News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

../\.. Lake George, NY Sept 24/25, 2011

Started by R1SGx2, September 26, 2011, 08:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R1SGx2

What a weekend in Lake George NY,
There were shooters all the way from Orange and Westchester Counties.

Watch MacKenzie and Riley shooting was great, A/DOM and Mad Mark enjoyed working with them. MacKenzies high score of 208 and Riley's 108, both riflemen in the making.

We had six riflemen, Don, shooting riflemen on first AQT then Riflemen on everyone after all the way to 100 yards. Nice job. Also shooting riflemen were Annie, Doug, Marty, Ken and our return Alan who took an Orange Hat.

Doc, he came up with a new dance of hot brass buggy. Several marks to show all of his activities this weekend. Doc, nice muzzle control. Thank you.

The Mosquitoes were out in full force Saturday, I think a few of them also scored riflemen, the scent of bug stray was in the air, Sunday we had Candles out to ward them off, and it worked.

Michael a first time Appleseeder increased his scores all along the way. Won't be ling before he to makes the mark.

Was good to see Smurf return here from Saratoga; Fired Saturday all day long with what looked like a flame thrower but in fact was a .308.

The instructors worked hard with the shooters and the shooter responded; 50 percent scoring Riflemen. Nice work.

Thank you all for all you do.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

The Mrs.

A GREAT Weekend to be an American.  11 brand new Appleseeders who know very well what they are about!!  It is always and honor and humbling to help these great people bloosom and bloom.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Another D.O.M.

I started this several hours ago.  Spent considerable time crafting my post, inserting pictures, captioning the pictures - you know the drill.  I hit the Preview button and after some time the preview came up with only half the pictures.  So I hit the Refresh button and BOOM!  All my stuff had disappeared.  More ticks off my life clock with nothing to show for them.

I hate that.  I hate it when that happens!

So I will post pictures now - one at a time - and work on the written part later.

I'd like to extend a huge and heartfelt Thank You! to Krisker, who made the drive to the range on Sunday just to take pictures (and chauffeur my tired butt around)..

R1sgx2 thought there might be mosquitoes on Sunday.

LittleMo arrives on the scene, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

MPH_VT takes his next step along The Appleseed Trail.

Mike and Mark review the Four Safety Rules...

...and Six Steps.

The SB tells the tale of Bloody British Butchery.

Introducing The Seventh Step to the group.

Posting the Sunday AM Redcoats.

The SB gives his approval.

Finally we get to shoot...errr...instruct.

The Sunday line from the Boomer side...

...and from the Designated Sharpshooter side.

Mackenzie and Riley, our Designated Sharpshooters, receive a final mission briefing.

Two Young Patriots who know very well what they are about.

Let's see how well we did.

This just in from Boomer Division:  "It's not an Appleseed if your rifle doesn't make a LOT of noise!"

DS-1 fires Stage I with the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22.

And just so I don't forget to mention this, our DS-1, Mackenzie, shot a high AQT score of 205!

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

R1SGx2

sgtrock

I see Alan with a hat in his hand, I have witnessed the dedication of this man over numerous Appleseed events, and an RBC as well, he has been to well over a dozen events (paid mind you), shooting rifleman scores until they come out of his ears, now he has decided to take on the huge responsibility of teaching, mentoring, and being a person of knowing what he is about, He has the quality of knowing when he is ready to do something and being honest with himself, that is a trait that is going to be his foundation of becoming a very good instructor,,,,

Congratulations my friend

sgtrock

R1SGx2

Sgt Rock, it took some pulling and pushing for Alan - (MPH_VT) to take the hat, he will be sporting it this weekend in Proctor Vermont. Looking forward to seeing him there, all are welcome. Alan has a lot of knowledge to share.

Forgot to mention in original post that A/DOM was promoted to Red Hat Instructor.

Thanx to all for all you do ../\..

mark

LittleMo

This was a great event at a wonderful location! The students came from near and far - literally! Most were first time Appleseed students with a willingness to learn both marksmanship and the history of April 19 1775. The questions asked after the 3rd Strike was told showed the interest they had. Kitty was ecstatic with her 203 (if I remember her score correctly), as were the other students that did very well!  Some recognized the Rifleman Opportunity Card (R.O.C.) is a fantastic deal and got it! O0

Thank you Dunham's Bay, and a huge thank you to the students! :bow:

Gary

p.s. pictures to follow!
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Mph_VT

This was an absolutely magnificent day for an Appleseed.  Perfect NY Fall weather and an exceptional group of shooters and instructors.

It's seems for me this shoot was about the hat. I had told R1sgx2 that I would do so in September and he made sure it happened right at the top. After an epiphany about an ammo upgrade this shoot for me was the best I've ever done. Not only did I shoot my personal best score, but was shooting more consistently than I ever have. Sgt Rock as I took that hat in the morning I was somewhat apprehensive if I really was ready to, by the end of the day I really felt that I had finally come home.

Actually taking the hat was inevitable for me ever since I became involved with this program, but I have had to deal with an overwhelming personal project before I felt I would have sufficient time to dedicate to Appleseed.

I have always been awed by how much the instructors have had to put into this project and how well they do  it.  The level of dedication necessary to present these what I see as incredibly complex, disciplined and interesting  events is astounding. I've always been impressed by the intensity, efficiency and the effectiveness of this program.  No better anywhere. 

I only hope coming into this project as an instructor I can find the same earnest passion, energy and acuity that has been shown to me by all the instructors over the past year.

It was a fine day. Now on with it.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.

Learned Hand

Sir, the gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.             

Ethan Allen

Spartan

Congrats Alan!!!!
Though,,,,i wooda thought, that a guy that strapped weapons onto fast movers,,, would be all into ammo upgrades:))  Now you can get a scope since you did it with iron sights.  Hooah.
"With your shield or on it"

95THNY

To the Lake George Appleseed Staff,

I just wanted to thank all of the great instructors that helped my family and I this past weekend. Especially for the extra attention and patience that was shown to my daughters. MacKenzie and Riley are generally well behaved kids, but I was doubtful that they would be able to stay focused the whole weekend. I was pleasantly surprised about how much they enjoyed themselves and were actively engaged in the program for the full two days.  They are very eager to bring their best AQT targets to air rifle league on Monday to show the coach.

My wife (Kitty) was also much more into the whole thing than I expected. All of us shoot together quite a bit, but none of them have done this type of shooting before. When I saw my daughters hurrying to the bench to reload mags after each string I knew they were hooked. MacKenzie is still brooding over her "close but no cigar" AQT score of 205. When she realized she shot a higher score than her mother it soothed her ego a bit.

For assisting them I would like to thank Mad Mark, ADOM, and the shoot boss R1sgx2 for taking all the extra time and effort, supplying equipment, ammo, and letting me fix Kitty's rifle when it puked an extractor. I don't mean to exclude anyone, as I saw all the instructors doing this with other shooters. I would bet that I saw each member of the crew going to their cars multiple times to pull out their own guns and equipment to lend to someone. I am grateful for the effort that all you volunteers put out for your program.

I would like to ask the name of the instructor that was doing RSO on the right side of the line down on my end (where the noisy ones were) on Sunday. I don't consider myself to be anywhere of an expert shooter, but I do have experience, compete some, but have never had any formal training. The RSO orange hat on my end gave me just a few simple tweaks throughout the day and he took me from a 213 on my first to 240 for my best for the day. Once he had me fix those things, he stayed on me about it until I had it. I thanked him several times, but I hate to say I don't even know his name. I haven't had that much fun burning up 400 rounds in one day in a very long time! Doing the KD at 100 and cleaning the last redcoat was icing on the cake.

I have been trying to bring myself and family to one of these for about two years now, and work schedule and other things always got in the way. I am glad we made it finally, and are looking forward to the 2012 schedule. I hope to see you the next time we make it to a NY appleseed.

Best regards,

Don

DWillis

Looks like it was a good time.  I'm hoping to make the next visit there, and hopefully make rifleman in the cold.  I will be armed with some new assists on my 10/22 as well.  :)

R1SGx2

95THNY,
Working your end was Greg (GREGCH44), he is a match shooter in a few leagues. has a lot to share and does it with a smile. His motto is GO BIG OR GO HOME.
Appleseed is family friendly. Glad all had a nice time.

DWillis, hope you put some Tech Sights on that puppy. We will be in Lake George and Hudson Falls soon, hope to see you there.

Lake George / Dunhams Bay is a very nice range and welcomes Appleseed there. Thank you to all the Members of Dunhams Bay and Directors.

95THNY

Thanks R1sgx2,

I've worked with some very good shooters in  the past, including some members of the NY State team that goes to Camp Perry. They have helped me a great deal in the past and got me where I am now. But, I've never seen as rapid improvement in my own shooting as with the skills and drill work we did at this event. Greg only gave me two or three small things to change, and it showed up immediately on the paper, and continued to shrink my groups all day.

I knew I would learn a few things from all of you, but didn't expect it to be as noticeable to myself, or as quickly.   I could go on for awhile here, but if I had realized the high level of skill and talent that is available to students of your program sooner, this certainly would not have been my first Appleseed. I surely won't be my last. Once again, thank you all for what you do, we need it.

Best regards,

Don
95thny

Gregch44

Hey all,
   It was indeed a great Appleseed, again. I just love these events, the shooters are why we dedicate ourselves to do this. Thanks for the kind words 95THNY, but you did most of the work yourself. It was a pleasure to "tweak" you a bit. You did everything I pointed out to you, what a pleasure to work with you. It would be hard to make a seasoned shooter believe how quickly, and right before their very eyes, the improvements come about. It is one of those things that you have to see to believe. Appleseed is a GREAT program to say the least. I'm glad that you and your family had such a good time.
  Great working with everybody again. Congratulations on taking an orange hat Alan, you will find that it is very rewarding working an Appleseed...almost as good as shooting. Congratulations ADOM on your red hat promotion. You deserve it for sure.
  What a great group of shooters. Not only did we have  50% Riflemen scores, but they were backed up big time as well.
Go big or stay home!

LittleMo

Lake George AS Sept 24-25 2011

LittleMo

LittleMo

Another D.O.M.

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore