News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gardnerville, NV - Oct. 1-2, 2011

Started by Chris_H, October 03, 2011, 02:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_H

I really love the fact that the Gardnerville, NV DAR is my home range. My only disappointment is the limited amount of time I have had to be able to spend there this year!

I want to thank both Mr & Mrs Featherblue for your generosity & hospitality in providing us with such a great place to shoot!! :thumbsup:

Some mistakes made this shoot a "short notice" one, it only got on the schedule about 6 weeks ago, but we still had 7 preregistered shooters, who were joined by 7 others on Saturday.

While Saturday morning began a bit on the brisk side, it warmed up nicely & settled in the mid- to upper 70's with some wind that persisted most of the weekend, but was not particularly troublesome or difficult to deal with.

The Saturday flash flood of instruction was taken quite well throughout the day.

After the mornings Redcoat targets, we were able to steadily march through the points of instruction.

We broke for lunch & shared the stories of the 3 strikes of April 19, 1775, and when we returned to the line, moved on to shooting at CAQT/Greencoats and finally the AQT.

By the end of the day, Redcoat targets were showing much improvement! Good job to all!

Several of the shooters were Saturday only, but 5 returned on Sunday, and were joined in shooting by featherblue who had been unable to join in on Saturday.

Mrs Featherblue & AmericanAmazon immediately issued a challenge to everyone by clearing the Sunday morning Redcoats!

We were able to move quite quickly through the day, getting in two AQT's before lunch and stories of some more of the heroes of April 19.

After lunch, we decided to perform a Rapid Fire AQT to emphasize the need for shooting in Riflemans Cadence. None of the shooters had seen this before and once they did, they embraced it enthusiastically. We repeated it several times throughout the day, and ended with doing some shooting at 4MOA squares & KD targets at distance.

While we had no new riflemen, we had two returning Riflemen, Eric & Mrs Featherblue, re-qualify this weekend, & battleborn is "knocking on the door" as the saying goes. Although given how close to 210 he was shooting, "pounding on the door" might be a better description!

I'm also happy to welcome Mrs Featherblue as a new IIT! She should be getting registered on the forum soon!

All told, this was a great weekend, & as always, I am humbled by the attitudes, help and enthusiasm of both shooters & fellow instructors!

Thanks all! I know there are pics to be posted soon! Everyone please feel free to jump in and share your experiences & thoughts!

Chris

Nero

After encountering rough weather at the last shoot at the Gardnerville DAR (we still tell stories about emptying hailstones out of actions while clearing the line), we looked forward to a return visit in nicer conditions.  Our hopes were fulfilled, as 14 Americans got off the couch to join our intrepid instructor corps for a beautiful day of marksmanship and heritage. 

Some pix from day 1:

Dawn over the Gardnerville DAR

It promised to be a Classic day

The morning line opens up on the Redcoats

Nero and Biscuit present sight alignment and picture...

...to attentive shooters

Chris_H does IMC - aka 'math in public'   ;D

LayloPro delivers a Strike - and what a stage!

The (invisible) floggings  ~~:) will continue until marksmanship improves!   **)

Standing was challenging in the afternoon winds

It's AQT time!

Biscuit and Chris_H keep things moving

Day 2 to follow!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

A bit of eye candy to start day two

A smaller but determined line returned for the Grind, complete with Rapid Fire AQTs and some KD shooting

Marshall (battleborn) is only allowed to shoot RFAQTs from now on...

Eric was putting the hurt on the targets all weekend long, and turned in the best score of the shoot

Our host, featherblue, got to warm up his AK.  His empties were catching serious air, apparently they found a couple over in Smith Valley.   **)

American Amazon called the line for a while

So even the 'hats' could get some trigger time

Sunset, and a final bull session debriefing

The full album is at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114208333789247233986/Gardnerville1011#
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

DesertDog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.