News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marking rear sight on an AR15

Started by gr8horses2003, August 16, 2011, 07:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8horses2003

Mike and other High Power Shooters,

Another newbie question- What do you use to mark your zero on the rear sight of your AR?  I have NM sights - the elevation wheel only has dimples on it.  I have seen pictures where individuals have marked their zero's, but can't tell what they used.  Advice please.

Harry 

Justin

"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

jmdavis

I suggest that you wait to mark your sights, for a couple of reasons. One is that it is likely that as we work on your position, your windage zero will change. Another is that it is good to learn to "count down" your sights so that you know what exact zero you used for a particular range, light condition and distance.

But to do so, you can use fingernail polish or a metallic fine point Sharpie.

For elevation , I only mark zero (elevation knob bottomed out) so that I can tell at a glance that the rear sight is all the way down.  For windage I mark my no-wind zero (which is likely different than mechanical zero). It may take a couple of range trips for you to be fully comfortable with your "no wind zero."

This is a good photo essay of the process. But I should note that the author is using a White Oak NM upper and that the front sight is adjustable for windage. This makes it  possible to insure that mechanical zero and no wind zero for the rear sight are the same.

http://www.ocabj.net/?p=654

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

gr8horses2003