News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR, DFW Quail Creek, 9/10-11

Started by starfox, September 14, 2011, 01:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starfox

With some slightly cooler weather, Appleseed returned to Quail Creek!  18 shooters were on the line on Saturday, with 16 returning on Sunday.  We had a full crew of 8 instructors on Saturday which was definitely nice and allowed our Orange Hats the chance to run a line with LSOs. Everyone shot well on Saturday and by the end of the day shot some decent first time scores on the 2 AQTs of the day. 

We started out on Sunday with a moment of silence at the precise moment the South Tower began its collapse in honor of all those affected by 9/11.  During the morning we spent time on some refinement on the time monkey, NPOA, and the seated position.    The AQT grind started after lunch and we managed to bust out 7 AQTs before the afternoon heat started making folks tire out. 

Two Rifleman were made that afternoon; Michael, who shot a 221, and Dave who shot a 210.  Now, normally we would have been throwing Dave in the nearest body of water, but here in Texas, that might be a heckuva drive!   ;D   I think we'll also let Dave shooting the bare minimum pass as he did it with a boltgun!   O0

There were several shooters which were shooting consistent 190s and low 200s all afternoon, including two DIVA ladies who are determined to get that patch!  I am sure they and several of the other shooters will make Rifleman at their next Appleseed.

I would also like to give a special thanks to our Orange Hats.   While some are just starting out on the instructor road, you wouldn't know it to see them work and run a line.  DoubleLL and I appreciate the help as we always seem to have a good turnout at DFW Quail Creek.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Texas Rifleman

210 with a Bolt Gun yeah I'd let him pass.
Dang that's some fine shooting.
I would guess the equivalent of a 240 with a little 10/22 semi-auto.
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

Quinncannon

210 with a bolt rifle, heck yeah! My AQT rifle of choice is a CZ 452 Ultra Lux!
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Texas Rifleman

Yeah John, anyone that can hit 210 on the AQT with a bolt as my vote for shooter of the year ;D
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

POP

Wow, 210 with a BOLT Gun, that's some shootin'

We had a shooter in Bald Knob AR shoot a 210 also with a Magic Ruger 10/22.  I forgot his name but, his initials are Dave something or other  **) **) **)

Sounds like ya'll had a great shoot, too, Andrew.
This should be the last weekend for the HOT weather down in our neck of the woods. 

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

spitstickler

It was a good event. Several familiar faces from previous events along with 1st timers to Appleseed. Gina and Carmele, I know you've both got what it takes. You're soooo close! Keep on, keeping at it! Monika, you are literally one shot away from crossing over. Come on back and get that patch.

Darrin shot the best group for stage 1 I've seen. Not quite a 50, but look at how many are in the v. I told him if he could figure out what he did, bottle it up and sell it, he'd be a rich man.

Here are a few pics.  More on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/appleseedtexas  Come and give us a "like"
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Rockfish Dave

Hi new rifleman Dave here.  Instructor 2 Dave (aka: Gunslinger), gave me the heads up on this thread.

Thanks for all the kind words on the shooting.  Trust me it's the instruction!

Monika was bummed that she missed by 1 point.  She even thought it was miscounted, but nope: 'it is what it is!'  More praise to the professional (and focused) group of instructors that were scoring the targets, in the heat, and got it right the first time.  She'll be back though. 

I really thought she would get the rifleman patch before me though, since she usually inches me out when we do shooting games at the range.  Score one for me  ;)

Thanks again for everyone that contributed to this very memorable weekend (10 year anniversary of 9/11, relating the opening of our fight for Independence, and great instruction!).

Rockfish Dave

Doh, forgot to add what I was running:

CZ 452 Varmint
10 round mags (3)

Buckmark 4.5-16 30mm scope on lowest power setting.

Mountain Shooter Sling from:
Bobby Keigans
www.FreedomGunworks.com

My best advice is make sure the bolt is lubed up well. 

There are also a couple of techniques for running the bolt.  I did variations of these:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j-uf36OuXA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

For the blade lift: I used finger tips to pull back, and then close in one fluid downward motion.  The second is a variation of the bolt grip.  I used the meaty part of my thumb/palm and trigger finger.  This was used when I had to make up for lost time because of NPOA issues that ate up time so I needed a rapid rate of fire.

Probably too much information and in the wrong place, but thought I'd share.

starfox

Quote from: Rockfish Dave on September 15, 2011, 03:04:56 PM
Monika was bummed that she missed by 1 point.  She even thought it was miscounted, but nope: 'it is what it is!'  More praise to the professional (and focused) group of instructors that were scoring the targets, in the heat, and got it right the first time.  She'll be back though. 

I scored that target at least three times trying to find just One More Point.  What really hurt was I was eye-glassing her target when she shot that high 2nd stage round.  I really, really, really wanted to let it go, but, given those standing on the hill at Parker's Revenge, it would have been a dis-service to fudge it.

It was also one of her targets that was the one I called special attention to after she shot stages 2 and 3 with some typical time-monkey like pressures and then rocked and rolled stage 4 shooting it near perfect to still land in the 190s. 

Boltgun or no, Monika is going to blow the heck outta the AQT when she qualifies.   :---
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Rockfish Dave

Many thanks, and Monika (or I) would not want anything that was not earned. 

She was close but no cigar. 

If memory serves; I believe she had 3 of the 8 targets from both days, 200 or higher, but alas under 210. 

Like the Terminator, 'She'll be baaack', and I agree: She will hammer it next time.

Many thanks once again for an excellent event!