News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Anti-Slip Abrasive Tape for Gunstocks??

Started by AlaSprout, August 25, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaSprout

My wife's 10/22 has a very smooth wooden stock.  At the Appleseed last year, one of the instructors put a small piece of what I can only describe as "coarse grit sandpaper with an adhesive backing" around the bottom of the grip, which was a tremendous help.  Does anyone know what kind of tape that was and where I can buy some of it?  TIA
Liberty has never come from the government.  Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.  The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
   -Woodrow Wilson, New York Press Club, 9 Sept. 1912

George Hacker

It's called "anti-slip tape" and you can get it at most hardware supplies.  It is often used on steps and ramps to keep feet from slipping.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

AlaSprout

Great!  It looks like Lowes carries it here.
Liberty has never come from the government.  Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.  The history of liberty is a history of resistance.

slim

For an even cheaper version of that stuff, stop by your local skate board shop. They'll probably give you some for free!

Spartan

They have it at Walmart and it works well.
"With your shield or on it"

voortrekker

All good info above.

I'd like to add for 10/22 buttstock, I suggest to cut out a piece that is no larger than about 7-8mm to the border of the buttstock.  This will help prevent the adhesive sand paper from separating from the buttstock after prolong use.

In addition, for those that shoot M1A's and don't mind the buttplate not being exactly GI specs.  Gluing coarse grit adhesive tape with gorilla glue works wonders in keeping that slippery buttstock in your shoulder pocket.

I did this 3 years ago with my M1A and it has made a huge difference in maintaining my steadhold factors.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Piker

Lowe's and Wal-Mart Right across from each other in Hampton Cove, just west of 431  O0
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Roland

The only bad part about putting this on the buttstock is it will chew up the shoulder of whatever you are wearing.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

BeSwift

I trimmed small pieces of it, and have it on all my Marlin 795 mags.. It improves purchase when trying to do a mag change when the clock it running... BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Kosciusko

Quote from: slim on August 25, 2011, 05:17:36 PM
For an even cheaper version of that stuff, stop by your local skate board shop. They'll probably give you some for free!

It wasn't free, but for $5,   I got enough to cover a very large skateboard,  enough for dozens of rifles.

Rimshot

Quote from: Roland on August 26, 2011, 05:47:56 PM
The only bad part about putting this on the buttstock is it will chew up the shoulder of whatever you are wearing.
...or possibly the shoulder of the one doing the shooting.  Anti-slip tape works great on a rifle with mild recoil like a rimfire, .223, or even an M1.  Not so good for harder kicking rifles.  I put some on my Mosin 3 weeks ago.  The shirt I wore is fine and the scab came off after a few days but I've still got a patch of skin that's been sanded down to a glossy finish. :slap:
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

AlaSprout

Thanks, gentlemen.

I picked up a pack of 5-7 strips of this at about 0.5 inches wide for roughly $4 at Lowes.  It served its purpose over the weekend, but perhaps a softer, non-slip butt pad would be easier on material and shoulder.  I'll check in to it.

9mm4545

There is less aggressive non-skid tape available than the ladder tread tape (skateboard tape) from Home Depot. Try a marine store (West Marine, for instance) and look for the 3M branded non-skid tape. There are variations which won't take the hide off you, unlike the ladder tread tape. I too have a jacket whose shoulder recoil pad is in need of some reinforcement/repair due to the use of ladder tread tape on a M1.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

sandpine

Also might try some of the handle wrapping tape for baseball bats & tennis rackets. Works well on garden tools, so I think it might do the trick here.

The anti-skid tape is good but can be brutal stuff depending on the grit you use.

YMMV.

Jeff
Jeff
-
Guntersville - B & G

Unbridled Liberty

Best thing I have found is the KIWI non-skid shoe tape:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/kiwi-sure-step-non-skid-shoe-pads/ID=prod1111241-product

They are readily available at Walmart, Walgreens, etc.

I use this on my SKS and it locks it to my shoulder, but is not abrasive.  Outstanding stuff.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

The Mrs.

We've use vet tape, even with the butt plate.  Just zig zag it a few times over the butt plate, then sinch it down with a couple wraps around the end of the stock.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist