News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Watervliet shoot (8/1-2) organization

Started by TreadCarefully, September 21, 2011, 11:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreadCarefully

All,

Let's use this thread to organize the shoot.

The club house can be left open for us but, I have a farm about 5 miles from the range. All instructors are invited to stay over Saturday night. 4 beds available or you can camp out somewhere. We can grill out Saturday, use the pool and hammock as necessary. the amenities aren't 5 star but they will do.

SuperHeat will be doing the first strike. Let me know here what history/instruction you would like to do or need some work on, or about anything else related to the shoot. Looking forward to seeing all of you again!

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

AuntieBellum

I'm content with tossing my tent down wherever. Thanks for the space to do so.

As far as the shoot itself, I'm happy to do whatever is needed. Can't wait to work with all you Michigan folk!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Swamp Thing

Hey all,

I spoke with Suoerheat today and plan to do 2nd strike. I have a spare 10/22 to bring as a loaner rifle if needed. Actually 2 if I can find the time to get it to the range for a quick zeroing. I have boxes of tools and miscellaneous stuff I always travel with, if there's anything specific you need, just ask, I probably have it.

A bed, a farm, and a grill....well above average! O0

Looking forward to meeting and working with some more new faces. Those coming up from Indiana, you'll know you've crossed the state line when you hit the potholes.  ;)

ST

Bill 3

As long as the potholes are not big enough to swallow the truck, I'm good!  BTW - intending to shoot but will do whatever is required of me and help where needed.   That said, I need to shoot...
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Bill Winkle

I would be happy to take on third strike.

Bringing a rifle, tool bag, air mattress and a tent to take you up on your accomodations however they pan out.

Questions: Friday night (late) arrival ok? This is on the other side of the state for some and what time for instructors meeting Sat am?
....Bill Winkle....

Superheat

Mike,
Will you need any materials to build target backers?
Yes I will take first strike unless some else wants it.
Are we running two lines?  When I have done that in the past, we had two separate AS's running and only came together for History, Benidiction and lunch.  Do you have any thoughts on this?  With Auntiebellum there (shes a SB) we should be good.  I have a portable canopy available if needed. 
My old blue pickup will be heading out friday after work for the TreadCarefully farm.  ;D I hope to have a passenger or two. 
Please p.m. address for the farm or gps coordinates.
Superheat.

AuntieBellum

Quote from: Superheat on September 22, 2011, 09:25:04 AM
Are we running two lines?  When I have done that in the past, we had two separate AS's running and only came together for History, Benidiction and lunch.  Do you have any thoughts on this?  With Auntiebellum there (shes a SB) all these red hats running around just waiting to be shoot bosses we should be good.

FIFY   O0

Swamp Thing

Hey all,

I plan on doing some business in the Niles and Kalamazoo area on Thursday and Friday and may have a hotel for Friday night. If so, I could squeeze a Friday night traveller in at no charge. I'll know more about that after this weekend.

However, if that plan doesn't materialize, can you please copy me on the PM containing directions to the farm.

Count me in to be available for range set up on late Friday afternoon. If needed.

ST

Superheat

Quote from: AuntieBellum on September 22, 2011, 10:10:27 AM
Quote from: Superheat on September 22, 2011, 09:25:04 AM
Are we running two lines?  When I have done that in the past, we had two separate AS's running and only came together for History, Benidiction and lunch.  Do you have any thoughts on this?  With Auntiebellum there (shes a SB) all these red hats running around just waiting to be shoot bosses we should be good.

FIFY   O0

Wow, that sounds like someone I know.   Could I interest you in subbing for my SC on occasion?  ;D 

TreadCarefully

We will be running two lines. Let's make the decision to run them independently or not when we get there. There are a couple of factors to consider that we should discuss together. Regardless, we will come together to do history.

I have to be in Kalamazoo until late Friday evening and was planning on heading to the range from here (Kzoo) on Saturday morning. But, you are all welcome to make yourselves at home at the farm on Friday. I will PM SuperHeat and BillWinkle with directions and access information.

I'll check to see if any help is needed with range prep on Friday.

First strike: SuperHeat
Second strike: SwampThing
Third strike: Bill Winkle

AuntieBellum can you do the 'ladies' stories (Mrs Davis, Mother Batherick etc.)

DOM?

Also, there is a 400yd range, so if you have some KD targets please bring 'em.

AuntieBellum

I'm sure I can come up with something.  I've never done Hannah Davis and Mother Batherick outside of the context of 2nd strike or DOM, but I've done others like the women of Pepperell and Meliscent Barrett.  I'm always up for a challenge.   ;)  I've got two books full of women in the revolution around here somewhere...so be careful what you ask for.   ;D

Bill 3

KD Targets - Check and yes, they are the correct ones....
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

TreadCarefully

Quote from: Swamp Thing on September 22, 2011, 10:19:15 AM

Count me in to be available for range set up on late Friday afternoon. If needed.

ST

I may have to take you up on this. The range contact, Kevin Schneider, has never attended an AS and is not sure about the line set up. Can you hook up with him and organize that? He knows he needs enough backers for both lines and the set up should be pretty straight forward. Let me know a good email and I will introduce you.

Swamp Thing

Quote from: TreadCarefully on September 22, 2011, 03:25:55 PM
Quote from: Swamp Thing on September 22, 2011, 10:19:15 AM

ST

PM sent

ST

I may have to take you up on this. The range contact, Kevin Schneider, has never attended an AS and is not sure about the line set up. Can you hook up with him and organize that? He knows he needs enough backers for both lines and the set up should be pretty straight forward. Let me know a good email and I will introduce you.

mac66

Howdy all,

Just thought I would mention that I have been conversing with a first timer on rimfirecentral who is going to be at Watervliet with his 14 year old son. Both shooting 10/22s with Tech Sights. They are very excited about going. He also said he knows at least two guys who are bringing AR15s.

Should be a fun shoot.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

TreadCarefully

Sounds great. I am getting some flyers out to the local ranges/clubs/stores. Hopefully we can fill the lines.

Directions to TC's farm:

I94 to Exit 39 (Coloma). Head south until road end. Turn left, then immediate right on to Biastock Road. 1 mile down on right, white farm house behind a row of arbor vitae, just before Pine Road (550 Biastock).

Bill3 and Superheat will be able to get into house. So, if anyone gets there before they do, make yourselves at home to the extent you can. I can't be there Friday, but you are welcome to sleep inside (4 beds and sofa sleeper) or outside. I will make sure the sprinklers get turned off so you don't get deluged in the middle of the night.

Make sure you have your own provisions Friday and we will  pick up cook out grub Saturday night. It will be the first day of archery season so if you want to try your luck....

TreadCarefully

All - I have not received a shoot box so we should work under the assumption that one will not arrive in time. Please bring what supplies you have as I am completely out (except for shirts - have tons).

Everything else seems to be coming along nicely, even looks like the rain will end by Saturday.

ITB

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

TreadCarefully

Alright, this is it. Any final preps?

Let's plan on meeting at the range at 7:30 tomorrow. It should just be getting light. First person there - just get the cars parked and keep the rifles in them. With the amount of staff we have check-in and set up should be a breeze.

Looks like SuperHeat will be getting to my place around 9pm, perhaps later. If you want to pitch a tent pick any place in the back yard, lots of flat space under trees or not. If it's raining, feel free to open the barn and clear out some space in there. There is a fire pit in the barn as well and lots of wood/kindling around.

I will be stopping by the farm at 7am or so to get my gear.

We can figure everything else out when we get there. Any questions or issues?

Superheat

I am ASSUMING someone has the target line covered?  Posts, backers etc.?  Let me know if you need them. 
Intheburbs dropped off some targets and patches for me to bring.  He is also sending his portable flag pole and the dry erase board.
Anything else?  Just call before 4:30 p.m.
Peter

Swamp Thing

I will be meeting Kevin at the range at 5:00 PM today.

I will have orange ground paint and a 100' tape. The range has 4x8 plywood for backers and the plan is to put cardboard on them. I will also be bringing a bunch of 1/2" staples and a few staple guns.

We should be able to clear whatever needs to be cleared on the range, post cardboard on the plywood, and measure of a firing line and an equipment line.

My only worry is that having cardboard directly on plywood will make it hard for people to fully bury a staple into their targets. Superheat, you may want to bring the posts, wire, and backers with you just in case we need to string a target line on Saturday morning.

Also, with all the campers heading to TC's place and possibly getting cramped up. I have a hotel room booked in Benton Harbor, 12 miles away, with two beds. I could still house an instructor if they would like. No charge of course.

ST

Quote from: Superheat on September 30, 2011, 11:03:07 AM
I am ASSUMING someone has the target line covered?  Posts, backers etc.?  Let me know if you need them. 
Intheburbs dropped off some targets and patches for me to bring.  He is also sending his portable flag pole and the dry erase board.
Anything else?  Just call before 4:30 p.m.
Peter

Bill Winkle

Quote from: TreadCarefully on September 30, 2011, 10:53:14 AM
Alright, this is it. Any final preps?

Let's plan on meeting at the range at 7:30 tomorrow. It should just be getting light. First person there - just get the cars parked and keep the rifles in them. With the amount of staff we have check-in and set up should be a breeze.

Looks like SuperHeat will be getting to my place around 9pm, perhaps later. If you want to pitch a tent pick any place in the back yard, lots of flat space under trees or not. If it's raining, feel free to open the barn and clear out some space in there. There is a fire pit in the barn as well and lots of wood/kindling around.

I will be stopping by the farm at 7am or so to get my gear.

We can figure everything else out when we get there. Any questions or issues?

Something has come up and I will not be able to get there Friday night as originally planned.
Targeting arrival at the range for 7:30 am and staying the night at the farm.
....Bill Winkle....

AuntieBellum

Liability forms? Info packets? Do I need to go ahead and bring some?

ITB

Plenty of liability forms and ~15 packets were included in the stuff I handed off to Superheat.  TC said he needed some extra packets, not the full amount.
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

AuntieBellum

O0

Quote from: intheburbs on September 30, 2011, 01:08:49 PM
Plenty of liability forms and ~15 packets were included in the stuff I handed off to Superheat.  TC said he needed some extra packets, not the full amount.