News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Saint Augustine, FL Nov 12-13 AAR

Started by Johnnyappleseed, November 12, 2011, 09:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

The founders are smiling on Florida today  O0

Thank You Ancient city gun club for hosting this AS .

So many good things about today , not sure where to start --- Florida instructors ^5 weather great ,
attendee's SUPER !

Will post more later , and if you have patience-- even some pics :D

Everyones comments welcome .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

Would have liked to have been there.

Great job FL!
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

smoakingun

overall a great weekend for an appleseed! We could not have asked for better weather or better students. Bennet, if you read this, Theri has your mat/ rug, maybe we can get it to you before you move. We had 9 kids on the line this weekend, all of whom pushed through the entire weekend without a single complaint. A special thanks to their parents for raising such great kids. All in all it seemed that a good time was had by all
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

oldfudd

Hey JA, how'd you manage to slip through Georgia without giving me a shout?  As usual, I suspect you ran a great shoot in St. Augustine.  Sorry I missed your shoot bossing, as I'd liked to have seen you, and maybe even have been able to help out.   ~~:)  Oh well, there's always another one here in the South that will offer you an excuse to slip out of CA for a breath of fresh air. 

See ya.

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

colycat

Posted by Shielded on the FL board:

I had never been to a Project Appleseed event, although my wife and daughters did last year. They were impressed, learned a lot, and had fun. So, I decided to take my two 9 year-old boys with me this year, along with my wife, last weekend in St. Augustine.

I walked away, after only attending on Saturday, with a mostly a favorable impression of the coordinators and range trainers. They were very knowledgeable, and were very helpful to us when we needed individual attention. The stories were interesting, and added to the importance of learning to properly handle a firearm. My sons had a great time, as it was their first time using a firearm greater than a BB gun!  ;)

There were two issues that took away from our having 100% enjoyment. One, we felt "jammed" together, with little to no spacing between the shooters (about 15 shooters). My wife mentioned to me afterward that last year they were set-up on a larger range area, and were not as cramped. This led to both of my sons being "stung" by hot shells that were ejected by the person standing too close to their left. One of my boys caught one that fell into and behind his safety glasses and burned his upper and lower eyelid on his left eye. The other caught one down the back of his shirt, where it left a burn mark. They were troopers though. After crying it out, they got back to the line and shot some more. I'm proud of them.  O0

The second issue we had was the flying debris, mostly spent bullets that had been embedded at the tops of the berms surrounding us on three sides, that were kicked up by shooters on the adjacent ranges to our left and to our right. The debris was intermittently "raining" down on us, and an old .45 bullet smacked my wife above her butt. Also, hearing the sounds of bullets ricocheting overhead was a bit disconcerting! In addition, several times the live fire around us made it difficult to hear what the instructors were saying. I think better forethought should be placed when scheduling for Appleseed events at this range.

All in all, we had a great time, and appreciate the efforts and dedication of the volunteers there. We will be there again next year, hopefully.   :)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: oldfudd on November 15, 2011, 12:18:19 PM
Hey JA, how'd you manage to slip through Georgia without giving me a shout?  As usual, I suspect you ran a great shoot in St. Augustine.  Sorry I missed your shoot bossing, as I'd liked to have seen you, and maybe even have been able to help out.   ~~:)  Oh well, there's always another one here in the South that will offer you an excuse to slip out of CA for a breath of fresh air. 

See ya.

Dick
Hey Dick ,
Was thinking of you lots going through the great state of Georgia O0

Unfortunately the time schedule did not work out this time .  :(

I recall with fondness the Canton shoot . Looking forward to talking with you soon .  ;D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Johnnyappleseed

Shielded -- Thank you for making your 1st post -- I had the post moved to the event After Action  Reports section on the forum .

The post was copied and put on the AAR because we wanted to have everyone read your important observations. We talked about some of them after the event and some issues should be corrected by the next date.

Hopefully others will add to the discussion for further clarity.

Calvin Coolidge

smoakingun

Sheilded, we apologize for how cramped we were this event. This was our first time on this particular range, usually we are out on the "back 40" where we have more space and no projectile rain. Your boys did a great job, and shrugged off a lot and kept shooting. I learned something very valuable this shoot, the importance of properly fitting safety gear, and I purchased smaller safety glasses to have on hand for the next event.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson