News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Carrollton KY, Sept 3-4, 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, September 05, 2011, 12:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

The weather blessed us. Yea, it was hot, but the humidity was fine. 103 on Saturday and it was tolerable! Sunday dawned cooooooool and cloudy.

We had only four folks show up, but they were all shooters, willing to listen and willing to try the instruction with an open mind. It showed in the scores which were very good and improved all weekend.

Rimfire Jason pulled at 215 and backed it up with a second rifle, well done. Larry fought with his sights Saturday but returned Sunday with a scope mounted and nearly backed up his Rifleman score with a Centerfire. You will next time, I am sure of it. Centerfire Jason came after reading ARFCOM, walked up with an open mind, and was doing solid work with his 223. Practice those positions and the scores will climb.

You were all a great group to spend a weekend with, Niecie and I talked about how this was a favorite weekend for us as we enjoyed everyone's company so much. We had great weather, learned some history, learned some marksmanship, swapped yarns  ;D, left the better for spending the weekend with you.

Let's see if Niecie can get some pictures posted for us.

YHJ

PS. Before I forget, our youngsters who came to watch. Did anyone else notice what a great job Unbridled_Liberty did talking with them about Appleseed, the history of the Garand, how the AQT worked, what rifles were on the line? Very cool sir, very cool. Lloyd was right when he said it would be a day they would not forget.
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

Did Larry find that rock he was laying on last time?
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Unbridled Liberty

And Lloyd, despite his equipment problems, still managed to come this close (thumb and index finger held close together) to a Rifleman patch.  I am confident he will get it on the next one.

Story:
The two boys were observing Larry shoot Yellow House Jake's US Rifle, Cal. .30, M1. On the first shot, the muzzle blast scattered the dried leaves on the ground several yards in front of the rifle. One boy says to the other; "Whoa! Poppy should use one of those instead of his leaf blower!".  I think you now have a name for your rifle Dave; "Ol' Leaf Blower".

It was a joy meeting everyone yesterday.  Looking forward to working with you all again!  I posted some pics on our Facebook page, but I'm looking forward to Niecie's. 

http://www.facebook.com/KentuckyRifleman
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Kentuckiana Jones

Centerfire Jason here.

I got exactly what I expected and a little bit more from this weekend.

Good fun and good instruction, in good company. I enjoyed the history even if I already knew the better part of it. A new perspective is always interesting. The parts about "dangerous old men" was a particular favorite among many interesting bits.

Thanks Dave, Niecie, Kevin and Amy for volunteering your time and expertise.

Thanks Jason, Larry and Lloyd for being safe and responsible.

Thanks to all of you for being good company. I will always remember my first Appleseed  :)

yellowhousejake

Your attitude was a blessing to us as instructors, and we appreciated the willingness to try our instruction. Practice those positions, stretch a bit, go slow, and those transitions will become easier. I promise!

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

What a fantastic weekend!  103 degrees and we barely broke a sweat in the wonderful shade we had...well, all of us except Lloyd who was lucky enough to get his dose of vitamin D on the left end of the firing line.   ;D  Everyone was truly a pleasure to work with - Lloyd, Larry-Brian, Rimfire Jason and Centerfire Jason.  Your scores climbed all weekend and you all (I think I'm supposed to say ya'll in Kentucky, right?) soaked in the instruction like sponges. Thank you for a relaxing and fun weekend of Appleseeding!  I look forward to reading future AARs and seeing you all back on the line again - and bring a friend!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Kentuckiana Jones

After we broke Sunday, I stopped on the way home and bought a USGI web sling. Also, I have nearly rebuilt all the ammo we burned over the weekend :)

Niecie

It was such an awesome weekend! Great company, great weather, and the most amazing tiny range  :). Thank you to everyone that attended - we definitely look forward to seeing you all again!

Unbridled Liberty - it was a great pleasure getting to meet and chat with you. Kentucky is VERY lucky to have you!

AuntieBellum - it goes without saying - I love working shoots with you!

LLoyd, RF Jason, CF Jason, and Larry - you all make me so proud to be doing what we are doing. You all were the best students and a real joy to hang out with on our holiday weekend!

And a very special thank you to our hosts: We greatly appreciate your generosity!

Here are some photos for you all (or y'all) in the next post.

See you soon!

Niecie

Niecie

Our gorgeous facilities:

The Red Coat

Thanks to Unbridled liberty for a great backdrop!

Getting down to it:

YHJ giving "a lesson"

Great attentive students = more AQTs on Saturday:

A Rifleman for Saturday!! Congrats RF Jason!!

Learning the Rifleman's way...

Sunday is next,

Niecie

Niecie

Sunday - a very beautiful day

A Rifleman makes the best of what is at hand!

Larry jots his site adjustments on a handy leaf.

Ball and Dummy

Look at the great form!

I DO shoot better with my blue hat on!

The end

HUZZA!!!!

Thank you all for a great weekend!

Niecie

KYColonel

Wow, sorry it took me so long to register. This is Rimfire Jason... Just wanted to thank all you great instructors for your time and talents, you guys were great. I'm looking forward to seeing you all again in October, I've already gathered some new recruits.