News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Toccoa, Georgia Sept. 3-4, 2011

Started by DrJohn, September 06, 2011, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

We had a particularly fine Appleseed event last weekend, beginning with the beautiful weather (well, it WAS a bit hot Saturday). We began with the First Strike of the War for Independence, then shot our first Redcoat target of the weekend. We then began a series of instructional modules and squares targets, over and over. As the day progressed, large groups became smaller and small groups became smaller still. At lunch we heard the Second Strike of the War for Independence, and we soon began shooting AQT targets Saturday afternoon. In mid-afternoon we heard the Third Strike of the War for Independence, then onto more AQT targets. By the end of the day we had three new Riflemen, Kevin Churan (219), Ben Wilkinson (215), and Steve Lundeen (212). But there were any number of others "knocking on the door" and dramatic improvement in all our students. It is the firm belief of all the instructors present that any of our students last weekend with the persistence and determination WILL score Rifleman. They all have the ability and they all showed most praiseworthy determination.

As evidence of their determination, almost all Saturday's students returned Sunday, in spite of the prior day's heat and obvious student fatigue. Great patriotic Americans! Our forebears would be proud. Because of an agreement with the local churches, we didn't begin shooting until after lunch Sunday. Instead, students attended several classes, including "Philosophy of Liberty", "Shooting at Actual Distance" and "Tuning Your Rifle to Fit". We heard vignettes of our courageous ancestors during lunch Sunday, what we call "Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Courageous Children". We learned that everyone participated in the struggle for Liberty on April 19, 1775, and it was a most inspiring message. After reviewing the fundamentals from the previous day, we began the "AQT grind" Sunday afternoon. By late afternoon, all were pleasantly fatigued, but much had been accomplished. There was much improvement in rifle marksmanship skills, but more importantly, we heard the Story of April 19, 1775, a story which cannot but inspire us with hope and determination. It is with eagerness that I look forward to being able to return to Toccoa to meet students from earlier "shoots" and make new friendships in our struggle for Liberty. Huzza!!!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

brianf31

This was a great shoot! We had two firing lines, both with eager and enthusiastic students that improved as the shoot progressed.

It was encouraging to see so many young people and families in attendance. They could have easily stayed home in the heat, but they came to shoot and hear about our heritage of liberty instead. It was a privilege to be there!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Endangered

I would like to add that Steve Lundeen shot his rifleman score with a BOLT ACTION rifle.  My hat is off to this determined rifleman.

- Andy

PHenry

I must say that the shooters in GA are a fine bunch of Americans, and it was an honor for me to be amongst ya'll.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata