News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Manhattan Sept 9, 10

Started by kDan, September 11, 2011, 10:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

Two nights a month we get together in the basement of 20 W 20 st in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan at the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range to talk history and marksmanship, and then to shoot rifles at scaled down targets.  John from the range sticks around after closing to let us finish up well after everyone is gone.  Darren, the range owner, refuses to take our money and donates his facilities, rifles, and staff.  We sit in a classroom and talk history and marksmanship.  We gather around two wooden tables and prep mags.  We grab eyes and ears and we're on the line, pausing our breath, focussing on front sights, and squeezing triggers.  Even after three events it's still a strange moment to walk away from an Appleseed and step into the lights of Chelsea with its music, bouncers, and throngs of people making the Saturday night scene.  As out of place as one may momentarily feel, it's quickly apparent how easy it is to just melt away into the crowd on the subway platform and disappear, all the time knowing you've just been a part of something extra-ordinary.  Messenger bag full of targets, slings, and flags. 

This was our third go-round.  Heather from Long Island worked as an IIT both nights (thank you thank you thank you) and Captmac made the trip from Connecticut to help us out on Friday.  Hopefully, I'll be working with the Capt again.  This guys is as qualified a Red Hat as they come. :bow:    Robino, whom I haven't seen on the line in quite a while was there to help out too.  NY Instructors who don't know Robino?  Well, that's because he was around before most of us, and has been busy teaching High School and coaching wrestling and not had much time to get out on the trail, but when I called him and said I needed help, he was there, wearing what used to be my Orange Hat four years ago.  He didn't lose it.  Thanks Rob.  And hey, where else can an AS Instructor work the line at an event while his girlfriend is outside shopping on Fifth Avenue in the lights of a Saturday night?  Micah, another NYer, also took the hat and helped us on the line Saturday.  Thanks, bro.  That hat is yours now.  HA!!!   And again, there's Heather.  Thanks, Heather. 

I think something like about half our shooters came out on Heather's recommend as well, and she's like "what's seventh stepping"?  We had two return shooters, one of whom has been to all three events, and everybody that came out on Friday night, came back on Saturday.

There's not really a whole lot to say about this event, except that we are able to take folks that live in NYC and have very little access to some of the things that the rest of the country SHOULD NOT take for granted, and we give them a little taste of Appleseed.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

jmdavis

Dan,

It have to tell you that these events do more to renew my hope for this country that virtually anything else I can think of. Appleseeds in Manhattan! Who would have thought? Congratulations and great job!

Blue still has a food bowl down in Ramseur, I hope that he gets a chance to use it and we maybe get a chance to do some shooting.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Cal 7.62

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

CaptMac

Thanks kDan.   You should be expecting me to show up again in the basement of 20 W 20th St.

We often hear and say:  "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome."  Try an Appleseed to which no one is bringing their own rifle.  One to which you can get the shooters there for two nights, but you are only shooting on the second.  You'll have something like a classroom on the first night, with rifles, but they are not set up to be LTRs.  Oh and, more than half of the shooters have never shot a rifle before.  Yes, the Manhattan Appleseeds give a new and real meaning to the phrase "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome." 

I went to this Appleseed to see how kDan, and whoever else was there to instruct was improvising and adapting.  There were moments when things were out of the order to which I am accustomed, and most of Appleseeders would feel the same.  But, that's not the point.  The point is to take Appleseed into a place that is not otherwise going to get any Appleseed.  I went in part because in my area of Connecticut, a fifty-foot indoor range is probably the only option, and I thought I could learn something.  I went because it is by far the closest Appleseed venue to my home.  I went, in a small part, because I lived in NYC for years, only having left 2.5 years earlier.  And, I went because I feel like I get something out of instructing at an Appleseed that I have not found a way of getting elsewhere.  As usual, the best parts of Appleseed are this last thing and the people. 

I wish I could have made it back Saturday, but other obligations called.  I will make it back, God willing.  But I did get in a second day of Appleseed this weekend, at a venue 140 miles away.   

Finally, for anyone who lives near any city that has yet to have an Appleseed, and I mean IN the city, so long as there is a range, you can do it.  This Appleseed venue is the proof.  And if you can do it, why wouldn't you? 

EDIT:  Just wanted to add that New York offers as much opportunity to Seventh Step as one might ever have, and it can happen FAST, like in a New York minute.  We took a break for some eats and during that time I walked a few blocks to Staples.  The dry erase marker we had was dying.  On my way back into the range, two members of the NYPD were walking out.  We exchanged friendly greetings, then one of them joked that I needed to be careful with my trigger finger, which had the Staples bag hanging from it. My quick response was that I was teaching not shooting, and I saw interswt in his face.  He had never heard of an Appleseed, but he and his partner made darn sure they had written down the web address before I left them.  Our conversation lasted less than a 30 seconds. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

kuroneko

Thank you soooo much to kDan, CaptMac, Heather, Micah, Robino  :bow:

You guys made it so much fun and interesting and I learned a so many new things that when I left I was giddy as a schoolboy. When I got home I was gushing to my wife how awesome it was and how cool everyone was.

After the first (classroom) night with Kdan giving the intro and basics of what Appleseed was about and with CaptMac giving us the history lesson, and all 3 of you teaching us the basics, I was totally hooked!! Just the enthusiasm you guys showed made me want even more.
I came home that night and straight away became a member of the RWVA.

The 2nd night was great as well! Finally being able to shoot and put to use what we were taught about the 6 steps and NPOA and and for me even how to hold the rifle ;D (its been 20 years since the last time I shot a rifle at summer camp hehe)

As kDan said, Major props to Darren the owner of Westside for letting us use his place and equipment and to John for working overtime so that we all could have this wonderful experience!! I intend to become a member there just as soon as I get the background check done and take the safety class  O0

I will definitely be there for the next Appleseed!! I hope to see you guys again.

akira

R1SGx2

Nice work by all,

What a weekend to have an Appleseed,

Thank you to all....  :bow: O0 :bow: O0 

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

DieslPwrd

What a joy it is to read your posts about Manhattan AS, after I got over saying to myself," surely this is Manhattan, KS and not the real Manhattan," (sorry, Kansans).  It's great to know AS is now in my favorite city, where the subways have ads decrying plastic guns as children's toys.  Thank you for what you're doing.  O0
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman