News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Smyrna Beach, Sept. 17-18, 2011

Started by 9mm4545, September 20, 2011, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

On a September Saturday patriotic Americans came out to develop their marksmanship and learn more about the rich heritage of being a citizen, not a subject. The threat of rain was surely there--and rain it did at times--but the determination and grit of these folks was not to be denied and the shooters showed steady improvement. Shane, a new Applecore volunteer who wants to turn his blue hat to orange, joined us on the line after the initial set-up and check-in procedures were complete. Shane had only just taken up a rifle back in July and by the end of the event had turned in a very credible 197 on the fabled AQT. Douglas, an Orange Hat and gunsmith from Fort McCoy, dropped by with his grandson Sean and brought out a beautiful wood stocked AR-15 to play with. His teenaged grandson showed some real moxie and blasted away with a M1, a rifle almost bigger than the shooter. I have to give him credit for hanging in there and not letting that beast get the better of him. Scott, a veteran of only one previous Appleseed, came with a teachable attitude and much evidence of practice since his first event. Some fine tuning during the weekend was all that was needed to bring him up to Rifleman status with a solid 221 AQT. Congratulations, Scott! As this was not a very big event we gave our two new Orange Hats, Frank and Tom, ample opportunities to get in some trigger time. Tom showed consistency as he shot the score on 4 separate AQT's--there was never any doubt! Tom, I think you are ready to break out a centerfire rifle now. Frank experimented with different rifles including two M1 Carbines, a rifle not usually considered as a target rifle. With some nudging, we convinced Frank to stick to one rifle and learn it well. He did--and his scores improved considerably. There was a moment of brain fatigue, when he forgot to reset his sights after our KD session on Sunday, which knocked him out of a great Rifleman score on the final AQT of the day. We call that Appleseed Mistake Number 3467; a mistake Frank will not make again! Tina, a first time Appleseeder, was a delight to work with as her performance showed considerable improvement during the day. Some practice and persistence and she will be a Rifle(wo)man, sooner rather than later.

On Saturday we were visited by Andrew Gant, a reporter with the Daytona News Journal, who stayed all morning learning what this Appleseed thing is really all about. His article is here: http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/southeast-volusia/2011/09/18/appleseed-project-as-much-about-history-lessons-as-shooting-instructor-says.html I have invited Andrew to come back as a shooter next time and not just observe but participate--and to hear "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say. Hopefully he will want to know what happened after the First Strike and will return. I have also suggested that there might be another story as he could recount his experience from the standpoint of an attendee. It never hurts to ask!

Lastly, this shoot will be memorable for the incredible clouds of swarming "love bugs", Plecia nearctica. These pests occur in massive numbers a couple of times a year in Florida. Unfortunately, Volusia County Gun Club and September 17-18 was a place and time that was the scene of a veritable black snow storm as these critters coated every surface and managed to create a huge nuisance and distraction. I think I ate one with my sandwich at lunch. They taste terrible. Thankfully, they don't bite back!

Thanks to our crew consisting of Rambo Granny, Smoakingun, TomM1Thumb and 50calTank, my job as shoot boss was made considerably easier. I look forward to working with all y'all again soon.

I have a few photos posted here from my iPhone but if anyone else has any photos, please share them. Thanks to Smoak, we have a shot of Rifleman Scott receiving his new patch. (I did some minor editing to make the faces more visible.)
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

9mm4545

I am so embarrassed. In my haste to get the AAR posted I completely forgot to mention one of our shooters who put in a very worthy effort. Teresa, I am sorry that you got left out. The victory will  sweet when the whole family are Riflemen. You and Shane are next so do your dry fire exercises, come out to the range every chance you get, and a proper purple patch will be yours.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837