News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Simsbury, CT Aug 13-14 2011

Started by The Log, August 14, 2011, 09:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Log

Just a quick few words to get the ball rolling before I hit the shower and start slipping into a coma. What a shoot! Twenty-something unique shooters over the weekend, outstanding hospitality (per usual) by Metacon, motivated and enthusiastic shooters, and seven new Riflemen! And as if that's not enough, a rousing treatment of the Three Strikes by our very own Glock23, marking his progress to IIT4! Huzzah, huzzah huzzah!

But I can see by the fact that it has taken me 15 minutes to type this, what with going back to correct with all the speling and punc-tuation errors that I'm making, that it's time to hit the showers. Feel free to post your pictures and share your thoughts on another successful Metacon shoot. I'll have more when I regain consciousness and can find my camera.

</log>
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Old Ironsights

Sounds like a great seed.  Seven new riflemen, a testament to the quality of instruction!

My other volunteering (BSA summer camp for my two sons) prevented me from being able to attend :'(.

Glock23, wish I could have experienced your rendition of the Three Strikes in person.  I am certain it was inspiring to all in attendance.

Was there a dragonfly?
The USS Constitution:  Pride of the U.S. Fleet.  Named by George Washington.  Built in Boston. Earned her nickname fighting the British.  She is a Frigate - fast, light, carrying just enough firepower to get her job done, yet not so much as to encumber.

In 1830, the Secretary of the Navy declared her unfit for service.  Destined to be scuttled, the PEOPLE would not have it!  The barnacles slowing her were scraped, she was re-fit, and returned to her original glory.  Thrice more over the years, the PEOPLE restored her.

Now, she is the oldest floating commissioned naval vessel in the world.  In 2010 she celebrated her 213th birthday.

How appropriate her name.  I have faith in We The People!

The Log

Quote from: Old Ironsights on August 15, 2011, 12:09:58 AM
Was there a dragonfly?
No dragonflies were harmed in the making of seven Riflemen. It was a close call for a couple of unwise red tailed hawks and a stray great blue heron, though. And I hear tell that during Dave's FSTOM, a black bear cub wandered across the field next to the range. I'm sure mamma bear and the cub's brother or sister were not far away.

Anyone who missed this shoot missed a great AS experience - I'm all after-glowy now. But, if you want to capture a little bit of that, please feel free to sign up for a tour at the Goshen Fair promo booth on Labor Day weekend. A great chance to present Appleseed to 40,000 Americans in need of the 'Seed.

</log>

The Log

It did happen...

CT Appleseeders get spoiled by another covered line. How we like our comforts up here...

Shooters listening to what their targets are talking about. It must have worked, because we started seeing good groups early on.

Glock23 holds forth on his first telling of the First Strike of the Match.

I don't know, Dave - this guy doesn't look impressed. Or maybe he's just thinking, "Drat! Someone else better than me!"

vernic82

Wow - it looks like it was show & Tell with Boards and everything  O0

Great job guys!
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

CortJestir

This was another great shoot at Metacon. Third event there and the third one to sell out! Congrats to our 7 new riflemen and repeat riflemen as well as to all the students who stuck through it.

Thanks to the members of the Metacon Gun Club for lending us your rifle range for the whole weekend again, with nary a complaint. And a special thanks again to Dom for being such an ardent supporter of Appleseed. I'm sure we'll be seeing you next year at this time, and perhaps over the winter.  8)

CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Glock23

Geez, someone could have told me I had a Sharpie stuck to my neck...    ;D
And Log, that clearly looks like someone who is not impressed....or, someone  who is hiding behind their sunglasses, sound asleep. Hmmmmm.
What a glorious weekend to be an IIT3 on their way to RH. I could not ask for a better group of shooters with bigger teachable attitudes for my first rendition of the 3 Strikes of the Match. Your attentive (and dare I say interested!) faces made it easy - thanks for your patience as I went way too long telling a story I enjoy telling way too much!

Big thanks to Dom and Metacon who gave us a line full of Metacon members who were all simply awesome.

Thanks to The Log for the words of encouragement all weekend.
Thanks to Who_Me? for keeping me fed and hydrated.
Thanks to CortJestir for...observing...from the throne of beef jerky....  j/k! Always nice to have you as our resident safety net.  :bow:
Special thanks to freedomwon for having my back - I hope I get to return the favor. I'll always have yours! And for the donuts, of course, the donuts...

Luckily, the dragonflies got the word out that we were coming to town. Sadly, the ants didn't get the memo and many thousand probably met their end as .30-06 meteors rained down from an M1 Garand and a Savage Bolt gun along with many .223 meteorites, digging a centerfire moonscape all the way to the berm. Poor ants.

And now, some pictures. I spent the weekend talking, so I got very few shots this time. But it did happen, I was there!

A beautiful Saturday (that we paid for with Sunday). Gorgeous line with the picturesque Heublein Tower as a backdrop.

A Rifleman already! Wow!

Our youth shooters with CT's own youth IIT Who_Me?
These 3 fine young gentlemen were very impressive shooters! Next Appleseed will see a 210 for sure.

Another one...

...and another....

...and ANOTHER....

...AND ANOTHER! That's a 220...shot with a bolt-action....    :---

AND we minted at least two more Rifleman I didn't get pictures of.
That's 7 Rifleman - CT Crew representin' - gettin' er' dun!!!

The Log

Pix of our missing Riflemen:

Rifleman Joel - sorry the picture is a little dark. Maybe when you re-qualify at Raccoon Club in September with Michelle we'll have better lighting.

Rifleman Brian is all smiles on Sunday

And how can we forget our first Rifleman Peter, earning a shower of North Bridge Water for his 210. He later busted a 221, IIRC.

The Log

A few more pictures:

"Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?"

He does history, he instructs - he does it all! Glock23 wends along the road to Red Hat

Our fancy new Coroplast backers before the shooters got to them. Glad I made the investment - cardboard would have been impractical on Sunday, to say the least

The target line wasn't the only thing to get wet. Drying out the flags and our hats at home the next morning. I thought it was a good look, but Patty didn't want to keep them there permanently for some reason.

Glock23

"Hmmmmm....no foolin..."
   **)

Now wait a sec, check that out. There's another one from the Family of Logs who seems unimpressed with me. It's as if she's whispering to Art "He's full of crap. I can teach this way better..." What do I have to do to get some respect from you Logs, huh???

Quote from: The Log on August 15, 2011, 11:54:00 PM