given to kDan for his dedication to Appleseed and his success in getting these Manhattan Events to where they are. Each one he fine tunes to make the next one even better. Way to go Dan. :bow:

Here are a few photos I took. I don't do the photobucket thingy so hopefully these will do.

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

kDan

Hey Rich, didn't you get a picture of Omoy taking the hat?  O, that's right you were in custody at that point.  Almost forgot.

Quote from: VietVet on November 13, 2011, 12:29:07 PM
Instructors RUN INTO some very unexpected obstacles while kDan Shoot Bosses.

Let's see, what kind of obstacles?...  hmm...  a cow pasture...  a van on the Long Island Expressway...  a parked car...  Only thing I haven't seen you guys hit this year is a target!

Quote from: VietVet on November 13, 2011, 12:29:07 PM
Now as Dan will tell you one thing he learned this time was that I'm a better shot then he is. 
I'm sure you'll all hear about this shortly.

Yeah, we were interviewed for an online sports TV show.  I'll link to it if I can bear to watch it.  And yes, Rich did claim to be a better shot than me.  He also claimed to have seen "Top Shot", that he'd voted on Tuesday, and that he could drive backwards by using only his mirrors.  HA!

PS. I love the photo of Sarah in high heels.  Another first for NYS!  An Appleseed in heels!   BEAT THAT SARATOGA!!!
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

the six steps to driving on Long Island

1 - Sight
2 - Sight optional
3 - Hold your breath
4a - Focus your eyes on something irrelevant
4b - Focus your mind on a calzone
5 - Ska-weeze through tight spots!
6 - Follow closely, hold no expletives back and call your insurance company
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CharlieHotel

I think rich should change his forum name to "Slayer of Zip-ties"

CH

"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

nyrasgt

DB, VV, et. al.,
   Permit me to observe the following, with regard to Manhattan...
1)  S'not about Manhattan v. Saratoga.
2)  That said, a suggestion might have been made to remove said heels, thus providing, clearly, steadier
position foundations, as opposed to balancing on a pinky-tip-sized heeyul...
3)  One of these days, going to have to return to the land of my birth (assuming parking can be found) and attend one of these events, preferably when there's a day off on the Monday following...
4)  Someone needs to reach out to Xavier H.S. on 18th Street - military school, had scholastic rifle team, and...two blocks away...
5)   Same should be done with an eye toward supplementing Calverton with the Nassau County Rifle and Pistol Range, located right next to the Nassau Coliseum...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

TheNouveauJaeger

Hi y'all.  Great getting to meet you last weekend.

Here's my AAR:

http://thenouveaujaeger.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/still-a-cook-plus-gunshow-roadtrip/

I left out the part about the 10 MOA groups and insufficient ventilation,  ;D

Anyway. Keep me posted about upcoming shoots.

Best, TNJ

SPQR

I just sit here in awe that you jokers are able to pull this thing off.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

kDan

I have been having trouble getting on the internet, but here's the pic of NYS's newest IIT - Thanks and congrats, OMOY!!!

Here's the link to an interview of myself and Vietvet for an internet show called MarblePlayTV:

http://youtu.be/M-9yKjQHsE4

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout