News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Piru, CA - Sept 10-11, 2011

Started by Mr Pete, September 15, 2011, 02:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Hey All,

A bit late but at Johnny wanted to post about the event and didn't see it up here!

We couldn't have asked for better weather up this past weekend.  I was expecting the "Sun Hammer" (tm) to pound us down with 114 degree heat and flies.  It started off overcast, we got a few sprinkles around lunch and then cleared up to be a nice 80'ish day.  Sunday was about the same minus sprinkles.  We had 12 shooters to the line on Saturday and only 4 on Sunday...I guess they didn't think the nice weather would hold.

Dano has the stats so I'm not going to comment on the Redcoats.

Back to the line this weekend were Donna and Argus as well as GoneJohnny.  Time and injuries are Donna's personal Redcoats...she does a better stage 4 sitting than most people can do prone.  Her Ruger boltie slows her down on stage 2 and 3 though.  Argus was a trooper using every rifle available to him, bolt, semi, scope, iron-sights...he is a monster.  I have no doubt that he will be a future Rifleman once he has a proper rifle for standing!

Usually people have a bit of a dip once they hit their score...that could not be said for GoneJohnny who busted out sever 220+ scores with his 10/22 then he went to do an RM score with his Porsche like Scout rifle.  I thank him for letting me try it but I don't think my wife will...

Mo was proving he could shoot with any rifle as he worked out the bugs with his new 795.  He is great with that CZ and stock sights...look out now.  John's first time out and he showed all kinds of improvement though on Sunday fatigue set in.  Persistence John...gains no matter how small accumulate over time.  Dennis and Theresa did a fine job.  Theresa might gain from going to a LadySeed (all women instructors and shooters).  That isn't a dig on anything it is just that I can't advance any advice from a Female perspective...as my wife so aptly points out.  I hope that my daughter will have as much fun as Ken and Breanne did.  Breanne can shoot!  I hope they can make it back for more than just the Saturday.

Afterhours it was a pleasant treat to hang out with Parrish who wanted to just ring some steel.

I'm sure others will chime in but I went to this event to relax before Corona and that was the greatest idea ever!  Meeting good people does wonders for the soul.

Thanks everyone for a safe and fun weekend.  My thanks to Scott1600 and Dano who graciously let me work the shoot.  Dano, the host with the most!

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mo79

Pete, Dano, and Scott: I can't thank you enough for your teaching. It's incredible how you keep emphasizing fundamentals over and over and you never give up. And for those who know the fundamentals, there are still plenty of little details to pick up from you. This was my second Appleseed, and I'm definitely attending many more, even if I shoot Rifleman score one day.
It was a fun and safe weekend indeed, although some shooters tried to kill us all by not making their rifles safe :) (I was guilty once myself), and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Mr Pete

Mo,

It was definitely my pleasure and always good to see you (just like when you swung by to pick up your ROC).  Thanks for the kind words...the easiest way to see us again is to take up that Orange Hat when you hit your score.  Notice I said, "when", because there isn't a doubt in my mind.  GoneJohnny even leaned over to me when we were down range and said, "Mo can really shoot".

Hopefully we'll find a time and a place to stretch your legs by shooting out to 400 yards some day.  There are always more challenges for a Rifleman.

Let me know when you sign up for a shoot and I'll bring my Garand for you to try!

-Pete
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mo79

Quote from: Mr Pete on September 15, 2011, 09:55:12 PM
Mo,

It was definitely my pleasure and always good to see you (just like when you swung by to pick up your ROC).  Thanks for the kind words...the easiest way to see us again is to take up that Orange Hat when you hit your score.  Notice I said, "when", because there isn't a doubt in my mind.  GoneJohnny even leaned over to me when we were down range and said, "Mo can really shoot".

Hopefully we'll find a time and a place to stretch your legs by shooting out to 400 yards some day.  There are always more challenges for a Rifleman.

Let me know when you sign up for a shoot and I'll bring my Garand for you to try!

-Pete

Likewise Pete, always a pleasure to see you and learn from you. It's like you're reading my mind, I really want an orange hat so I can spread the knowledge (and shoot more  ;D), I'd be honored. I even got an RWVA membership a month ago just for that purpose. Thanks for having confidence in me, yes hopefully I'll hit Rifleman score soon, since I'm learning from some awesome instructors.
I'll let you know when my next Appleseed will be. I wanted to attend the Corona 210, but, I think I should figure out what Ammo my rifle likes first, so this weekend I'll be experimenting with Ammo, and of course applying what I learned at Appleseed.
I'll see you soon.

Scott1600

Mo,
I have no doubt that your perseverance (sp) will pay off!  Was a really great weekend, top notch! 
Agree with MrPete, after taking GoneJohnny's rifle for a quick test drive, I too, am going to have to put my "explain why I need another rifle " hat on.  ++) (I seem to wear that hat a lot...)
Anyways, another great shoot, fine Americans up and out for the weekend getting some heritage and marksmanship.  Hope to see you all again soon!
-Scott
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

gonejohnny

A great thanks to all the Appleseeders that came out this last weekend. Absolutely the best time you can have (legally) with your clothes on!

Appleseed represents a few different areas of personal satisfaction to me. These are most on my mind at the moment:
• There is a huge sense of self-efficacy and awareness that comes from realizing that targets don't lie.
• Being humbled by recognizing that shot-placement has so much more to do with mind, body and soul that it does your "gear".
• Watching hardy people nurture their character, building out of hunger and determination - on the way to their patch.
• Realizing that patch is just one milestone on a greater journey.

As far as ya'll getting your drool on my Scout... "There are many like it, but this one is mine..."  ++) All kidding aside - I'm always glad to share!. Keeping that "bubble" with a shortened barrel, bolty .308 in a timed stage is a real mind-bender. Thank you guys for believing in me! Tell YOUR wives to give MY wife a call and I'll see what we can do on the whole diplomatic front. (hint: the "what else am I supposed to spend our money on?" argument is NOT the way to go about this...)

and then there's this:

Seriously guys... I cannot thank you enough for showing me this path to a great opportunity. I'm sure it's been said many times before, but this hat (and what it represents) really means a great deal to me. My brand new bright orange shiny bucket!

- GoneJohnny

George Hacker

Quote from: gonejohnny on September 16, 2011, 02:45:57 PM
Seriously guys... I cannot thank you enough for showing me this path to a great opportunity. I'm sure it's been said many times before, but this hat (and what it represents) really means a great deal to me. My brand new bright orange shiny bucket!
GoneJohnny,

Well done on your improvement and continued rifleman performance.  Thanks for taking the orange hat!   ^:)^  Perhaps our paths will cross on the Appleseed trail sometime in the future.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Mo79

Quote from: Scott1600 on September 16, 2011, 11:38:30 AM
Mo,
I have no doubt that your perseverance (sp) will pay off!  Was a really great weekend, top notch! 
Agree with MrPete, after taking GoneJohnny's rifle for a quick test drive, I too, am going to have to put my "explain why I need another rifle " hat on.  ++) (I seem to wear that hat a lot...)
Anyways, another great shoot, fine Americans up and out for the weekend getting some heritage and marksmanship.  Hope to see you all again soon!
-Scott

Thanks a lot Scott!
I like your choice of the word "need" above  :) I hope it goes well  ;)

Quote from: gonejohnny on September 16, 2011, 02:45:57 PM

I'm sure it's been said many times before, but this hat (and what it represents) really means a great deal to me. My brand new bright orange shiny bucket!

- GoneJohnny

Congratulations GoneJohnny! Let's see you rockin' that orange hat at an Appleseed  O0