News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL August 13-14

Started by 9mm4545, August 16, 2011, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Saturday began with 16 patriotic Americans on the line learning about their nation's heritage and the tradition of fine marksmanship. There were some familiar faces in the group as well as some first time Appleseed attendees. After sorting out various rifle issues early on, the business of marksmanship got to clipping along. The fire hose was opened up right off the bat with demonstrations and instruction on sling use, the prone position and the steady hold factors, the all-important Six Steps, and finally Natural Point of Aim. My worries about "too much, too soon" were not realized as everyone seemed to grasp the concepts, if not the perfect execution. The groups on target began to rapidly shrink as the temperature steadily rose. By noon everyone was ready for a break and we chilled out under the fans and heard about Paul Revere's thrilling ride and the massacre in Lexington. The afternoon started again with the ball and dummy drill and then the ever popular seated positions. As the steamy afternoon progressed it was becoming clear that we were in a race with the weather. Reloads, NPOA shifting, Rifleman's Cadence, Transitions, the Standing Position were all part of the mix, along with another well deserved break and the Second Strike. The fabled AQT was undertaken and was moving along well when the Mother of All Thunderstorms decided that the shoot was over. The rain was not an issue, nor the howling winds--it was the frequent lightning that ended the event. Somehow, nobody thought that standing in a lightning storm with a lightning rod (rifle) in their hands was a good idea and we called a ceasefire. By the time the storm finally ended, the target line was in tatters and there was a small lake forming. All we could do was tell the ending of April 19th as the Redcoats were driven back to Boston and the Third Strike of the Match ignited the war for America's independence. Despite our rather rude finale, courtesy of Mother Nature, everyone had a good time and there was definite improvement in our shooting.

Since most of the folks from Saturday returned on Sunday, our initial review was quickly accomplished and we were shooting AQT's well before lunchtime. There were some impressive targets being turned in and by the day's end we had two new Riflemen to join the ranks of "those who know what they are about". Congratulations Tom and Jon! Nice work. Jon was not given the benefit of the "30 caliber rule" because with his M1A he didn't need it! Tom, shooting a .22, didn't need it either as there was no doubt about his hits. Angelica was braver than most as she eagerly took up Smoak's offer to shoot his "buffalo gun"--a lever action .45-70. That was impressive! (Shoot like a girl--if you can!) Shane will be joining the Riflemen ranks soon if he keeps up his practice as he was literally "knocking on the door". Christy, I do hope you can find a way to patch up your broken AK. A new stock might be the easy way however. Pedro, your shooting was looking very good. Dry fire is your friend. 10 minutes a day is my prescription. Alex and Patrick--you guys are going to be impressive and be sure to tell your scouting friends about Appleseed. We could use more of the people like you. Jason and Angelica--bring Adam back with you next time. All three of you were great fun and a pleasure to work with. You are going to be excellent shots in time. And finally, although you could only come for one day, Karen, Gary, and Dakota, you showed real grit and we enjoyed having you there. Come again and I promise we will have better--well, different--weather for the next shoot. Richard, I commend you for hanging in there taking the punishment that a true battle rifle metes out. Remember: Front sight on target, front sight on target. I commend your grit and the only way you won't become a Rifleman is by quitting--which I definitely don't see happening! Ray, you might have been the smallest shooter on the line but you have a big heart and enthusiasm that knows no bounds. I left the event secure in the knowledge that we all actually did something to help save our country. With folks like these, the heritage and traditions will remain alive and we will have a better country because of it. Thank you Tom and Frank for accepting Orange Hats and thanks to you Shane for accepting a Blue Hat. You guys are welcome on my team anytime. And a huge thanks to everyone for coming out.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

50calTank

It was a wonderfull weekend and I have never been more proud to be an American than when i see how much this program means to everyone. It was a true pleasure to see everyone improving and learning about our past since like the saying goes without understanding the past we are bound to repeat the same mistakes. It's an honor to get to be an orange hat and to help carry on these traditions. I would also like to thank Rambo granny for staying after sunday to help ray a bit with his shooting. Now all he wants to do is shoot more and improve.I think i can speak for all who were there in saying thank you to instructors for knowing what they are about. One last thing to Rambo granny we have a video of moms reaction to toms patch for you to see i think you'll get a kick out of it.

ShaneD22

It was a great honor to shoot next to so many patriots this past weekend. I haven't found anything that is more fun than hearing the true history of our country, and shooting with all the future, or current, Riflemen, and Riflewomen. I'm very proud of Tom for finally getting his patch. He deserved it, and now it's time for him, and Frank, to get a new course of floggings :P. I may not have gotten my patch this time, but that hasn't detered me from improving myself, or from working on getting it in the future. All I need to get it is, and I quote, "Perfect Practice", because practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect.

I hope the next Appleseed I attend is as much of a success as this one was, and I can't wait to see those familiar faces, and those new faces working their way to getting that patch, and that honor. Madam Yotnottin is on my side for the next Appleseed, and I know she's watching over us all as we work to bail our sinking ship. So, for not, I bid you all safe travels, and days, and hope to see you all very very soon.
There would be no life to live where it not for our brothers and sisters who have given their lives for us. Live every day with a smile on your face, and a thank you pointed towards heaven for them. We love you all, and will never forget you!