News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Williamsburg KY, Oct 29-30, 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, October 31, 2011, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

A little frost on the board never hurt anyone, and we all made it across the creek without getting wet  ;D

Hats off to the Houseman family for hosting a great event. We had a lot of really good shooters this weekend, perfect fall weather, beautiful blue skies, and the sound of Freedom. Who could ask for more?

If the fact that a Distinguished Rifleman agreed the Appleseed instruction was good, the AQT was harder than it looks, and the History was worth the trip, doesn't convince you to come to an Appleseed... you are just plain crazy.

We had lots of youngsters on the line, women and men, grandfathers and grandsons, mom's and daughters. Lots of targets were perforated, and quite well I might add.

We saw some fine scores with two requalified Rifleman and two new Rifleman. Daniel shot a 212 with his Ruger and a 236 with his M1A, Mike upped the ante with a 239 on a borrowed rifle. They both left our two previous Rifleman behind posting a 213 and a 217. I defend my score with the fact our Applecore will not score an instructor with a 30 cal break! Our host would likely have made it, maybe Lee as well. They just need to decide which target to shoot at [ducks and runs]

It was good to make new friends, Bill and all the youngsters who either knew him or he knew them, Morgan and Hal, Mike, Conner, Lee, and Chase. Everyone else I may have forgot, A pleasure to spend the weekend with you.

We also got the treat of seeing old Appleseed friends again. Michele, Noah, Mag-Load-Er, and Jonathan. Your positions and perseverance was an example to everyone.

Let's see if Niecie can get some pictures up tonight, if not tomorrow for certain.

Thanks everyone, it was a pleasure. All of the instructors enjoyed our weekend.

YHJ

PS. Mag-Load-Er shoots like a girl, and that is a compliment. Victoria, you are always welcome on my line  ;)
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Mudcat

Did Victoria shoot a Rifleman score??? If so I may have to pay up on a debt.  O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

yellowhousejake

Quote from: Mudcat on October 31, 2011, 08:38:59 PM
Did Victoria shoot a Rifleman score??? If so I may have to pay up on a debt.  O0

Not yet, but she is getting there. She and Noah looked good behind a Garand, I think their SHF are solid!!!

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

His work gloves were dry and cracked as they drove the post holer into the cold earth.  The dirt did not give up easily.  Persistence rang true and the ground finally relented.  He tossed the holer into the bed of the ancient pick up and drug out the old locust limb that would be a new post.  He dropped it into the hole and began to tamp dirt in with it.  There was a call from the cab of the pick up.  At first he thought it was the wind, chill and dry in the autumn air pushing its way through half fallen leaves.  There was another crackle from the cab.

The work had warmed him and he threw the old Carhartt jacket into the cab.  He leaned over the seat and grabbed the CB mic, "This here's the Rubber Duck."

A voice came back, panicked and desperate.  "Somebody has to pull that Williamsburg shoot out of the fire."  He squinted his eyes and sucked air through his teeth, spitting sharply into the short autumn grass of the pasture.

"Alright, lets put the rubber side down and shiny side up."  Ol' SPQR finished tamping the post and pulled himself into the old truck, dust erupted when his weight hit the seat. 

What a great shoot!  Thanks to the Hillside Plinkers and Butch for opening up his range and his home to offer hospitality and comfort to this beleaguered instructing crew pitched so far from home!  How much of a rifleman is this guy?  On Saturday morning he had bacon waiting for me.  Bacon!  The Breakfast of Riflemen!

Thanks to the shooters, you guys and gals were great and thanks to the Mount Vernon crew for getting down and adding to the fun!
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

ATM

Quote from: SPQR on October 31, 2011, 10:50:33 PM
...On Saturday morning he had bacon waiting for me.  Bacon!  The Breakfast of Riflemen!

His attention piqued and senses sharpened, as if by a savory memory not his own, ATM faces south and nods approvingly.

Sounds like another fine shoot and plenty of Rifleman performance. Huzzah!
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: SPQR on October 31, 2011, 10:50:33 PM
His work gloves were dry and cracked as they drove the post holer into the cold earth.  The dirt did not give up easily.  Persistence rang true and the ground finally relented.  He tossed the holer into the bed of the ancient pick up and drug out the old locust limb that would be a new post.  He dropped it into the hole and began to tamp dirt in with it.  There was a call from the cab of the pick up.  At first he thought it was the wind, chill and dry in the autumn air pushing its way through half fallen leaves.  There was another crackle from the cab.

The work had warmed him and he threw the old Carhartt jacket into the cab.  He leaned over the seat and grabbed the CB mic, "This here's the Rubber Duck."

A voice came back, panicked and desperate.  "Somebody has to pull that Williamsburg shoot out of the fire."  He squinted his eyes and sucked air through his teeth, spitting sharply into the short autumn grass of the pasture.

