News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ruger auto bolt release

Started by mac66, October 14, 2011, 09:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac66

One thing that makes me nuts at shoots is seeing people struggling with the bolt release that comes on the Ruger 10/22.  There is a cheap and easy fix to make the bolt go forward by simply retracting it without having to manipulate the little lever. It does require the little tab on the bolt release to be ground off.  I have done this on 4 of my 10/22s with no problems.

However, I realize that some people feel uncomfortable in taking their 10/22 apart and grinding on it. Therefore, I have obtained a number of professionally modified bolt releases and will install them for anyone who wants one for just the cost of part. 

This applies to shooters and instructors alike.  Just PM me and we will make arrangements before, during or after the next Appleseed shoot that I am going to (probably Lapeer in December)
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

ITB

Mac, that's very kind of you to make that offer.

I know on my 10/22's, it's one of the first mods I do.  I replace mine, so I'll dig up some of the stock bolt releases to donate to the cause.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

yellowhousejake

I have found the bolt release to be easy to use, once taught properly. The manual description is worthless, you cannot learn to do it using Ruger's directions. But when shown how, I have had children lock and unlock the bolt easily with one hand.

Keep in mind that the auto bolt release can cause more problems. I have seen several people struggle if they pull the flag back and trip the release, then flag removal requires two hands. If they are already slung up, it really frustrates them. Same for bolts closing while manipulating the rifle, when dropping to prone if they let the rifle butt hit the ground, etc. It also means your Ruger no longer has a bolt lock, it now has a bolt hold open.

Not trying to talk anyone out of the mod, just sayin...  ;)

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Texas Rifleman

I have seen far more people struggle with the crappy factory bolt release than I have ever seen struggle with the $15 mod part.
I highly recommend to eveyone to add the $15 part.
It is the only way to go.
My .02
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

Kosciusko

plus one to what Texas Rifleman said

oladcock

Yep, I've lost count of the number I've modified. IMO, the problems with coodination of the modified is far less than that of the un-modified. It's just so counter intuitive.....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Superheat

Totally agree Mac,  If we can reduce one drop of information coming out of the firehose and still accomplish our goal we have improved.   As a result our students will benefit.

George Hacker

Is this the do-it-yourself modification that does the trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6cSmF1eIXY

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Mark Davis

The stock bolt release is very easy to operate once demonstrated.
I will not accept the liability for loaning a rifle out with the bolt lock compromised.

At appleseed we cannot use chamber flags that have been altered.
Would not an auto release, never offered by the manufacturer fall into the same lawsuit risk?

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Mark Davis on October 14, 2011, 09:00:31 PM
The stock bolt release is very easy to operate once demonstrated.
I will not accept the liability for loaning a rifle out with the bolt lock compromised.

At appleseed we cannot use chamber flags that have been altered.
Would not an auto release, never offered by the manufacturer fall into the same lawsuit risk?

The short answer is yes. When it comes to guns anything is fair game in a lawsuit !

Recall the Bush admin had to pass legislation protecting the gun industry against suits brought by cities for acts committed by the thugs, that inhabit same.

I have modified mine and now feel it was a mistake.

The bolt closes too easily, just a tap and it slams closed .

Although the risk is small , why risk anything when it is easy to teach the factory release

Respectfully
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Texas Rifleman

Ok so per your argument. We need to stick with stock everything 10/22 ?
No tech sights, no Hogue stocks....
I don't think so.
You guys are losing it :D
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

mac66

Do any of you have an LTR?

How many of you have aftermarket slings, stocks, sling swivels, barrels, extractors, bolt handles,  triggers, scopes, or sights on your 10/22? None of those things came on your rifle. Each one of those things changes the handling characteristics of the factory rifle and could potentially lead to litigation.

In reality, we really shouldn't even be teaching this shooting stuff to others because it opens us all up to increased liability.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

ITB

Look, the bottom line is that you're exposing yourself to potential liability whether you loan out a dead-stock fresh-from-the-box 10/22 you just bought yesterday, or an $800 pimped-out 10/22 that some people are foolish enough to build.... #)   **)

Mac, as always, we appreciate your efforts.

Thread closed.

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23