News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Last Sporting Rifle Match of the year, 4 September, NRA Whittington Center

Started by nmmi9100, August 24, 2011, 12:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmmi9100

http://sportingriflematch.com

This is the last shoot of the year before Whittington (near Raton) shuts down for the year for Elk Hunts.  They don't shut down the whole range, but they do shut down the portion where the match is held.

I'll be there.  Long Rifle will be there.  We'd love to have you come too.

Match is held the first Sunday of the month, Febuary through September.

In short, here's the course of fire.  60 rounds of ammo.  No Sighters.  Steel Targets from 185 to 875 yards.  Targets are 1.5 to 2 MOA.  60 Targets.  10 Stages.  6 targets per stage.  4 minutes per stage.  Start in standing, go to prone/sitting depending upon terrain/foliage.  Engage all 6 known distance targets per stage.  No one has ever shot a perfect score.  For equipment, you need a rifle from 243 Win to 300 Win Mag.  You need a scope that you can dial comeups or a scope reticle with holdovers.  If you are awesome, you could probably shoot it with an M14/Garand and Iron sights.  Semi Autos OK.  It's a lot of fun.  Only takes 60 rounds.  And if memory serves, costs $30.  I haven't been for a month so I can't remember.

Great practice for hunting.  Great practice for tactical shooting.  Great practice for prairie dogging.  AWESOME LESSON in IMC and Wind Doping.  Here's the rifle I use for the match.  It's mostly bolt guns but there are also scope AR10s, M14s, and ARs in calibers bigger than 5.56.  5.56 is not allowed.

-David
Edgewood, NM

oladcock

Hey David, is that a "soft can" on the front of that thing? LOL Sounds like fun but they are a day late/dollar short, my elk season starts on the 1st....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

nmmi9100

OL:

It's an aramid lined nylon shroud (by TAB Gear) on the can to prevent suppressor mirage.  Cans get wicked hot, really fast.  If you don't cover them, you can get some serious mirage on them that will help you dope the wind at the muzzle, but that's not particularly the wind you wanna dope.

Initially, I resisted as $70 suppressor cover.  But the alternative is melting a sock to the can, igniting a cotton sock, or losing the ability to dope wind using mid-range mirage.

Good luck on your hunt.  Maybe you can make a shoot next year.

-David