News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Leyden MA Nov.5-6

Started by goodpiper, November 07, 2011, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodpiper

What a glorias weekend!! The weather for November was about as good as it gets. Yes, it was chilly both mornings, but it wasn't anything that a good camp fire, or burning powder wouldn't take care of.

On Saturday we had 5 shooters on the line, ranging from first time shooter (Thomas M.) to experienced shooter (Scott P.). All were eager and attentive.  Coaching and Instruction came from 3 watchfull IIT's; AmericaStandsStrong, aim, and Mr.Freedom. Events beyond their control kept MetalgodZ, NightJade, and voidoid from joining us, and they were missed!

AmericaStandsStrong (Blake) did a great job working with Thomas M. for much of the day Sat. This was Thomas's 11 birthday.

Scott and his son Thomas P. (there were two Thomas's, 11 and 12) acquited themselves well. Scott was our first rifleman (238 high score?).

Both Thomass showed maturity in following instruction and rifle handling. Together they were wonderfull audience members for the Strikes.

Fred D. was our 2nd rifleman with a high score of 223. The mechanical issues of the previous AS were resolved and he settled into making his bolt action Savage "hum".

On Sun. I was pleased to give Fred D. an Orange hat. And look forward to working with him on the Appleseed Trail.

Sean U.  made great strides over the weekend. Coming up over 50 points from Sat, to Sun. with a top score of 203. I look forward to seeing him again, he should break the line the next time out.

Our Sun. youth was Ulysses, who hit 200. His scores keep going up as his shooting settles down.

Again, it was a GREAT weekend.
Thank you one and all!

Mr.Freedom

I love the Leyden Rifle Club shooting range. And I really enjoyed working with Goodpiper, AmericaStandsStrong and aim. The Fearsome Foursome? Probably not.  ;D

A few highlight moments for me: Watching Fred D. smoothly and seamlessly running the bolt on that Savage rimfire. AND requalifying numerous Riflemens scores!

Scott P. with his custom decked out 22 with which he shot an amazing 241! I say that is the highest score I have witnessed in two years of Appleseeding.

Ulysses consistently shooting between 190 and 200 very much impressed me and might I say some of his groups on his redcoats could be covered over with a quarter.

Fred D. cleaning two or three of the four redcoats we shot.

Thomas M. and Thomas T. for sticking it out the whole day and not missing a COF.

Fred D. and Andre running out to the 200 yard berm and back to get the blood flowing.

Ulysses and his Dad racing out to the 100 yard berm. Did Andre let his son win? Hmmmmm ;)

Sean U. showing his true mettle and being honest about the fatigue factor. I will guesstimate that Fred D. and Sean U. put 1200 rounds downrange over the weekend!!!

Sean U. with his very impressive 203 and even more teachable attitude and asking great questions!!

Goodpiper, AKA, the "Range Gnome"! Telling the strikes and the stories whilst his countenance drifted in and out of the campfire smoke. Quite an illusion if I say so myself. And let me be frank. Goodpiper puts a 100% effort into his shoot bossing. He runs a fantastic shoot. Explains things clearly, delegates and just knows a lot about our heritage. He is truly a great asset to the Appleseed program.

And last but not least. Spending the weekend with Blake. I was so proud of him and the way he worked all day Saturday with Thomas M. So patient and yet firm and clear. At the risk of embarrassing my son, he is turning into a fine young man, and one that I am highly proud of.

aim also did great work with Sean U.

Well thats all I got for now. I will see you all later on the trail  Keep your powder dry!
Don't Ever Forget 9/11

I Pray Not For An Easy Life, But That I Become A Strong Person.

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph Thomas Paine

pills

Thanks guys.  This was our first appleseed, my son really wanted to get back for day two but it just wasn't in the cards this time.  We had a lot of fun and the instructors were all great. We Look forward to next years events.  I think I will get a gun set up with irons for next year (my son tells me I was cheating using a scoped rifle)
Thanks again  :~

Scott

AmericaStandsStrong