News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

McLean is almost here! Come on out!

Started by TheEditor, August 14, 2011, 02:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

To all Illinois (and neighbors, as well) instructors and Appleseeders,

The McLean, IL shoot is coming up next weekend (Aug. 20-21).  This is a wonderful venue, centrally located, easy to get to, and as of this moment, underutilized.  Only four pre-regs and five instructors so far. 

If there are some Appleseeders that are looking for a nice friendly place to come hone their skills, this is it.  Shaded grass firing line, friendly hosts, who will cook your lunch for you for only a nominal donation - a few bucks will get you grilled burgers and dogs with all the fixins, chips, fruit, homemade dessert.  The hosts also fog the place each morning before anyone gets there, so bugs are NOT a problem. 

Only four miles off the Interstate 55 McLean exit, easy to get to. 

IIT's out there, if you're free that weekend, come on down.  With extra instructors, we'll get you some quality trigger time, and if anyone wants to work on any progress checks, we'll make it happen.  Set up?  Except for shade shelters, the landowner/hosts make this the world's easiest shoot to set up - firing line painted, target line set up and just waiting for stapled targets. 

What do you say?  Nobody says we can't have a little fun while saving the country!

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

colycat

Sounds like a great venue.  Remember, if each of the instructors could bring just one shooter, your attendance would double.

I know its not easy, but worth a try.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Castle Mountain

I know Dave OutofAmmo is bring several.   FYI

Cheers,

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

TheEditor

Just Joe is bringing a couple, and I recruited a couple from my work (those are two of the already-listed preregs). 

To make it easy, here are links to previous shoots at McLean.  Did I mention parking is very near the firing line - not a lot of distance to tote equipment...

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=16150.0

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23495.0

The Editor
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

Castle Mountain

Very familiar. With the range.  You are a good man! O0
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

M1D

Both McLean and Chillicothe have been on my 'must do' list for a long time.  Unfortunately, I don't know when this current work detail will end so that I can get back to what I want to do.
"....with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."
Our first Congressmen

"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated to the great task remaining before us....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain-that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom-and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
A. Lincoln

"That's what we do.  We're Americans"
USN Corpsman

Patriot Gal

It is a very nice range and the people who own the land are the best!!!  I would loved to have been there but thought Bonfield needed a few more instructors so we went there, then the instructors who were there, apparently thinking the same thing, went back to McLean!!! lolol  Just the Appleseed hopscotch!!

Sounds like you'll have a great shoot this weekend!!!

If anyone is so inclined, we could still use a few more instructors to help at the Bonfield shoot!!

Thanks!!
PG

Quote from: M1D on August 15, 2011, 12:12:16 PM
Both McLean and Chillicothe have been on my 'must do' list for a long time.  Unfortunately, I don't know when this current work detail will end so that I can get back to what I want to do.
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

TheEditor

Fourteen now pre-registered for McLean this weekend.  That's more like it!  Still room for 11 more, though.  (And if you're number 12 or 13, we'll make room on the line for you!) 

The Editor
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

I got a co-worker today to commit to coming for Saturday! 

Remember, you can always convince someone, or (even better) bring them with you, up to the last minute. 

Keep on 7th stepping!

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

yellowhousejake

Anyone else camping besides myself and Niecie? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

OutaAmmo

Quote from: yellowhousejake on August 18, 2011, 08:57:01 AM
Anyone else camping besides myself and Niecie? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

YHJ

No camping for me,  I will be bringing one of my 4-H students Sunday.  Have several others coming.  Hope I have enough loaner rifles.  Plenty of Ammo is going to make cookies to bring.  Looking forward to meeting you YHJ and Niecie

TheEditor

Tornado and Nightingale camped last time here. 

I'm willing, but I don't have a tent.  Well, I do, but it's a six man tent with no rain fly that I haven't had up in 15 years.  Just call me Mr. Preparedness. 

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: TheEditor on August 18, 2011, 02:32:13 PM
Tornado and Nightingale camped last time here. 

I'm willing, but I don't have a tent.  Well, I do, but it's a six man tent with no rain fly that I haven't had up in 15 years.  Just call me Mr. Preparedness. 

TE

No reason to feel left out, a tent can be made available, I have several.  O0

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

TheEditor

ok, then, if you bring an extra, I'm game.

Thanks.

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

yellowhousejake

Quote from: TheEditor on August 19, 2011, 01:21:18 AM
ok, then, if you bring an extra, I'm game.

Thanks.

TE

Consider it packed!

YHJ

YHJ

Just Joe

Any campers are welcome to swing by my place for a hot breakfast Sunday morning.  I'll be camping with 3 future Appleseeders at the brick schoolhouse on the corner.  Should have the food ready by 7:30.  Being Sunday, I also plan to have a small devotion at 7:00 while I'm slaving over the fire.  Just PM me if you plan on coming.