"Alright, lets put the rubber side down and shiny side up."  Ol' SPQR finished tamping the post and pulled himself into the old truck, dust erupted when his weight hit the seat. 

"Again, I have no idea what you are talking about."
Tuvia Bielski (played by Daniel Craig), Defiance

I do believe we SPANKED this shoot.  It is an honor to be associated with the likes of YHJ, Niecie and SPQR.  Bravo Zulu!

Thanks to all the shooters for getting out and gettin' it done.  Congrats to Daniel and Mike for your Rifleman badges.  Welcome to the journey.  Thanks to Butch for graciously giving us a second chance.  Looking forward to our return visit next year.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Niecie

What a fantastic weekend! It was wonderful to meet and work with ya'll :) It is so awesome to see families and individuals show up on Saturday morning, and all leave as inspired Americans that have helped each other and become friends.

Thank you to our most gracious host! You have a wonderful range and a fun family. I look forward to working with you again. 

Unbridled Liberty, thank you, thank you, thank you... this would not have been possible without your persistence and hard work  :bow:

Thank you all again! See you down the line...

Niecie

And now, here are the photos I promised...

A glorious morning ^:)^

Good Morning Shooters!

Trigger exercise...

Pumping up the stock...

Learning the six steps

Learning to use the sling

Carding the sites...

Time for the First Strike...

Back to work learning the positions...

Stay tuned for Sunday....

Niecie

I meant to mention in my last post, I think Kentucky has awesome potential, and I REALLY hope to see some orange hats very soon (Oh you KNOW who you are :)

Here are the rest of the photos.

Shooters helping their neighbors, aka Ball and Dummy

**)  **) Shoot Boss, Line Boss, and THE Boss

The Grind

Our First Rifleman...Congratulations Daniel ^:)^

More AQTs

...and more Riflemen
Congratulations Morgan ^:)^

and Congratulations Mike ^:)^

A job well done from the entire group!

Niecie

Okay, final pic post. Here are the photos of folks shooting the Garand. They LOVED it ^:)^

Loading the Garand....

And releasing quickly! Unbridled Liberty knows this well!

Intense concentration...

A little apprehensive at first...

After, well the expression says it all  ^:)^

Whoooooaaa!!!

Magloader

My turn!!

First of all.....I would like to let the whole forum know my name is magloader...NOT Mag-load-er or Maggie.

I had SOOO much fun this weekend!This was my 3rd Appleseed,and I though I have not scored yet.Do not worry,Mudcat...My day is coming and then we can finish that debt.After this weekend,I was able to push my score up from 186 to a 198...I am almost there!! YellowHouseJake let me shoot my first centerfire on his Garand. I do have to admit that the first 4 or 5 shots I closed my eyes
(blushes in shame and hides from all former instructors, AND parents). All the instuctors were very helpful and history was AWSOME!!SQPR told Samuel Whitimore's story in a way that I had never heard before.And even though it was cold in the morning,it warmed up and we had a great shoot!I cannot wait until my next one!

Many thanks to Butch for allowing us to use his land for the shoot.

Thank you to YellowHouseJake, Unbridled Liberty, Niecie, and SPQR for teaching and training and putting up with me.You guys were all great!!!

P.S. to YHJ..I still have my totem,and it goes with me everywhere.

P.P.S. to SQPR  Chocolate is the breakfast of RifleWomen ;)

Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Unbridled Liberty

NIECIE- YOUR PICTURES ARE TOTALLY MAGNIFICENT!   O0 Thank you!
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

old deaf coach

I taught my first rifle class when I was 12, I got an NRA cert. at 16 & then Marines learnt me a thing or 2. I've been 4H certified in several areas & attended Ky's CCDW course & the CMP's Master Instructor class & after all that I think Appleseed is by far the best all around course of instruction. Not as intense as the Crotch (USMC) nor as finely tuned as the CMP (can u say Gary Anderson ???) but more fun, VERY safe & carefully thought out. Me thinks the Appleseed shoots provide a worthwhile experience for beginners as well as old salts. I hope we can host another one soon.

I'd like to extend an invitation to all for upcoming Plinkers shoots. I hope to have another Bullseye Pistol match in the next couple of wks, no firm date set & we will once agn be doing the "Winter Games", a series of 3 CMP Garand matches on the 2nd Sunday of Dec., Jan. & Feb. These matches go at 2 PM in all wx except HIGH water ! Loaner guns r available, girls can TRY...if they're tuff enough !

My contact info is 606-549-0110 or diogenesdog@wildblue.net

Tnx,
Butch

Magloader

*if* Huh? Well I would like to point out, Butch..at least girls know exactly WHICH target to shoot....

That sounds like a lot of fun!I shall have to try and get out there!

Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6