News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Eleanor, WV November 5,6 2011

Started by MacMcM, November 06, 2011, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMcM

Another GREAT weekend at the PCGC Liberty Range!

We had 5 shooters this time and were joined by Louie from Ohio a "border-raiding" IIT3.

Louie(IIT3 OH) ran the line all weekend with help from siglite(RH WV), Conquistador(IIT WV), and OldButtPlate(IIT KY) OldButtPlate earned his Rifleman patch and took the Orange Hat in October.

Now for the good stuff:
Louie's son Jeff shot his Rifleman score of 210 on Saturday and got a bath!
At Eleanor, we have a special event every Sunday AM of the AS COF. We complete all of the instruction and all 3 strikes on Saturday and get as many AQT's shot as possible. Then on Sunday morning we go to the "Big" range and shoot a steel silhouette at 250 yds, first shot of the day and cold bore. Anyone who hits the target is awarded a special patch.... It says Morgans Crew.
We also discuss KD and comeups at this event. Our first one was in May and we got one member of Morgans Crew (vanrichten). The second time we did this was last month and we got 4 more members qualified. OldButtPlate missed at his turn in October, but his wife Antoinette got it. I am sure he heard about it all month!

Today, OBP redeemed himself in spades... He not only made the prone shot, but followed it standing and sitting. 3P TRIPLE MORGAN!

Then back to the Liberty 25M range and Louie's son Jeff repeated his Expert score with a 227 and Antoinette earned her patch with a 218!

Two of our shooters were 8 and 10 yrs old and were with us for Saturday only. They went from not hitting paper on Sat AM to shooting tight groups by Sat PM and hitting redcoats. Two fine young men, Laser Luke (8yrs) and Tactical Tim (10yrs). SavageRabbit is to the point of self-diagnosing problems and had a couple of "AH HA"  moments, and shot a 191...knocking on the door!

I will post some pics this week when I figure out how to download them from my new camera.

Join right in and post up any comments or pictures.
MacMcM SB
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

siglite

This was a great Appleseed.  Great students, great instructors, an all around good time.   I actually got to spend some time in the dirt shooting.  I really think us instructors should do that when we can.  Last month, Mrs. OBP said, "I want to see HIM shoot an AQT."  Which I did.  Poorly. 

This is a sign, no?  Ole siglite's been doing too much run-n-gun tactical CQB crap for six or ten months, and apparently forgot how to shoot a rifle.  And this, after admonishing students at every AS, "these skills are perishable! You have to practice them or they go away!"

Well, after a not-so-pretty AQT and a few clicks up, I shot a respectable score.  I stayed in the dirt shooting for a while, too.  Just to keep scrubbing that rust off.  Then, I went down the line, relieved an over-worked RSO, so he could play in the dirt, too. 

Also, I got to see that "determination" kick in with Mrs. OBP.  She decided on one particular AQT, enough was enough, and it was time to get that patch.  And she did just that.  VAShooter's words rang in my ears.  "You have to *want* that shot.  Every shot."

Also, the frosty mornings were completely offset by the sunny, 65-ish days.  Really couldn't have asked for better Appleseed weather.
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

Louie

Hello to my WV Friends! Wow, you guys sure know how to make a border raider feel welcome. It was great to be with all of you at your beautiful range there in Eleanor. One thing is for sure...in Appleseed you never meet a stranger.
From the weather, the beautiful range, the friendly faces, and the TWO new Riflemen this weekend, things couldn't have been better.
Thanks for putting up with a couple of Buckeyes this weekend and letting a son and dad have a special weekend together.
I'm very glad that we had the opportunity to make so many new friends.
MacMcM - we are going to take you up on your invitation to use your range. I'll be in contact via PM.
Again thanks for your hospitality...Louie
"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." --George Washington, Thanksgiving Proclamation, 1789

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."

Oldbuttplate

This was my first time working as a iit and on the way home I was thinking back to the first one and the words from MacMcM at the end of the day  " thank you all for coming " now at  that time I was thinking what do they get at of this, no pay! So why?
Well I know now, this is what I came away with, two boys with 22 rifles on the line that did it by the book at the age of 10 and 8. The look in a man's eyes as his son got his riflemans patch. The hard work put in by everyone on that line. The look on my wifes face when she shot her 218  and Mac give her the riflemans patch.
No one could give me anything better thin the way I was feeling after this weekend.
So with that let me say Thank you MacMcM and Siglite for all you do and for the open door so  I can give in some way something back.

George Hacker

Welcome to the instructor cadre, Oldbuttplate. Thanks for sharing your first IIT experience.  It made my day.

Congrats on Mrs. Oldbuttplate getting her patch!   ^:)^

May you continue to have many wonderful shoots as you walk along the Appleseed trail.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

MacMcM

OBP and Mrs. OBP are the FIRST Morgans Crew couple!

I just realized that!

ShadowMan, Thanks for your comments. My cigar smoke must be thick since reading OBP's remarks, my eyes are wet.

Without  :DH:   Welcome Cecil, you and Antoinette are family now, don't be strangers.

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

siglite

Quote from: ShadowMan on November 07, 2011, 12:35:15 PM
Welcome to the instructor cadre, Oldbuttplate. Thanks for sharing your first IIT experience.  It made my day.

Likewise.   :)
--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

vanrichten

Sounds like a great weekend was had by all.  I'm sorry I missed it!  Figures one of the few AS's I miss at Eleanor is such a great weekend  :wb:

Welcome OBP and all of the new Riflemen!  Waking up America is a great feeling huh OBP?  ..:..
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West