News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Central Texas fire report

Started by didactic, September 12, 2011, 11:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

didactic

Every 'seeder I know about got through the recent fires with no damage.

The Smithville range was for sure threatened, but was not harmed.  Wind was not blowing the fire directly at that area, and it calmed down in time to allow firefighters to work ahead of the fire and keep it from spreading in that direction.

Voortrekker and Kendra had a fire fairly close, but they were upwind of it and concerned, but never seriously threatened. (Spicewood fire)

I was about five or six miles south of the Union Chapel fire in western Bastrop County, but the wind abated in time and I was spared the necessity of evacuating.  But wife and I were loading vehicles Labor Day afternoon, preparing to evacuate.  I guess you could call that seriously concerned.  Blessedly, the wind abated in time for us to avoid that necessity.  I did have two safe routes out; had there been only one, I likely would have pulled out a lot sooner and just hoped to be missed.

LabRat had the closest call by far.  The main "Bastrop Complex" fire (so called because more than one fire joined together, and eventually consumed 34,000 acres and about 1,500 dwellings) got to within a few hundred yards of his house, moving really quickly.  They bugged out in a big hurry (bona fide EMERGENCY) and then, blessedly, the wind changed direction and his home was spared.  So the R's spend a few days bunking with friends, and are now in the process of moving back in to a very changed neighborhood, but with their place unharmed.

If any other Appleseeders were involved, I haven't heard.

All of us were received offers of help and places to stay.  And we all are truly blessed by the presence of supportive friends generally.

Thanks to God for sparing us that pain, and now on to the the job of helping those who were not so fortunate.  Of which there are many.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

scuzzy

Thanks for the update. I was just wondering about you guys this afternoon.

I'm glad nobody lost their home or loved ones. The whole state is like one big tinderbox right now. I'd cut back a few trees from around my home earlier this summer. I didn't want to do that but I wanted more of a fire break near the house. If it doesn't rain soon I might even cut back some more.

I've actually seen prickly pear cactus shriveled up and dying. Now that's dry.

Boy, what a summer.

And our oak tree started dropping their acorns last week. Guess it's gonna be one cold winter here. Or could lack of water make them drop this early? Don't know.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Wade

We saw some of the Bear Creek Fire S of Linden on US 59 close enough to the Road I wonder if it was closed after we went by,,,

Glad to hear all we know of are ok.

Wade & Kim
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

hawkhavn

Thank you for the report, I've been thinking a lot about the Texas crew these last few weeks.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

AlarmList76

We have a new fire near Stillhouse Hollow lake just south of Ft Hood and Harker Heights (about 6 miles from my house).  I have several friends and co-workers that live near the fire location.  It is small now (~500 acres) and 50% contained at last report.

Alarmlist76

Cooper

Thanks be to God that all are unharmed thus far!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Texas Rifleman

Glad you guys were spared.
Yep it has been quite a summer in the South this year.
All the best you guys.
David
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

POP

Whew!  Dean that was close.

About 6 this evening I spoke with my brother who lives in Austin.  "What's the real scoop on these fires, Bro?  Looks pretty bad on the news."

He told me about Bastrop State Park, we both wondered about the UT Research Lab at Buescher State Park next door.  I had no idea so many homes had been destroyed.

Dean, John, Brett, and your families, God has plans for you. 

Thanks for posting, Dean.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

LabRat

Thanks all for the concern and prayers.

We made it through with no physical damage other than some spoiled food, but it's very sobering to come back to your house and see pieces of charred pine bark lying all over the place in patches of dried grass that by some miracle didn't ignite. God was watching out for us for sure.

God bless all the volunteer firefighters who gave everything they had to minimize the damage and loss of life. Some of them were out there all week working to protect others' homes even though they had lost theirs! I can't give enough credit to these guys and "above and beyond" doesn't even begin to cover the job they did.

I'm happy to report that everyone in the community has spontaneously come together in a big way to help out those who have lost everything, the sole bright spot in this mess. Individuals have done a lot more on their own stick than all the .gov agencies combined.

POP, the Science Park lab is fine. Fire got within about 1.5 miles and little of Buescher State Park was affected. Bastrop State Park was unfortunately almost a total loss, with only 100 acres remaining unburned out of about 6500 acres that make up the park.

A trip on Hwy 71 between Bastrop and Smithville shows just how bad the fire was...for about 8 miles along that stretch, there is almost nothing left.

It's going to be a long time coming, but recovery will happen. Pray for some rain to speed the process!

Take care y'all and see you on the trail.

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

plinker

:'( Unfortunately, I have a good friend of mine in the Bastrop area who lost everything in the fires.  I'm still waiting to hear if his family needs anything.

JustJeff

Quote from: plinker on September 15, 2011, 02:21:01 PM
:'( Unfortunately, I have a good friend of mine in the Bastrop area who lost everything in the fires.  I'm still waiting to hear if his family needs anything.

Sorry to hear that.... and YES!! of course they need something.  If they lost 'everything' they need all the basics.  Clothes, furniture, etc.  Sorry I'm not in the area to give what I can, but I can ship a box of slightly used mens clothes if you want to give me a mailing address.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

plinker

I appreciate the offer!  Right now they are staying with extended family in the Austin area and we haven't heard much from them yet - except that they have received LOTS of offers for assistance.  I think they're going to be OK for now, but if I hear of anything they need, I'll pass the request along!