News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Lewistown, PA - Sept 3, 2011 - KD Day

Started by Chainsaw, September 05, 2011, 04:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chainsaw

Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011 -  Pennsylvania's first instructor KD day!

Hazy, 2-3mph breeze, temp was 70 in the morning, but rose to "pretty hot" in the afternoon, overall a very nice day for shooting.

Nine instructors got to shoot on the 500 and 1,000 yard ranges at the Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association, Lewiston, PA.  This range is a real treasure located in Central PA halfway between State College and Harrisburg.

BigRob, Brickhouse, CharlieHotel, EZ3, lprgcfrank, Mal, sgtrock, stevepelle91, and SunnyAM tore up the mountainside with the big guns, 3 - AR15s, 1 -AR10, 1 - Mosin and 4 - M1s.  What a beautiful sound!

We didn't have a 400yard target line and opted to use the 500 yard line for the 4th stage of the AQT.  This obviously makes for quite a challenge.  Sgtrock rose to that challenge and screwed 88% of his 62s into the black.  His fellow instructors were suitably impressed.  Of course he really outdid himself after hours when he put a round dead center into the 1,000 yard target with his Garand, offhand.

We all learned some valuable information about our rifles and made good use of that rare occasion when instructors get to do the shooting.  If you have the facility available I highly recommend setting up a KD day.  We can do much better as instructors with the first hand knowledge afforded us by quality days on the range.

Big thanks for the use of the SUVs.  Checking targets would have been really difficult without them... Only Steve P has Steve Ps energy!

States represented:
NY 5 - 1 upstate, 1 Queens, 3 LI
PA 3
WV 1

Here's to many more!

-Tom
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

brickhouse

Many more indeed! It was a blast. Thanks Tom for getting it all set up and running the darn thing. Learned lots.

What's wrong Tom? It looks like you just got a whiff of Stoner's shooting glove.

The man himself. Showing how it's done.
1000 yard shot offhand!?   
"Damn, this $hit works!" --Anonymous instructor present
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

brickhouse

Charlie Hotel and SunnyAM

EZ3

SunnyAM... ready for her close up

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

lprgcfrank

Tom,
Thanks for running the shoot. I need more practice!
Here is a link to the photo's and videos you took:  http://gallery.me.com/franktait/100016

Great to catch up with Brickhouse and EZ3 and with the NY contingent!

Whomever has my AR front sight tool (on the NRA bore gauge) - please give it to Sgt Rock and he can get it to me for the shoot we're working in Oct at Lewistown.
Frank
"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

brickhouse

Mal shows great form-- hitting steel at 400 yards.

Steve

Hmm.. missing pics of BigRob, sorry.

High level consultations out from under natures heat lamp

sgtrock

Chainsaw

Thank you for putting this event together!!
This KD day in Mifflin County, PA was a day of great instruction and shooting.
Days like these are a necessity to our organization, I hope to see a few more of these every year in this neck of the woods,,,,
This range is an absolute beauty, with an entire mountain as a back stop, it is very impressive,,,
It was a very good time on the range, with people that I have worked with, and with people that I will work with in the future,
It is extremely important to be able to go to distance with our rifles to better get what we teach down to a working knowledge so we can as instructors be better teachers for our students at our shoots,, They deserve that,,, having a dead on zero at 25yds/m is so important, to be able to use the come ups to effectively engage targets at longer ranges, we had no wind to speak of so it was only focusing on everything else.

The off hand shots, are they practical, maybe not, but they sure are fun, and with a range like this you can't say no, I was thinking we should try to put together a fun day here and shoot a full AQT at distance off hand, that would prove to be interesting.

It may have been quite a drive for everybody to go there, but it was well worth the time and effort,
This is a day to remember and I will help out as much as you need me to for future shoots,
The Mifflin County Sportsmen's Association, Inc has my Thanks for letting us come and improve our knowledge and experience,,,

sgtrock

EZ3

Thanks for organizing the shoot and for running it, Chainsaw.  It was a humbling yet gratifying experience.  Can we make it an annual event?  Next time you need to shoot, though.  Heck, we had plenty of instructors there. 
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

mal

Thanks Tom for running this event!  Can't wait to do it again. 

The Mifflin County Sportsman's Assoc. is indeed an awesome range.

I think these 'train-the-trainer' events are invaluable in keeping up the quality of our instruction.  I'm always learning something new & i think this event has made me a better instructor.  Hopefully i can pass that on to my students as well as you have.  As EZ3 said, a humbling yet gratifying experience.

Thank you again!

mal
~
~Malcontent

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams