News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Lapeer, MI Oct 29-30, 2011

Started by ITB, November 01, 2011, 01:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Wow, what a weekend!  Another great shoot in the history book. 

We had a great group of students, and a whole mob of instructors.  Saturday was busy with points of instruction, great history, and even an AQT or two.  On Sunday, we cranked out more AQT's, taught KD, then went over to the 200-yard range to let the students smack steel with some centerfire rifles.  We also had three re-enactors, shooting their muskets and rifles.  George was kind enough to let some students (and instructors) fire his Brown Bess.

Plenty of 1-on-1 instruction was happening this weekend.  We were operating two lines, which was easy with all the instructors present.  All of the students brought very teachable attitudes, and the results proved it.  We had a few repeat Riflemen, and a few new Riflemen, and several more knocking at the door.

Thanks to everyone for coming out. Tom and Kyle were only planning to come on Saturday, but had so much fun they came back Sunday, too!  Ryan re-qualified, Derek earned his patch, and Kate shot a 199.  I know you'll crack 210 next time, Kate! 

John B scored Rifleman with smooth technique and a bolt-action .22.  John R re-qualified.

George B was so hot, he caught fire.  Luckily, George's close encounter with the propane heater resulted only in a singed shirt, and nothing more, thanks to BeeFree's quick reflexes extinguishing the flames.  Not to make light of the situation, George, I'm sorry about your shirt, but the nickname Fireball comes to mind..... :o  Nice shooting!

I hope lots of shooters and instructors post up.  On with some pics....

Raising the colors first thing in the morning:

Miki doing a down 'n dirty IMC:

BeeFree and Grindstone teaching seated positions:

BeeFree teaching some history:

Sandy getting extra attention:

Lots of personal attention:

Teaching standing:

Superheat with some of our youngsters - Colin, Evan, Jacob and Kyle:

George's singed shirt:

Where are those Redcoats?  Come get some!

George Z squeezing off a shot with his Brown Bess:

Some of Morgan's Riflemen?

Evan and Kyle smacking steel at 200 yards:

Gibson showing good form with a lefty AR-15, Miki watching closely:

The Shoot Boss gets some trigger time as Miki works with Colin:

Derek, one of our new Riflemen, with BeeFree:

A proud papa with our youngest Rifleman:

Our Instructor mob:

L to R: Swamp Thing, Usul, Heartbreaker, Grindstone, TenThumbs, BeeFree, Superheat, Miki, SteelThunder, intheburbs, Waveman
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

SteelThunder

+1000 to burbs' summary.  Great venue (let's hear it for heaters on the line!!), GREAT students, great instructors cadre.

The enthusiasm of Ron and his 2 boys was infectious (Collin was still running to the target and back to the line at 2 pm on Sunday).  Tom and Kyle became MORE enthusiastic the longer they were there.  Sandy worked and worked and worked.  Everyone worked hard, improved and had smiles on their faces.  The reenactors were priceless...the BOOM of the flintlock and sulphur smell of the blackpowder was unbeatable.

...and I learned to READ THE DANG SCRIPT!   ;D
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

mac66

Congrats to Derek on earning his patch

And Punk, I swear she is gonna be running things one day. Nice job!  O0

Lapeer is always a happening. Looks like everyone had fun.  See everyone back there in December.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Swamp Thing

Another safe and successful Appleseed event in the books.

The TV stayed off, the couches were left empty and lonely, a fantastic group of Americans gathered to learn the art of marksmanship and some important history.

And the founders smiled.

Congratulations to all the shooters whom all showed great progress and improvement. We gained a few more riflemen and a few even came back to reconfirm their already high level skills.

And did I mention that my 8 year old daughter Aria (Punk) shot a 216? No? Well, let me say it again (since I'm telling everybody I see, whether I know them or not) my daughter shot a rifleman's score!!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ Yes, it was all prone on sandbags, but proud dad doesn't care. Huzzah!

I'm pretty bummed put that I won't be around for next December's shoot but I can't wait to get back again soon, hopefully in the spring.

Let's all do this again sometime.

ST

Superheat

Yes, Another wonderful weekend at Lapeer. It seemed like a reunion of sorts.  Special thanks to George Z., John H. and George B. for wearing their period dress and demostrating the use of a Brownbess and early rifles.  BOYS NEXT TIME LETS MAKE THAT BUCKET SHOT.  I know you guys can do it. 
Steve a returning appleseeder who brought his grandson said to me 'I've shot my whole life but I WAS NOT A RIFLEMAN UNTIL I WENT THROUGH AN APPLESEED'.  Apparently, he regularly beats his friends in small bore shooting and they don't know why. 
Tom and Kyle, I can't wait to see you both with rifleman patches.

Kate next time bring lots of antihistimines.  ;D
Sandy, I hope to see you back soon... bring Fireball with you.

Colin, Evan and Ron; which one of you guys will be the first to earn your patch?  You all learned so much this weekend.

Cadre nice job.

Fireball

Prone instruction

History

Punk, junior rifleman

Derek Rifleman

Kyle with brownbess

Tom and Kyle

FLAT WATER JOHNNY RECONFIRMED HE NEEDS AND ORANGE HAT

Heartbreaker

This weekend In Lapeer was my first as an instructor and I was quite nervous. I so desperately wanted to do a good job. I believe fullheartedly in what this organization is all about and have been impressed with the safety aspect from day one.  O0

Beefree, a huge thank you to for being so gentle with me, It really put me at ease!

Working with everyone, students and instructors, was a thrill. I really hope to see you back in December to GET your rifleman patch. So many were so close.

These skills do work, and I am proud to be a part of it!

Heartbreaker (Ruby)

Usul

Another great weekend! Safe rifles, tight groups, great people, and all sorts of skill levels!
The period guys and gear were great. Steve and John nailing rifleman scores with bolt actions  :o

Thanks for posting pictures, see you back in December  :)

ITB

Quote from: SteelThunder on November 01, 2011, 12:39:59 PMGreat venue (let's hear it for heaters on the line!!)

Shhhhh.  That's supposed to be our little secret.  Those southern Appleseeders think we're fighting harsh winters up here.  We have to make 'em think we EARN those Winterseed patches.   >:D
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

SteelThunder

REDACTED   ;D  Dang it, leave it to the new guy to let slip the secret sauce
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

BeeFree

You crack me up.

I was dreading running the second line driving all the way up there (you know how I feel about shootbossing, even pretend shootbossing like that) - and 15 minutes after I arrived, you all had me laughing, and I had a great time the whole weekend long.  I even enjoyed the driving. 
I want to thank Cool George (to keep him separate from George-On-Fire) again for the history lesson afterwards on how fast you can melt lead to make balls the correct size for your musket.  TenThumbs and Grindstone - thanks for all you did to keep the line running smoothly, and especially for a great Strike, Eric!  Heartbreaker, it was a pleasure working with you, and I hope we get to do it again soon!  Actually, I want to see you and the rest of the crew at the IBC in January.  As for the rest of the crew, I'm only sorry that with two lines running, I didn't get to spend as much time with everyone as I had hoped.  For the shooters on my line, John, George, John, Ryan, Derrik, Kate - you were all a blessing to me - I think I learned far more from you all than you could have from me.  Y'know, you'd look great in orange/red/green hats...  Congrats on all the fine Rifleman scores, and Kate you are soooo close, one more shoot should push you over the top.  And Veronica and Maddie - NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo! 

BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

ITB

Quote from: BeeFree on November 03, 2011, 11:55:39 PM
.....and 15 minutes after I arrived, you all had me laughing, and I had a great time the whole weekend long.....

Hmmm....we're slacking.  We'll try to get you laughing quicker next time.  It's kinda fun, you always seem to show up grumpy.   !@#)    :))

BeeFree

Quote from: intheburbs on November 04, 2011, 04:12:40 PM
Quote from: BeeFree on November 03, 2011, 11:55:39 PM
.....and 15 minutes after I arrived, you all had me laughing, and I had a great time the whole weekend long.....

Hmmm....we're slacking.  We'll try to get you laughing quicker next time.  It's kinda fun, you always seem to show up grumpy.   !@#)    :))

A morning person I am NOT.  In fact, according to Mr.BeeFree, I am not even human until after my first cup of tea is gone. 

BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!