News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Northwood Iowa AAR

Started by Johnnyappleseed, September 11, 2011, 12:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

Northwood is a beautiful place and the  ;D

What really makes this special are the people ---- Every attendee made the founders proud .
Many thanx to the Worth conservation board and a special thank you to the board members and Dan who made this event possible  O0

We are proud to announce Dan has accepted IIT
Congratulations Dan ,our newest IIT .

Will post  later --after some rest .

Respectfully,
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Old Glory!

Dan, thanks for hosting Appleseed!

Were you up at LaCrosse last year camping with the youth?

Good to see Appleseed in Iowa.  O0
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

loves2hunt59

Wonderful people, delightful locale.
Thanks to all who attended and made us feel so welcome in Northwood.  Teachable attitudes and real effort on the part of the attendees make instructing a true pleasure.  Special hat tip to the crew at the Lacrosse event who planted the 'seed that bore fruit in Northwood this weekend.
Thanks to Deerslayer for his efforts to arrange and promote this event and for stepping up to the responsibility of IIT.
Congratulations to Matt and Michelle for scoring Rifleman on Sunday and thanks to both for accepting IIT as well.
Thanks also to Johnnyappleseed for coming aboard to SB on VERY short notice.
As an addendum:  Anyone who enjoyed this Appleseed in Northwood is hereby reminded that Decorah, IA is hosting an Appleseed Sept. 17-18.  Hey, it's almost in your own backyard so come on over and bring a friend ( or a family, or two  >:D)   If you feel good about what was accomplished in Northwood encourage your friends and neighbors to register for Decorah so they can feel good too!! 
Dan, Matt, and Michelle those dandy new hats  could use some breakin' in. Check with Cooper and see about lending a hand in Decorah, or even Dubuque!!   ;D

ahhshoot

Sounds like a good weekend!
Thanks for stepping up Dan. Now try to make more riflemen than there are corncobs in that state. O0
The past is only the future with the lights on.

Whisker

Thanks Dan! I guess this means we'll be seein ya more now!  Excellent.
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

deerslayer

Here are the two new riflemen!  Yes, I was at Lacross last year and convinced my conservation board to have a appleseed, hopefully they will let me do it again and again... I don't think that will be a real problem with one of my board memebers now being an rifleman (good job Matt and Michelle).  Instruction was great.
Dan

deerslayer

A note on rifles....

I shot my first appleseed with a scoped 10/22 which is pretty much the perfect appleseed gun (especially for eyes feeling their years in the sun).  I've played with a few others in the mean time, and did a little shooting this weekend with a spikes tactical upper on my M16.  Two problems with what I was shooting, a cheap scope was not holding zero, and something in my rifle doesn't like stick mags and causes jams, drums work fine but hard to properly hold the rifle in prone with the proper hold.  One or even worse two jams in the fast parts of the AQT will pretty much spoil your day.

The other thing I dug out before the shoot was my old ammo tests.  I had tested quite a few brands of .22 ammo in several guns.  The short version is that anything packed in a bulk pack was delivering groups twice the size of even cheap ammo packaged in the nice stacked boxes.

So, if you are going to an appleseed, invest a few bucks and test some different ammo through your gun off good sandbags so that you will know what shoots best.

Johnnyappleseed

Good advice deerslayer  O0
I kept the target I shot with your rifle   ;)

It will be a week or so until I can post pics ---hopefully others can post earlier than that
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Kosciusko

Quote from: deerslayer on September 13, 2011, 12:46:27 AM

The other thing I dug out before the shoot was my old ammo tests.  I had tested quite a few brands of .22 ammo in several guns.  The short version is that anything packed in a bulk pack was delivering groups twice the size of even cheap ammo packaged in the nice stacked boxes.

So, if you are going to an appleseed, invest a few bucks and test some different ammo through your gun off good sandbags so that you will know what shoots best.

I recommend CCI Blazer,  bricks, 10x50=500 rounds for $17.49

delivers about 85% the accuracy of Mini-Mag at half the price, pretty much zero misfires,  have not seen it fail to feed/fire/eject in my revolvers &  pistols, or any rifle it's been used in on the Appleseed firing line. 

When shooters are having trouble with their rifle going bang, I give them a box and it usually clears things up.

IMO, the best bang for the buck

Old Glory!

Quote from: deerslayer on September 12, 2011, 04:12:28 PM
Here are the two new riflemen!  Yes, I was at Lacross last year and convinced my conservation board to have a appleseed, hopefully they will let me do it again and again... I don't think that will be a real problem with one of my board memebers now being an rifleman (good job Matt and Michelle).  Instruction was great.
Dan

Ahh Dan....good to see you in action in Iowa!   

Welcome Matt and Michelle!  Congratulations! 

Yes, another Appleseed will be a good 7th step.  Let's reach out to some more people in your county, and share America's unique heritage.

What dates are you thinking might work out?
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

dragonfly

Hi deerslayer, here's a blast from the past

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Kosciusko

I remember that guy.  Congratulations!