News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Mayhill NM Aug 13/14

Started by Jimi, August 15, 2011, 10:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimi

Well, it was an interesting shoot to say the least. It started with arriving about 1300 Friday to start setting up the range and setting up camp as well.

First "Rattle" out of the box almost stepped on Charlie No Shoulders, (western Diamond Back). That got the blood going early.

Then the afternoon showers came through, that was a welcomed relief since we have not had any measurable rain in the Pecos Valley in over 3 months.

Cooled things off and made it nice for the other instructors arriving as well as the wife guiding in one of our shooters family.

Saturday started off with high hopes of a full line, but rapidly deteriorated to a single shooter. No problem, he, Les, did get some "individualized" instruction. It started off kind of bad for him, getting bayoneted on the morning Red Coat. However, his ability to pay attention, ask questions and his attention to detail proved very helpful. By lunch he was shooting "groups" on the squares that you could cover with a quarter, and some that you could cover with a button.

He started to show the tiredness of working Friday and driving up that night about 3, but he refused to sit out or quiet.

The afternoon Red Coat he had consistant groups and nailed the 200 Yard, as well as the MSQ.

That night in camp the evening was filled with good times, fun stories and continued history lessons. The trout fishing was hampered by high muddy water from some much needed rains further up in the mountains. But that did not stop folks from washing off in a small side cut in the river.

The dawn of Sunday came bright and clear with a cool morning breeze. I helped start off the day with bacon on the griddle, hash browns, (thanks to Tim), scrambled eggs and toast all cooked on the open fire pit. Also lots of good old cowboy camp coffee.

After the morning refresher on the safety rules, six steps and line commands. We shoot the morning Red Coat. Les had lost nothing during the night, 200 was a given, and just a hair more and 300 would have been in the bag. The MSQ didn't have a chance.

In doing the SHF's and shooting positions review Margie had an idea. The instructors assumed the positions and another instructor watched as Les reviewed the SHF for each. Needless to say, being impressed was an understatement.  :o :o With almost no coaching he got everything right, Verbatim, and even enhanced such details as trigger pull, follow through and NPOA.  O0 O0(wow, wish we could have more of these on every line at every shoot).

With every AQT he showed improvement and a steadfast attitude of getting it right and asking questions. O0 O0 By the end of the day he was steady on his numbers and inching to the Rifleman Score with steady determination.

I forsee him shooting to Riflemans Standards at the next AS in the future. Will have an Orange hat waiting for him when he is confident and ready. He would make a great asset to AS, and I look forward to the day.

I also must say a big Thank You to Tom, Pam and Camile Runyan for hosting us on a private range on one of the most beautiful rivers in the state.

Will get pictures posted as soon as I get some in.

Enough for now, will let some others post their comments.
Jimi  ;)
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

I had a great time.  This was my first time to camp at an Appleseed and it was a good experience.

The shoot went well.  Since we only had one student (Les) he was able to have at least one instructor with him the entire time.  Also, we instructors were able to do a little shooting ourselves.

Les's wife loved the history and kept wanting more.  She acted like the best part of her day was when we started into the history at lunch and the worst part was when we had to stop telling the stories and go back to the line.  Her family has some Revolutionary history and some of the history related directly with her families history.

Les did well and learned fast.  I look forward to seeing him again on the Appleseed trail.

Attached is a picture I took from my phone standing just behind the line.  It doesn't quite do justice to what you see in person out there but it's still not bad.

Tim

JustJeff

Quote from: 336 on August 16, 2011, 12:12:36 AM
I had a great time.  This was my first time to camp at an Appleseed and it was a good experience.

The shoot went well.  Since we only had one student (Les) he was able to have at least one instructor with him the entire time.  Also, we instructors were able to do a little shooting ourselves.

Les's wife loved the history and kept wanting more.  She acted like the best part of her day was when we started into the history at lunch and the worst part was when we had to stop telling the stories and go back to the line.  Her family has some Revolutionary history and some of the history related directly with her families history.

Les did well and learned fast.  I look forward to seeing him again on the Appleseed trail.

Attached is a picture I took from my phone standing just behind the line.  It doesn't quite do justice to what you see in person out there but it's still not bad.

Tim

Yup, it's pretty awesome up there.... when you moving there?
Mayhill, last year, was MY first AS and I had a total BLAST.  Nothing like a nice campfire afterwards to boost the cameraderie.  I'd have been at this one, but it was at the tail end of my trip to Minnesota (didn't get back til 3am Sunday).  Jimi, you should see if you can get another one scheduled before the cold hits.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Jimi

Just got off the phone with Les and his wife Abby. Abby went through her family tree book and is going to send me some stuff. 3 of her relatives were with one unit that faught on April 19 1775 and there are a few more in other units. Some were wounded or killed later at Bumker Hill.

So it looks like I can get some new info on a freinds relatives who were THERE  ^:)^ ^:)^ :o :o O0 :bow:

Jimi
Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT