News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Booth at 2 upcoming guns shows?

Started by tittiger, October 30, 2011, 09:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tittiger

2 upcoming shows in the Springfield area:

Nov 19-20 Lebanon, Cowen Civic Center 500 Elm St RK Shows, 563-927-8176 email:kehrli8@n-connect.net

Dec 3-4 Springfield Ozark Empire Fairgrounds/E-Plex  RK Shows 563-927-8176 email:kehrli8@n-connect.net

Just want to make the powers that be aware  that they are occurring and that I would be willing to man either or both of these if we can get a booth together.

In Liberty
Joe

"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."
~ Thomas Paine

Celt

" the powers that be" LOL ;D that's funny Joe. Yeah I guess that it's pretty much just me that you are talking to. I've had tables at two Springfield gun shows, with out being aware that we got any shooters out of it. But I guess that we can keep trying. If I can get some more shoots scheduled for Dadeville then it might be worth doing( I'll get to work on that).  That show is the same weekend as the Centerton AR shoot and if I'm home I'm going to go there. So you'd probably be on your own. Great enthusiasm and thanks for the heads up.   Celt 
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

ItsanSKS

Hey celt-

There's been a longstanding debate about the usefulness of doing gun shows, and it usually ends up the same way:  "we didn't see any new shooters because of it".  Very true, and not for lack of trying, I know.

However, I was recently introduced to a new tact to take at the gun shows, and it seems to be working:

Set up your table as per usual, but collect email addresses, offering free attendance to an appleseed event.  Use the collected emails to send information about appleseed, advising them of the shoots available in your area, and a link to the registration page for the various events.   

If you have a state-based newsletter, add their emails to it. 

GA has seen an increase in attendance from this, and we are working on implementing here in FL too. 

Let me know if I can be of any assistance,

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

George Hacker

We are thinking about hitting the self reliance and homeschool expos in the Pacific Northwest.  I have heard that these folks are more willing to engage in conversation and are interested in what Appleseed has to offer.  Many of them are first time shooters.

This may be a cultural thing here and your mileage may vary.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

tittiger

Great idea ItsanSKS! Shadowman - I  think that homeschoolers are a great idea and viable in my area.

Hopefully we are getting desperate enough to do what ever it takes.

I would not totally blow off gun shows  guys as tracking people's motivations over long periods of time is difficult. For instance how do you track the guy that sees an article somewhere about Appleseed months late, that he would have blown off if not for the original contact at a gun show, and he attends because of it?

Shooters must be interested, as Front Sight has  done a drastic expansion of instructors this year. I think we need to re-evaluate our marketing and also make considerations for the economy as our targeted audience are not all that well off to start with. I have lots of ideas, would love to find someone to listen. Tired of talking to myself.   :DH:   
~ Thomas Paine

nemohunter

i think shows work IF your new to the area/show. we had a massive turn out a lot of it was from the gunshow that was local. sadly the fall show was the same date as the RBC this fall. doing a seed is more important than promo to me so thats when i was.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

FreeCelt

I don't think I'll be much help sorry :/ . I think what we've been doing isn't working but I like the idea of getting e-mails. I'd would be willing to try that promo method at another show sometime in the future. RK won't give AS a table. Cost it's ends up being about $70 with tax. I don't know anything about the other venue.
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong;
Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong;
Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

nemohunter

cost is a factor for a table i agree. there is nothing that says you cant pay an entry fee $5-10 and hand out a stack of trifolds while your inside browsing/buying. done that at St. charles show once and worked well. dont know if we saw any good from it since we had ZERO localish shoots then. now with close shoots BG and Rosebud it might be a better time to try again.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Celt

I like the idea of collecting e-mails that is something that we need to do at shoots as well. Is there anyone in MO that would want to do the data entry work and send the spam emails about the shoots?
That Lebanon GS isn't to far from Rosebud so it might be worth looking in to. Would anyone else besides Joe want to do some promo work there?
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

tittiger

Celt,
If MO shoot bosses or whomever email me the adress's, phone numbers, and emails
collected at shoots and guns shows, I will database them and send out notices when appropriate.

I would try to collect all 3 in case one of them is not legible.

~ Thomas Paine

Celt

nyrasgt

Gents,
   Concur that collecting emails of interested folk (esp. with potential of saving bucks that could then be spent on ammo for the rest of the family for the shoot - emphasis to contacts on "bring your___[spouse, children, parents, grandparents, etc - anyone] may also be quite useful.

Another focus could be the CMP-eligibility-to-purchase that Appleseed participation confers, e.g.:  "Shoot at an Appleseed - qualify to buy a CMP Garand (for waaaaay less than the price for which they are selling at this show...).  As bait (works in northeastern NY) we usually set up a table, or part thereof with CMP rifles:
Garand, carbine, '03/'03A3 Springfield, P1917 US Enfield, Daisy 853 air rifle (currently being sold by CMP for $100:  that's ONE HUNDRED dollars for reconditioned rifles), and Bushmaster CMP AR15 rifle . 

Said display draws folks to our tables, if only to ask :"how much do you want for..."or "are these for sale?"
No...but I can tell you how to qualify to buy at least the Garand (insert Patton quote here) from the same organization from which these US rifles came...to own history, one has to learn it - and earn it...

Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846