News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RED BLUFF, CA--AAR OCTOBER 8-9, 2011

Started by NorCal22Gal, October 11, 2011, 03:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

AAR- RED BLUFF, CA OCT 8-9, 2011

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

Weather....Saturday 82 with a light breeze
                  Sunday 78 with a light breeze
In other words....perfect!

Shoot Boss: NorCal22Gal  (Laurie)
IIT's:  eaglescouter, polygunner, Applesauce4360, jmirel2, ordvice, mikeee.

Thank you to Tehama Shooters for hosting us on their range.

20 Americans came out on Saturday to learn marksmanship skills and to learn about their Heritage.  We got started with eaglescouter give a bit of background history, a pre strike if you will, setting the stage for the lunch time strikes.  Safety briefing, then we headed down to the line to start the Red Coats.

After the Red Coats, we turned on the fire hose of instruction...the shooters were soaking up the information and putting it to good use. Group sizes began to shrink.

We broke for lunch and Applesauce and I told the 3 strikes.  Reminding people of the choices they had then and the choices we have today. 

After lunch it was back to the fire hose, then the first AQT.  Soon we had our first Riflemen...Jason & his dad Bryan posted the first ones...next AQT Chet & Justin made the score...Justin followed it up with a second & higher scoring AQT.  There were a few more knocking on the door...

Jason's score was a 210 and following proper Appleseed tradition was anointed with the waters of the North Bridge (a bottle of water from the ice chest gave the appropriate April chilliness ). 

Jason's 9 year old little brother Andrew was keeping up with his big brothers and I can't wait to see him get rifleman at his next Appleseed.  Aaron, your brother & dad have set the bar....keep up the good work.

We ended Saturday with awarding 4 Riflemen their patches and some very deserving youth received the Luther Blanchard patch. 

Could it get any better that day?  Well.....after the shooters leave the instructors have a chance to bring out their rifles and shoot some.  The Smith family stayed after for a bit talking to some of the instructors...Eaglescouter brought out his Garand and after making sure everyone had eyes and ears on, shot a few rounds. He soon had a few people standing around as did the other instructors.  The best part was watching 9 yr old Andrew shoot the garand.....assisted by eaglescouter (I think the rifle was almost as tall as he was...)  and the HUGE GRIN afterward!!  Then of course his 12 yr old sister Sarah had to try it too.  Mom Tammy and older sister Christine even shot a couple rounds...all were smiling after. 

Sunday morning we started with a review of the safety rules, then we hit the ground running. Reviews of what was taught Saturday, then the first AQT was posted, and we started the AQT grind.  Got 2 AQT's before lunch.  No new Riflemen but my friend Shauna posted a very nice 205.  Shauna cleared the red coat in the morning and Justin cleared it in the evening.

Break for lunch and shared the DOM's and Dames, and just some nice conversation while polygunner & jmirel2 finished setting up the KD targets. 

After lunch it was back to the line. We posted a couple targets at the 100 yard line for those of the .22's who wanted to shoot a bit there. The KD shooters got sighted in at all distances.  Posted AQT's again, got the grind going again...Lots of folks knocking at the door.  I'm sure I'll be handing Rifleman patches to Shauna and Brian and a couple others at their next Appleseed. 

Ended the day with  thanks to the shooters and my instructors. 

I want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, to those who were able to stay and help us tear down and put the range back the way it was.  Thanks also to my instructors you made my job super easy!!

Bryan, Chet and Justin...forgive me but the paper I wrote your scores on has walked away...would you please post them?

Thanks.

NorCal22Gal
Laurie

NorCal22Gal

Good Grief! :-[  I almost forgot...Justin i'm sorry....Justin was one point away from a KD Rifleman score...199....on Sunday. 

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

NorCal22Gal

I really want to give a special thanks to ORDVICE. He wasn't able to come out on Saturday or Sunday morning, but he came out Friday afternoon and helped us set up. Then came out Sunday afternoon to help instruct and help tear down.  The help was greatly appreciated!   ^:)^ O0