News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Edgewood NM Sept 10 & 11

Started by TaosGlock, September 13, 2011, 12:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

What a fantastic group of shooters! 
This was the Bighorn Gun Club's second Appleseed shoot which attracted another great group of Americans.
This group hung tough for 2 long days including the first half day which a constant monsoonal rain/drizzle with its attendant sticky "adobe " mud.

The opening Redcoat shot in the rain as SB extraordinaire,  Dave (NMMI9100) looks on.

Yes it rained....

And rained....

...and rained....

The  mission continues. David and Bob our newest IIT demo slings/prone.

...while WindRider (Alan) and Shooter (Elaine) explain The Six Steps to Firing the Shot.

Americans are not quitters. That was not an option on April 19th, 1775 nor is it an option today.
This group of shooters would make the Founders proud.
The Appleseed Project: Where marksmanship meets history.

The cold, murky day eventually cleared up in typical New Mexico fashion.

Stay tuned, more later.....

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

TaosGlock

This is a beautiful range that typifies North Central NM.

Shooters at the target line diagnosing their targets.
Our newest IIT, Bob watches the line.

Shooters in the seated position.

Amid the flags of our Founders, Shooter (Elaine) gives a stunning account of the events that happened on and near the North Bridge of Concord.
Do you know what caused the British Regulars to quickly retreat back to Boston after a 2 minute encounter at Concord's North Bridge?
Do you know the story of that day, of April 19th, 1775?
Come to an Appleseed and hear the real story.

Shooters in the prone position.

David explains the AQT (Army Qualifying Target to the group). We hammer out "Riflemen" on the anvil of the AQT.

more later....

Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

Learn today, teach tomorrow.
The shooters led the reviews on day 2:

Carmen, left,  assists Marta in loading a real flintlock. 4 shots per minute was what a good Minuteman could get off.
And at the North Bridge of Concord, on April 19th, 1775, Major John Buttrick, yelled to his Minutemen, "Fire!, For God sakes fire! Fire as fast as you can!"

TaosGlock

Learn today, teach tomorrow.
The shooters led the reviews on day 2.
Great job guys!

Carmen, left,  assists Marta in loading a real flintlock. 4 shots per minute was what a good Minuteman could get off.
And at the North Bridge of Concord, on April 19th, 1775, Major John Buttrick, yelled to his Minutemen, "Fire!, For God sakes fire! Fire as fast as you can!"

Kathleen and Bob left, prepare a flintlock, while Paul assists Joshua in the actual firing of an authentic flintlock.

Thanks to Bob, Carmen and Paul for their flintlock demos and their time.
Students realized how important, marksmanship was in the birthing of a new Nation on April, 19th, 1775.
With our modern rifles, the Appleseed Project celebrates the heritage that dawned our Nation.

Young Ethan hung tough and shoots well!

By the end of day 2, we  were wondering when the Rifleman would emerge from this great group of shooters.
A "Rifleman" is one who qualifies with at least 210 points (out of 250) on the AQT.
...when, 1 year old, Ethan proudly announced, "We have a Rifleman!"

Indeed, a woman who very much knows what she is all about!
Known as DiselPwrd on the forum.

Congrats Eve!

And can she shoot!

Final scoring of the Redcoat by NMMI9100 (David)

Thanks to shooters and instructors for making this a fantastic shoot!

duc-dog

Looks like a good crew,  instructors and students alike.  Congratulations Eve on achieving that Riflemans patch.  The only thing that I can see that was overlooked is that pink hat, it should have been orange.  If you show up at Carlsbad next weekend we can rectify that oversight. 
        Again congratulations,
               Milt and Margie
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

DieslPwrd

Thanks to Dan, Bob, Alan, Elaine and David for an awesome day.  Thanks to ALL you patient instructors (Carlsbad, Las Cruces, Roswell) for helping me get that patch.  My biggest motivation for Rifleman was knowing I'd probably get shot as a cook anyway....

The chance to shoot an M1 was FUN.  David, thanks.

Hey Duc-Dog and Margie, thanks, I have a q. into Jimi about the timing on that. 
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman

DieslPwrd

Taos Glock said: We hammer out "Riflemen" on the anvil of the AQT.

Now that is a masterful metaphor.  The writer in me goes like:  :bow:
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman

TaosGlock

Quote from: DieslPwrd on September 13, 2011, 10:08:08 PM
Taos Glock said: We hammer out "Riflemen" on the anvil of the AQT.

Now that is a masterful metaphor.  The writer in me goes like:  :bow:

That has been an Appleseed favorite around here for a long time.  I do not know who said it...but it rings true every time.

Shooter

I was so impressed by the shooters on Saturday - slogging through the rain in the morning and pushing lead down range until 6 Saturday evening.  I thoroughly enjoyed working with and meeting every one of you!

Eve - you are a terrifice lady and a true inspiration... CONGRATULATIONS! ^:)^

I truly hope I get to see all of you again on the Appleseed trail.

Shooter
Elaine

nmmi9100

Thanks for the AAR fill in for me, TaosGlock.  Flying out to Denver a couple hours after the shoot really dampened my style.

I'll get to work on the paperwork, IAAR, and filling this one in a litter further when I get back from Raton!

-David
Edgewood, NM

Strawberry Roan

Congratulations, Eve!  My favorite quote is "Shoot like a Girl, if you can!    ;D

oladcock

Congrats Eve, well deserved!, Good job to the whole crew. Eve, be careful, we'll put you to work! :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Techstyle

M and I had a blast! We're looking forward to the next shoot!